The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Latent Jedi?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Latent Jedi?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiggerman
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Latent Jedi? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have done a search on these forms for a 'latent Jedi'. My GM said that would be the only type of Jedi allowed in the game. But I am unable to find out what exactly a "latent Jedi" is. Does anyone know where I can find info on a "latent Jedi"?

Thanks in advance.

Tiggerman
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what your GM means by "latent jedi" is someone who is force sensitive, but is not an active jedi, and has no knowledge of their skill in the force or even what the force is.

At least that's what comes to my mind when I think "latent jedi"

You could always ask him to elaborate for you.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good one:

If your PC is "latent", meaning he doesn't know he's Force-sensitive, should the PLAYER know?

I tried this once. The player was just as surprised as the character once learning he could learn to control the Force.

As, I think, it should be.
There is no chaos; there is harmony.
There is no death; there is the Force.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a real cool way to do it... so on their character sheet, it said "no" under force sensitive and 1 Force point, but in actuality they had 2 force points and whatnot?

Hmmm...

Did you do any story effects or anything to even distantly hint that he might have been, or just one day some jedi comes up and tells him that he's strong in the force?

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't players decide to have their character always be a latent Force-sensitive? I was just reading this thread and I got to thinking about something from the second edition, revised and expanded, book under the chapter on Characters. On page 29 it talks about during the character creation phase you need to decide whether or no the character is Force-sensitive. So it seems pretty straight forward to me there that if their Force-sensitive, they could become a Jedi or some other Force user and if their not they don't have to worry about it. It also says that if they are Force-sensitive they have to be more honorable and such than folks who aren't. But then on page 36 it seems to say it's possible for all characters to have always been latent Force-sensitive by giving up 20 character points to make a non-Force-sensitive a Force-sensitive. It just seems like the latter allows you to do all kinds of things you might not get away with as a Force user and then rather than make a new character, you can make the pre-exsisting one Force-sensitive anytime you wish once they have twenty character points.

Wanted Poster
Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I used to drop hints in here and there. Since the character was a former police officer, I used to say things like:
"Your old cop instincts tell you, that the killer was left-handed..."

or

"Purely on instinct, you draw your weapon just seconds before your opponent does."

Actually, I used those rules (20 CP's for Force-sensitivity) to the letter. Well, almost.
The rulebook says that the character has to live according to the Jedi Code.

As far as allowing them to do all sorts of things, I usually try to keep the games the way they should be; good guys are good guys. They don't slaughter innocents. Even if they aren't Jedi.

Also, as of late, I've been pretty fed up with the straight-and-narrow-type Jedi we've always seen. They're all about stiff rules and no role-play. Having a Force-using (note: Force-using, not Jedi) character with some actual roleplaying potential, is so much more fun that having cookiee-cutter Jedi and clear-cut moral dilemmas.

So I fudge the rules a bit when it comes to Dark Side points.

If your player already knows what path is the right one and if it is already decided, that he must choose that path, where is the choice in the matter?
Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since somebody is going to ask about what I meant about "fudging the rules about Dark Side points". I'm going to explain it to you.

Whether you want it or not! Twisted Evil

Let us say you have a character who has become aware of his Force-sensitivity, and learns about the Force.
But before this, he has had 20+ years of "no Jedi-code"-living (also, his teacher might be a Failed Jedi, not the best when it comes to adhering to the rules). Nevertheless, the character (and the player) has a sense of right and wrong. He won't go out and eat babies or destroy worlds.

He, however, does have a score to settle with some larger-than-life-villan. And he will stop at nothing to have his revenge.

Okay, he shoots a stormtrooper down in not-so-self-defense. Not a big thing.

Okay, he stabs a really bad person with a lightsaber. Okay, I'd give 'im a Dark Side point.

Nevertheless, I don't want Dark Side points to become a hindrance to roleplay. If the character REALLY WOULD stab a baddie in the face, why shouldn't he?

So when the Dark Side points gather up, he's supposed to lose his character, right? That's what the rulebook says, right?

Should he really lose his character for actually roleplaying his character? That just sounds stupid.

So what do I do?

I keep tabs on what the character does and how he does it.
As Corran Horn and Mara Jade talk about the subject in "I, Jedi", turning to the Dark Side might be an almost casual thing. It's easy to say "I won't turn to the dark side", when the Emperor, the evil of all evil, tempts you. But it's just that more difficult, if the questionable moral choices you face almost seem right.

And, on top of that, what could possibly be a greater revelation to the character (and player), that they already have turned to the Dark Side! Razz

I mean, instead of that cookiee-cutter villain(tm) standing up to your character and saying:"Look, I'm your father, and I want you to join the Dark Side."
And you responding:"No, I won't!"

Try this:

Your character:"I'll never turn to the Dark Side!"
Cookiee-cutter villain(tm):"(evil chuckle) I don't have to, my young Jedi. You fail to realize, that you already have."
(insert dramatic music)
Your character:"NO! IT'S NOT TRUE! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!"
Cookiee-cutter villain(tm):"Search your feelings, you know it be true!"
Your character:"NOOOOO! NOOOO!"

Twisted Evil

Okay I got a little carried away in the end, but you get my drift right?

Stang, why do my posts always wind up this long? Embarassed
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still say, even though they may be good guys, that such characters can do all sorts of things. They can kill an unarmed villian in cold blood. They could choose to sacrifice the lives of innocents to save an even greater number of lives, which could well make the sacrifice an atrocity despite the number they'd save. Or in a moment of rage in which their going to stop at nothing to get rid of a villian they could use a WMD wiping out hundreds to get a few villians. The difference being how they act after they commit such atrocities. If they have any regerts, then that is a good thing for them as good guys.

Wanted Poster
Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must've played with some fairly psychotic players. Smile
Mine have never done anything like that. Well, they *did* shoot an unarmed Imperial agent once, but he was a really *bad* guy. Wink
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's try not to jump topics too much here guys.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latent Jedi? I think that's one where the GM rolls the success for an attempt at something when the Force-sensitive character is stressed or trying desparately to help someone.

Almost (not to mix genres) like underage magic in the Harry Potter universe.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'd pretty much agree with the general opinion that a latent Jedi is someone who is force sensitive yet not aware of it.

I've always played that a force sensitive character (even a non jedi) has a little bit of an extra feeling behind their moral compas making them generally more likely to act in a 'good' fashion (at least until they get more darkside points than force points then the moral compass steers them the other way)

I used this to justify my Esoomian character being basically good despite the race's very agressive tendencies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: