The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Artillery and other 'Heavy equipment'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Artillery and other 'Heavy equipment' Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Artillery and other 'Heavy equipment' Reply with quote

Hey Loc

You should consider posting the heavy weapons and and less portable equipment like the E-web blaster and (I don't know if these things have stats) but those portable communications things that the rebels used on Hoth

Its just when I see a bunch of stormtroopers behind sandbags manning a really big gun I'd like to know exactly how far away I need to run Shocked

Last edited by Esoomian on Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-Web Repeating Blaster

The E-Web is at the limit of "portable" blaster weapon technology - it is so heavy that troops can carry it, but they certainly can't fire it without tripod mounting. It is normally allotted as an infantry support weapon, and the crew is expected to keep the weapon moving with the troops for backup when needed.

Model: BlasTech E-Web Heavy Repeating Blaster
Scale: Character
Skill: Blaster: repeating blaster
Ranges: 3-75/200/500
Damage: 8D
Fire Rate: 1
Ammo: Power generator only
Cost: 5,000

8)

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The E-Web is the Star Wars version of the WWI and WWII Heavy Machine Gun (IE: Vickers MG or Water Cooled Browning MG).

Typically, the crews are three people for mobility:
Gunner, who carries the gun itself
Tripod Carrier
Generator Carrier

When positioned, the Tripod Carrier would either support with their personal weapon (Usually a Military Carbine) or act as a spotter for the Gunner. The Generator Carrier would monitor the Generator to make sure it didn't overheat or have other problems (Fusion Generators make really nice explosions.).

The crew can be cut down to two, but this inhibits the ability and mobility of the team, and gives no leeway for other problems. Worse case, the Gunner alone can man the gun, with an occasional watchful glance at the heat guage... But this is universally known by troopers as a "Bad Thing!".

Typically, in the field, they don't lug their gear TOO far, and often have vechicular/animal mobility close by, but under cover (Read: Leave the truck behind the hill, and lug the MGs up the hill.). This is typically.

(Note: Above info is based off of info from WWI/WWII research, the Movies, and my group's personal "Experiences". Your mileage may vary. Void in the Province of Quebec.).

The other items in question can be found in the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook or in Hideouts and Strongholds...

Which isn't helpful if you don't have those books. Laughing

I'll see what I can do from my end, no promises.

BTW, Loc, Nice listing of the books. *Checks Dates* OK, now I'm starting to feel old...

PS: According to the local military historian in town (He runs the military museum here, with permission, pay, and officer's rank from the local military unit.) the Vickers was retired for weight and mobility reasons only. Military tactics just got too mobile for it... Pity.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Thanks Loc

Anything else I'm likely to encounter?

What were those dish shaped guns that the stormtroopers were using on Hoth?

And are there E-Web repeating blasters or am I just imagining that?
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops and one more question

Can you set an E-Web blaster to stun?
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not Loc, nor do I play him on TV, but I can handle most of these...

The Dish-Cannons the REBELS were using on Hoth are, IIRC, Anti-Personelle Blasters (Either that, or Anti-Vechicle Blasters)...

The E-Web is a Heavy Repeater. So, yes. In my group's rules for Repeating Shots it fires 3 bolts for every pull of the trigger. But that's a house rule.

As for setting it on stun... Got me, but I don't recall anything being said against it (and do remember something in the Main Rulebook that "Unless otherwise specified in the notes, all Blasters can be set on stun"). Which would make it really effective in Mass Crowd dispursement in Imperial Friendly areas (Like Food Shortages on Core World Planets were the Empire is considered a group of Happy Friendly Peoples!).

PS: Mounting E-Webs on Freighters makes for a great "LZ Coolant System" as our Far Orbit crew found out. Very Happy
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
I'm not Loc, nor do I play him on TV, but I can handle most of these...

The Dish-Cannons the REBELS were using on Hoth are, IIRC, Anti-Personelle Blasters (Either that, or Anti-Vechicle Blasters)...

Oops my bad. Looks like it's been a while since I watched it... Thats what I get for loosing my extended edition set Embarassed

Ray wrote:
The E-Web is a Heavy Repeater. So, yes. In my group's rules for Repeating Shots it fires 3 bolts for every pull of the trigger. But that's a house rule.

As for setting it on stun... Got me, but I don't recall anything being said against it (and do remember something in the Main Rulebook that "Unless otherwise specified in the notes, all Blasters can be set on stun"). Which would make it really effective in Mass Crowd dispursement in Imperial Friendly areas (Like Food Shortages on Core World Planets were the Empire is considered a group of Happy Friendly Peoples!).

Yeah thats what I thought but the rules Loc posted give it a rate of fire of one...

I thought it might be able to stun but again I'm not 100% on those things.

I'm assuming that it also uses blaster gas and that it must go through a lot... Any idea how many shots before the stormies have to reload and you can charge them?
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Yeah thats what I thought but the rules Loc posted give it a rate of fire of one...

Like I said, house rule. Makes sense to my group and I, so, meh. GMs discression to change things that don't make sense.

Esoomian wrote:
I thought it might be able to stun but again I'm not 100% on those things.

As I said, I've never seen anything against, and have seen rules for if not mentioned...

Esoomian wrote:
I'm assuming that it also uses blaster gas and that it must go through a lot... Any idea how many shots before the stormies have to reload and you can charge them?

Yes, and, as for how much... Ummm... LOOK!!! *Points* AIR!!! *Runs*
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Es, the DVD Version is coming out soon. That was what I was waiting for before I bought it... 99+ Years with no Degredation in Quality!!!

But, back to your original question, I got in my hot little hands my group's "Rebel Alliance Sourcebook" after being threatened by my GM that, if anything happens to it, I have to find a replacement... SO YOU BETTER APPRECIATE WHAT I'M DOING HERE!!! Laughing

Portable Communication Dish-Gun-Thingie:

Light Anti-Vechicle Laser Cannon
( http://www.starwars.com/databank/technology/lasercannon/index.html ):

The most common of the Alliance's Anti-Vechicle Artillery is the Atgar 1.4 FD P-Tower, more because it is inexpensive than because it is particularly effective. The Atgar is readily available on the black market (Which may give you an idea of its worth in battle).

The Atgar is cordially detested by most Alliance infantry commanders: it isn't powerful enough to damage heavy Imperial vehicles, it is difficult to move and it is too expensive to abandon when it is attacked. If, they ask, the weapons don't protect them from the enemy and severely protect them from the enemy, waht good are they?

Making matters worse, the weapons' operators are quite vulnerable to attack, as all four of them must stand outside hte body of the gun to fire it. The lead operator aims the weapon by manipulating a small joystick controller on a portable firing computer. The other three crewmen monitor the recharging energy cells between shots - And the Atgar take roughly forever to recharge.

Given all of its deficits, it is easy to see why the Alliance is phasing the Atgar out. It is essentially its low price tag which keeps the light anti-vehicle cannon in operation at all.

Anti-Vechicle Laser Cannon
Weapon: Atgar 1.4 FD P-Tower
Type: Light Anti-Vechicle Laser Cannon
Scale: Speeder
Skill: Blaser Artillery: Anti-Vechicle
Crew: 4, Skeleton 2/+10
Cost: 10,000 (new), 2,000 (used)
Availability: 2, R or X
Body: 2D
Fire Rate: 1/2
Fire Control: 1D
Ranges: 10-500/2,000/10,000
Damage: 2D+2
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow they'd be better of with an E-Web even though it does character scale damage it's still more powerful.

I do appreciate it

Anything else I'm likely to encounter in the large and threatening firepower department?
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.starwars.com/databank/technology/heavyrepeatingblaster/?id=eu

Wow according to Starwars.com the E-Web is really great... Now I want to know about the F-Web
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main difference is that the F-Web has a small shield generator powerful enough to block blots from small side arms such as blaster pistols, but the generator requires a third crew member to operate it.

E-Web (15) took less than five minutes to set up and could fire for up to one hour without overheating. Many E-Web (15) include a shield generator8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy

Last edited by Hellstorm on Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow now thats a secure position
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I think to myself (... and I hope no one thinks to throw a thermal detonator my way... Oh darn here it comes ...BANG...Ouch!, that was loud, now, where's my left arm?) 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't the detonator bounce off the force field unless the throw was timed exactly?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: