The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsabre Throw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Lightsabre Throw Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeavyBlaster
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esmoomian - hmmm seems ok..I got nothing against new aliens in principle and accept that its a big Galaxy out there but I want to avoid fairies, dragons, elves, space orcs, or Jedi Gandalfs with force staffs...don't get me wrong I like D&D and LOTR but in their own setting and as a seperate gaming experience. I know we're all different, with different ideas, but I for one prefer a certain flavour... I was 10 when I first saw EP 1 and it had a big impact on my young outlook on life (and youth society at the time if you remember) I want that feeling in my games...the struggle against tyrany, the few against the many, where evil is dark and seductive and following the path of goodness and light is hard and lonely. A game where characters choose to sacrifice themselves for their friends and stand up for their values no matter the cost. My guys and me are not interested in number crunching and 100 rule books or building up a fantasy trading companies like some little Corporate Sector weasel. And certainly not interested in 'chatting' the force with Space Dragons.

D6 gave me these things and was fun to play. Due to its simplicity we had more mind power available to creatively roleplay...and boy did we laugh with our roleplaying efforts and voices...and we were awed and amazed when a character used a force power on a stormtrooper for the first time...just like in Ep 1...I was blown away with Obi Wan's force use in Mos Eisley. It being so subtle made it more dramatic and mysterious...contrast that to EP 1&2 and it all gets a little corny and OTT...IMHO anyway...what do you think...how do you play out your games...? Very Happy
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space orks... Like Gammorians? Wink

I've always preferred subtlety over eye candy and would much prefer to have games that run like Episodes 4-6 rather than 1-2 (and probably 3) however the idea of Star dragons has never bothered me... I've never used/encountered them but them being out there doesn't worry me... Now that i think about it I wonder why that is?
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they could pick one up and throw one, to the same effect that a non-Jedi could pick up a sabre and cut something. Sure its possible, but they could never use it to the same effect that a Jedi could.
So a non-Jedi could say lob it at someone for the base damage, but to have it spin rapidly and cut a swath throw the air jumping from target to target…well I think a Force power would be needed.

On a side note, I do like the Dark Side dragons, or the Kryat dragons.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of Fire wrote:
I think they could pick one up and throw one, to the same effect that a non-Jedi could pick up a sabre and cut something. Sure its possible, but they could never use it to the same effect that a Jedi could.
So a non-Jedi could say lob it at someone for the base damage, but to have it spin rapidly and cut a swath throw the air jumping from target to target…well I think a Force power would be needed.

I agree completely although if a Jedi had built a lightsaber for the express purpose of throwing (perhaps 2 'blades' and weighted so it spun well and angled to make the most of the spinning motion rather than a slash or stab) then a non-force user throwing it would still gain the 'mundane' benifits from such a weapon

Son of Fire wrote:
On a side note, I do like the Dark Side dragons, or the Kryat dragons.

Are Kryat dragons intelligent or are they just large land based preditors?
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I agree that they could throw it for base damage and such, but having it return, hit multiple targets, or do more damage like sabre combat would be out of the question I should think. But haven forbid if they fumble a roll…that would be messy.

I’m not too sure, though I think the Krayt dragon is just a really big predator.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
HeavyBlaster
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once upon a time it would have seemed silly to suggest a two bladed lightsaber - not now - its cool - what about a four, six, or eight bladed lightsaber kinda like a star that can be hurled and controled in flight using telekinesis, spinning and cutting all over the place...? or a lightsaber on a chain that can be whipped around....No ? I'll get my coat...
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That star thing reminds me of the movie Krull. Laughing

Hey! Liam (Qui Gon Jinn) was in that movie too!
Coincidence? I think not!
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick use fire of love... I mean force lightning Laughing
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember seeing any leaping lightsabers engaging multiple targets (a dancing sword from the old Arabian stories?) in the movies. Where was it?
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Volar, the sabre throw has become quite common as of late with the EU, things like comics, novels, games and such. Even the Clone Wars 2nd season has a goodly amount of sabre chucking.
Now the thing is that comics, novels and yes even the games share the same status continuity wise, that being official. The Clone wars serial might actually have a greater status, but as of yet I’m not entirely sure, but at the minimum it is official as well.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I've never seen the 'Clone War' you speak of (it's a cartoon, right?), though I have read some of the novels and comics, I have no idea where all this lightsaber chucking you're refering to is coming from.
I've only seen one lightsaber chuck - Vader knocking down the platform Luke was standing on in episode VI.

Since you've been batting this idea around now for some time, I'm curious. What did you decide upon as your house rule for the 'dancing lightsaber'?
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well like I said Volar, the sabre tossing is in a lot of EU, though perhaps you have just not come across it as of yet. Which could be due to the fact it has been more of a recent development in SW.

You can watch the Clone Wars here…
http://www.pcpages.com/1010101/

Basically the premise is that it’s a lead-in to the next film, EP: III and this is what constituted the clone wars in SW continuity.

Also I will try to find some of my comics with the sabre throw to scan it for you.
VermillionStar
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This FIVE PAGE discussion is why I always groan when you want to talk about adding or changing a rule, sonoffire. Wink
IMHO, if everyone keeps mincing about with the rules for each new thing that may happen in the EU material then it will end up like Rolemaster which has rules for walking around - literally.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oi! I’ll sort you out IRL later! Wink
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VermillionStar wrote:
This FIVE PAGE discussion is why I always groan when you want to talk about adding or changing a rule, sonoffire. Wink
IMHO, if everyone keeps mincing about with the rules for each new thing that may happen in the EU material then it will end up like Rolemaster which has rules for walking around - literally.

I whole heartedly agree...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: