The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Two Lightsabers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Two Lightsabers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in my response, my computer has been really glitchy lately.

This is not about getting rid of die penalties, Ehtar, it's about following the spirit of the movies while still having a coherent and balanced game system. Tell me, why did Anakin use two lightsabers if there was not an advantaged to using them? The current D6 system has no answer. One must tweak the system to account for that. Yes, I'm going with an advanced skill. It's balanced, it works, and it has limited application preventing abuse from munckiny players.

I'm open for constructive criticism on the idea... a little less open to snide remarks.
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because Lil'Ani is a weakling and not the fabled Exar Kun. Did Darth Vader use two sabers? No. Now, multiple actions ARE game balancers. To humor you, two sabers means two targets, but no matter how many swings with either saber, it's still one parry roll. Ani may have been using a force point, character points, have a high skill number with a good sense score. Due the math and that's a lot of dice, assuming above average skill levels.

Now, a non-force user can use the lightsaber to a degree, while not at the level of jedi (they have lightsaber combat), a character could still have the skill and be very proficient, trust me.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Sorry for the delay in my response, my computer has been really glitchy lately.

This is not about getting rid of die penalties, Ehtar, it's about following the spirit of the movies while still having a coherent and balanced game system. Tell me, why did Anakin use two lightsabers if there was not an advantaged to using them? The current D6 system has no answer. One must tweak the system to account for that. Yes, I'm going with an advanced skill. It's balanced, it works, and it has limited application preventing abuse from munckiny players.

I'm open for constructive criticism on the idea... a little less open to snide remarks.

I agree with you almost entirely. The only thing I'd do is add a slight house rule to the system:

Off-hand penalties are -1D. One can attack or defend with both hands, but incurs both the standard multiple action penalty + the penalty for the off hand (only for actions using that hand).

So if you wish to attack with a weapon in one hand and parry with a weapon in your other hand, you'd be at -1D for the attack and -2D for the parry.

Each combat skill would have an Advanced skill version of it. For example: (A) Two-Lightsabers, (A) Blaster Pistols.

The advanced skill negates the off-hand penalty and multiple action penalties for using one action for both hands. But it's an Advanced skill, so if you want to negate those penalties, you're rolling a smaller dice pool.

On the upside, since it's an Advanced skill, it adds to your regular attack dice when you're not dual-wielding.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that advanced skills add to your basic skill. So if they did take the (A) Two Lightsaber skill they'd need a year of training or whatever, and they'd get their lightsaber skill at +1D when using 2. Just like advanced repair skill.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crell Damar wrote:
I was under the impression that advanced skills add to your basic skill. So if they did take the (A) Two Lightsaber skill they'd need a year of training or whatever, and they'd get their lightsaber skill at +1D when using 2. Just like advanced repair skill.

Advanced skills only add to your basic skill when you make a basic roll. If you make an Advanced roll, you only roll the Advanced skill. An example:

Kiff has First Aid 5D and (A) Medicine 2D, while his Attribute is 2D.

If Kiff tried to perform First Aid, he would roll 7D (5D + 2D). If, however, he were to perform surgery he would only roll 2D for (A) Medicine. OR he could roll First Aid at 7D at a much higher difficulty. His choice.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gigobyte
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the whole idea about the advance skills, but wouldn't that just make Vader simply unstoppable, I mean if we are reallistic in giving him a (A)Two-Lightsaber of about 5-6D that would put him at 16-17D Lightsaber when he uses his lightsaber one handed and then if he uses lightsaber combat...WOW! Twisted Evil

Just my thoughts.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kinda unbalancing either way.

There's actually a rule in the new D6 adventures book, that could possibly be applied to this situation. This kind of thing is normally done at character creation, but they have Special abilities that you can buy with Creation Points (a new character creation system that I'm rather fond of).
It's not quite as quick as the old 18D attributes (on average at least) and 7D skills, 5cp. This is a super ability nown as Ambidextrous, it costs 2 Creation Points per rank, and well... I'll type it out.

Ambidextrous (2)
The character is equally adept with her right or left hand. She may perform an action with each hand in the same round, and, though she takes the multi-action penalty, she receives a +1 per rank to each skill total. The actions must involve the hands and each action must require only one hand. If the character performs only one hand-related action in a round, she does not get the bonus.

They also list some skills that could employ the ambidextrous ability. But, because they changed up quite a few of them, I'm not really going to list them. Pretty much anything you could think of possibly using 2-1 handed actions for, you can use the ability.

Now, there are a few different possibilities for the way this ability could work out. 1) You subtract multiple action penalty, then you add in the bonus, 1 for every rank. Then you turn the +1's into actual D, which counter out the multiple action penalties. Or 2) You subtract multiple action penalty, roll, and then add in the bonuses +1 per rank.

On top of this, there is only one way listed for purchasing the special ability, which is creation points. I've been trying to think of a balanced way for purchasing with Character Points. Possibly: aquired rank x 2 CP
so when first purchasing, it only costs you 2 cp, 2nd rank costs 4 and so on.

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Last edited by Crell Damar on Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gigobyte
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems really complicated just to say no penalty for the off-hand, but isnt this game about simplicity?

I would probably use the extra advantages (and flaws, if there are any) if I could just buy that section of the book, I am so strapped for cash, might not even be able to afford rent, so buying an entire book for the "merit and flaws" section is kinda a waste.

Maybe if Kazaa lite was still around I could have downloaded it....haha
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's got more than that.

That, and I think the post looks more confusing than it actually is because of it's length.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Morticutor
Cadet
Cadet

Location: Carlisle (The Roysten Vasey of the Scottish Border)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: RE: Using two weapons Reply with quote

I've started wondering about this recently, and it would seem that D6 Star Wars has no way of dealing with dual use of idential weapons - not just lightsabers, but also blasters. Given that, I've been trying to come up with something that will plug in globally and allow dual-use for lightsabers, pistols and melee weapons. Certainly I feel that a global rule to cover all of this may be useful.

As I see it, the problem is that there is that the amount of actions that one can take are limted only by the character's dice pool. In addition, very few ranged weapons actually have a rate of fire limit, which makes dual use of identical weapons somewhat pointless. With melee weapons, attacking or parrying is not limtied by the amount of weapons, nor is the limit of how many different targets one can have in a turn (I think...I'm running Fading Suns so I haven't been concentrating too hard...).

- What about allowing a character to re-roll his attack pool when he uses both weapons in an action? That would reflect the idea that the character was pelting the enemy with attacks/fire from unexpected sides and using their second weapon to knock down their defence. Certainly this runs with my experience of LARPing - two short swords can be very effective in beating aside someone's defensive parry for example. I suppose the downside of this would be that you would be combining two actions into one and would suffer the appropriate dice penalty. So, for example, making one attack with two pistols in a turn would put the attack at -1D. The question then is 'should damge dice pools be combined?' I'd say probably not - a hail of light blaster fire is still only light blaster fire there's just more of it at once.

- I had thouth of some kind of free-action system, but as you can use two different weapons in different anyway, it seemed a bit pointless.

Thoughts?

Oh, yeah, and hi.
EmpernizzlePalpanizzle
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

instead of making two weapon style an advacned skill why not allow players to use two weapons as one action but add ten to the difficulty and make them roll for both hits.
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't adding 10 (or 5 or whatever) to the difficulty for both rolls to hit almost the same idea as subtracting 1D from both rolls?

I'm sure this is a whole other topic: increasing difficulty versus die penalty.
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a way I think you could do it without unbalancing anything.

Create a skill.

Dexterity
Two-Weapon Fighting

If you are weilding two weapons, you get a free attack / defense action with the weapon in your other hand, so long as whatever Skill you are using is equal to or below your Two-Weapon Fighting Skill.

Ergo you can be a kick-@$$ dual-blaster or double-bladed glowstick weilder... but you're going to have to pay for the skill to do so.

This skill allows a degree of versatility (you can use it with blasters as much as you can use it with vibro-whips, or whatever) but also costs points all its own. So I don't see it as that unbalancing. And hey, folks can still get all Golden Gunman or Darth Maul.

Specializations would, of course, count toward whatever particular combat skill you want to use with it.

So while someone could buy Two-Weapon Fighting and be super at all sorts of weapons with both hands, someone with Two-Weapon Fighting: Blasters would be John Woo but not Darth Maul. But they'd get a comenserate point-cost break on it.

I have Star Wars stuff!
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedFox wrote:
Create a skill.

Dexterity
Two-Weapon Fighting

I would have to disagree with this approach for two reasons.
1. I believe being skilled with two weapons first requires being skilled with one weapon.
2. This base skill implies that someone can just pick up any two weapons, whether they be blasters, vibroblades, or lightsabers, and wield them at an improved skill level.

For example, let's say a character has DEX of 3D. That means that they get Archaic Guns, Blaster, Blaster Artillery, Bowcaster, Bows, Firearms, Grenade, Lightsaber, Melee Combat, Melee Parry, Missile Weapons, and Thrown Weapons all at 3D. If the character just has Two-Weapon Fighting at 5D, suddenly he improves his blaster accuracy just by picking up two blasters. So as the Chewbacca Defense goes... "that just doesn't make sense."
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esjs wrote:
RedFox wrote:
Create a skill.

Dexterity
Two-Weapon Fighting

I would have to disagree with this approach for two reasons.
1. I believe being skilled with two weapons first requires being skilled with one weapon.
2. This base skill implies that someone can just pick up any two weapons, whether they be blasters, vibroblades, or lightsabers, and wield them at an improved skill level.

For example, let's say a character has DEX of 3D. That means that they get Archaic Guns, Blaster, Blaster Artillery, Bowcaster, Bows, Firearms, Grenade, Lightsaber, Melee Combat, Melee Parry, Missile Weapons, and Thrown Weapons all at 3D. If the character just has Two-Weapon Fighting at 5D, suddenly he improves his blaster accuracy just by picking up two blasters. So as the Chewbacca Defense goes... "that just doesn't make sense."

So make it an Advanced Skill that requires 5D in one of the combat skills first.

I have Star Wars stuff!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: