The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dawn of the Dead for Star Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Dawn of the Dead for Star Wars Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GM did Mad Science Goodness.
Brandon
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were jedi zombies in the "Domain of Evil" adventure, though I think they were just apparitions (I'll have to check).

Also one of those "Tales from..." short story collections had a story in it that mentioned tiny worms animating the corpses of the dead.

But as has already been mentioned, a little imagination is all it takes. For the zombie adventure I've been working on, I'm going the mysterious radiation route...
Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in that case, who not use the "undead spacers" that protect Korriban's tombs? (As seen in "Knights of the Old Republic"-comics)

P.S
Chris Gossets' artwork rules.
There is no chaos; there is harmony.
There is no death; there is the Force.
obidancer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the Empire contaminate the water reserve of an entire planet that just got rebelious with a virus that kind of killed the people. Well only kind of for all the populace became like Zombies, and transmitted the virus upon contact, ouch.
Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: PLANET OF... (dramatic pause)... THE DEAD! Reply with quote

Undead spacers, anyone?

If you're out for some cool undead stuff, check out Dark Horse's "Star Wars Tales #17, 2003". It features Han Solo and his furry side-kick.... and an undead horde. Very Happy

Having to land on a backwater world (which is not on any of their charts, of course) because of engine problems (what else), they soon find out, that the entire planet is haunted.
For it is...
(que spooky music) !!"The Planet of the Dead"!!
WOOOO!!! SPOOKY!! Twisted Evil

BTW, no GM that I've ever met (including myself) has managed to make games *SCARY*. They've just been gorefests with blazing blasters.

How would you make such a game *SCARY* and *SPOOKY*?
patchman
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crell Damar wrote:
Just come up with stats for whatever species of zombie that you're doing, then make it no longer affected by wounds, then decide on how high an attack roll they have. Done.

So you either kill them or do nothing to them? That's pretty cool and would be pretty scary.... cool! thanks.
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: PLANET OF... (dramatic pause)... THE DEAD! Reply with quote

Jace_Terrik wrote:
BTW, no GM that I've ever met (including myself) has managed to make games *SCARY*. They've just been gorefests with blazing blasters.

How would you make such a game *SCARY* and *SPOOKY*?

Have an electromagnetic storm wreck havoc on all electronics (blasters, Lightsabers, and vibroweapons especialy) and now you might find it a little scary (of course thats if you put yourself in your character's place). 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A game is only as good as the story teller/DM/GM and the players make it. It's refreshing some times to play a game that's action packed and high combat, low roleplaying. But, mystery, horror, and epic stories can make really great games. (Not to change the subject too much) When we played the "Resident Evil" game, it was intense because the players pictured the scene of rooms full of dead people, between great GMing and a good selection of music, not to mention the interest in the mystery that was around us and wondering what in the hell was happening. If the players aren't interested, then the game wont be fun, if the GM isn't interested, it's just as bad.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Brandon
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure, with darker games it's all about creating the right atmosphere, whether through the use of appropriate music as has already been mentioned, carefully crafted descriptions that freak the players out a bit, sound effects, whatever. Building up good rapport between the players and the gamemaster characters, and then having the GMCs killed off horribly works as well.

Plus, the "survival horror" genre works when there's no easy or obvious "way out" for the players, and the claustrophobia and paranoia starts to set in.
Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how do you create a situation that seems unescapable? And secondly, what kind of music would you suggest and were can I get it?
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the planet is entirely infected with zombies, "The ship just won't start"
If it's only a building that they are in, "The Blastdoors are sealed"
Better yet if they are in a Capital Ship...where are you gonna run...outside?.
Have their weapon malfunction, run out of ammo (energy) have them drop the weapons by getting them bit on the hand
But the best part yet... get them to separate..."A blastdoor just closed after you passed the entry now you are alone and...Oh my, what was that noise comming from inside the darkened room?" that usualy gets the adrenalyne pumping

as for Music try something gloomy (you might try giving a listen at clasical) for normal game and maybe techno for the fight or the flight scenes (something with a loud and fast pace)

But in all if your players are not really attached to their characters, you will never be able to set a "Scary" or intense mood

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... music suggestions...

Quake soundtrack.
any music you can get from resident evil games works fairly well.
Bone Shakers by Hans Karl.
The Pitch Black Soundtrack is pretty creepy.
Ghost in the Shell OST, from the movie, not the series or the videogame.
Silent Hill.
Parasite Eve.

It depends on the scenario.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silent Hill is a perfect example of mood.
It is probably the creepiest game I have ever played (probably due to the music, fog and the zombie babies) 8)

For music you might try the soundtrack from Resident Evil movie, there is a good track by Manson (the intro to the movie)

Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since I'm a poor and malnourished student, you don't happen to know any nifty sites where I could find said soundtracks? Razz
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to install WinMX, Imesh, or Kazza.

Personally I use WinMX, less spy wear 8)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: