The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Avatar Suggestion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Avatar Suggestion Reply with quote

Please make it so people's Avatar's they are territorial about can be hidden from the "Gallery" or make it so people can post an avatar of their own, the artistically challenged can at least then find something off the net that "works", the artistic can make and use their own..

Sort of a piss poor welcome to get spat at about your avatar when it is a part of the gallery choices.

Alexis
*disgruntled*
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be an idea, but phpbb is not set up that way. your best bet (since you designed a beautiful avatar) is to send a PM to its users and say that you created it and you would appreciate it if they did not use it.

Thats really the only way to do it :s

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Liana
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the avatar she's ranting about was mine. I politely asked her to select something else, and even offered to create a custom avvie for her since I can imagine it would be inconvenient and frustrating to find one you liked and then need to choose another one at the request of the artist.

Her replies were less than civil, but despite the ire, my offer still stands. Smile
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, whoops, so you did Razz

so yea, that is exactly what I woudl do if you are worried about it Wink

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I definitely did not create Liana's avatar. And had injured my back last night. It left me, as she said, less than civil. For which I apologize after a good night's sleep.

Liana I am truly sorry. I suffered a back injury and was "off my meds" as it were, being the stubborn mule that I am I thought I could go a night without painers for my damnable back, like I said in my not so nice messages, bad day creates a bad attitude.

I just picked the one that looked least ugg. And in fact found it quite attractive. However she made it, its hers. I still know of phpbb boards that do have an option to upload an avatar from another hosting site. I also know that you can split boards with decor and layout. Simply separating them by a line and having "Public Avatars" on top, and "Member-Made Custom Avatars" on bottom would alleviate this from happening in the future.

As for Liana making me one. Well if she still wants to offer, I have no idea how we would go about it. I could I guess give a detailed description of my character and see what she comes up with from there. If you really still want to Liana send me a PM. My better half said they'd work on one for me, but to be honest, it would be a month or so before they'd finish it.

The only reason I posted anything at all, is because it is a pain to settle into a board be happy with your avatar and have it yoinked from you, you know? It truly is a pain to think something is fair game and then get nitted at for it. But the past is the past and bygones are just that bygones....

On to the real question and issue at hand....I NEED an AVATAR gorramit!

Alexis
*smiles, happily medicated and not in pain"
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I understand why Loc Taal set up the forums like that, it's pretty easy for things to get out of hand when people upload their own avatars. That said, Loc did post somewhere that you can send him whatever avatar you want and he will make it available for you. I've done that several, to supply avatars for the PbP players. It usually takes a while for him to respond, but he get the job done.

As for "blocking" personal avatars, I don't know, it's a reasonable idea.
Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gry.

Liana is going to work one out for me. I think we are past my incivility from yesterday (back pain is one mean b-tch). And I am glad she is a forgiving person.

It is not like me to be uncivil or abrasive unless of course I am having a wench day. No days off on the pain meds for my back I guess. I just always feel like such a....pill popper. I take estrogen for my hormone disorder, a diuretic for another issue, pain pills for my back, prozac for depression, prilosec for my acid reflux and multivitamins. Every morning when I look at the pile of 11 pills it never ceases to amaze me at how medication dependant our age is.

As for it being a reasonable suggestion, thank you on that as well, even a layout change with two "areas" on the same page, just divided would let people know they might get a "please don't use that" if they take one from the bottom section.

Alexis
*smiles*
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know I wouldn't be too happy to find someone using my Gry Sarth avatar (not this one I'm using right now, it's another one I've made and haven't used in a while). So yes, the suggestion does make sense, just to put those "personalized" avatars on a separate folder...

As for the incivility issue, I understand your predicament, but you must really try to keep your pain separate from these forums. I mean, it's not your interlocutor's fault that you're having a bad day, right? We like to keep things civil and friendly around here, as you might have probably noticed, but I always view this as a delicate thing, and animosity has a tendency to escalate pretty rapidly. All I'm saying is, when you feel you're having a bad day, try and think thrice before hitting that "submit" button. Wink
Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already apologized to her Gry, both in this thread and in mails (though my first apology last night was laughable to say the least).

The problem with the web is it fails to convey tones. And while she "spoke" her first message in a lighthearted and friendly manner, I "heard" it as slightly miffed, and irritated due to the altered perceptions of irritability (Uh-oh, sounds like someone needs to atone for a Dark Side Point!) thus in turn "miffing" me. Again though not her fault and she was totally right to ask for her artwork to remain hers.

And yes, it escalates quickly any confrontation does, especially if both sides "have" or "take" issue.

Anyway I am over it, long since. I am a woman of swift irish moods, I heat up, and cool down fast when I do so.

I find your use of a interlocutor refreshing one that made my morning. You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.

Alexis
*smiles*
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a good suggestion to separate out the "members custom made" avatars from the rest. I'll work on getting that done to prevent confusion in the future.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All hail Loc!

He's one righteous barve! Cool
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: