The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsabre Throw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Lightsabre Throw Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it would be more sensible if the designers laid it out that way.
But they didn’t, they made it more about select powers, as I mentioned before with the Projected Fighting to TK comparison.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, but projected fighting is not the same as Force Throw, or Telekinesis. The thing is, throwing a lightsaber and having it wave around and slice stuff is just as simple as it sounds. If you are desperate for some printed material to use, why don't you take a peak at the heretical d20 version of Star Wars and see what the blasphemers came up with. Personally, using the Telekinesis difficulty number modifiers was a great idea and I'll use that if anyone of my players or GMC's throws a lightsaber. Smile

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, you guys are try to take something, that should be a relatively simple concept, and over complicate it...just think simple.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Rathe, I was under the impression that Projected Fighting was delivering a TK punch to a foe. If I’m wrong there, then I guess I just used a bad example. But I do know that other Force powers have TK in their descriptions and as the method of delivering the effect of said power. TK Kill for example. So I hardly think it would be a stretch to make another power for sabre throw. I just think that having everything wrapped up in one power would be a bit simpler, like having the power be scaleable in duration, damage, and distance.

Ragnar, we just want to have all the bases covered.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
HeavyBlaster
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for your info (as it was suggested a reference to the 'usurpers' ruling for the D20 game may be helpful) here it is.

Throwing Lightsabers

"Any character can throw an ignited lightsaber as a ranged attack. This requires an attack action. The attack takes a -4 penalty for using improvised throwing weapon. The lightsaber deals its normal damage if it is used in this fashion and has a range increment of 4 meters.

After the lightsaber hits its target, it shuts off and falls to the ground in the targets square. If the lightsaber missed its target, it shuts off before hitting the ground. Treat it as a grenadelike object to determine where it lands.

As a move action, a force user can retrieve the lightsaber with a successful Move Object check, provided the lightsaber is no more than 10 meters away." p 135 Hero Guide
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I may not know a lot about the force but those rules are so uncinematic that the people who created them should be forced to watch Starwars remade so that all of the action had to comply with their rules

I bet it will not be fun in any way
HeavyBlaster
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but there'd be no Space Dragons with psionic powers casting Magic Force Missile while weilding a +4 lightsaber in each paw that enables him to ignores -3 VP per CL after calcultaing table 1.4s and 6.8s modifiers excluding all DR to defense.

Laughing

You think I jest...check out Geonosis and the Outer Rim p 70...included on this planet are 'Space Angels' and 'Space Demons'.

Shocked
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that is just plain stupid...

I can believe in a giant silicone based slug that lives in an atmosphereless asteroid and swollows ships but a space dradon with two lightsabers. Stop the madness!
HeavyBlaster
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies - it does not have a lightsaber, it has a force weapon. This is a normal weapon - undescribed - but it does the same damage as a lightsaber. The creature also is desribed as being able to breath scortching gas that can melt anything short of plasticine. The book says that they have multiple body segments with a pair of legs on each segment. They are also purple in color. It get STRANGER...they have wings - gossamer wings - and due to their size have a natural built in repulsorlift mechanism.

The stuff on Kamino and Geonosis isn't too bad - just film stuff with a bit of extra background but when creating their own stuff the Wizard boys can't resist turning Star Wars into 'Star Dungeons and Dragon Wars'. I can't believe I've wasted so much cash on this crap...god only knows what these guys have got planned for future releases. No doubt they'll have 6th Level force weilding InnKeepers - I mean Cantina Keepers...!

Don't worry I won't torure you with anymore of this wacky nonsense. I think i'll try to sell my d20 stuff on Ebay.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star dragons exist in d6 http://www.rancorpit.com/duinuogwuin.shtml
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now now boys, WOTC have done some good things for Star Wars…look at the pretty pictures. And then there’s…um, the…uh, well look at that the pretty pictures.
HeavyBlaster
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF...! That's the same beast...well not in my campaign baby...d6 or not. Having this sort of stuff isn't to my liking at all...I prefer SW episode 4-6 style play...my players would die laughing if I introduced this... thing. This is the reason I'm ditching D20...I don't remember space dragons when I played 1st edition all those years ago...is this an example of hyperspace memory sickness I wonder or did even WEG go a little soft in the cranium content. What book is this from so I know to avoid it...? Mad
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see according to the reference thingie star dragons come from- Galaxy Guide 4: Alien Races

How do you feel about other non movie species... for example-
http://www.rancorpit.com/esoomian.shtml

Last edited by Esoomian on Mon May 03, 2004 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rathe Ehtar wrote:
What is the prob? Just throw it! A lightsabre weighs almost nothing. Telekinesis is used to move it around and fancy stuff....

I was wondering. Can a non-Jedi throw a lightsaber? If not, why not? If so, then perhaps no force power is needed.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why not but it won't be doing anything fancy like boomeranging back to the hand of the thrower or scything down multiple targets in a glittering arc of destruction
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: