The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ex-StormTroopers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Ex-StormTroopers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I respect that.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Ex-StormTroopers Reply with quote

Crell Damar wrote:
any idea for background ideas for ex-stormtroopers, other than the cliche` "killed innocent women and children type of stuff?" or "Empire Killed my loved ones..." just curious

I assume by this time you've already solved the background problem and then some. But incase you need ideas for the future, here's some.

Disgruntled. This is kinda the beginning of Davin Felth turning against the Empire as he was supposed have been an AT-AT driver. That is until he pointed out a fatal flaw in the AT-AT. It was more the killing of innocents that actually turned him, but he was no doubt a little upset about being made a foot soldier and that helped cause him to turn. Basically being ill treated. It would seem to also be the reason Baron Fel defected to the Alliance for a while.

Impressed. This is kinda the thing that happened with Kyp Durron's brother. When the Empire rounded up his family, Kyp and his parents were sent to Kessel while his brother was "enlisted" into the Imperial military and sent to become a stormtrooper at the Acedemy on Carida. A stormtrooper whose been impressed could wait for a chance to defect so they can turn on those who forced them to serve the Empire.

Disillusioned. The Alliance had enough material put out there to get folks to join, such as A Call to Reason from the X-wing Strategy Guide. Call it propaganda or what, but it could material that some stormtroopers could have read. Most likely most would view it as propaganda BS, but some who may not be too well indocterinated, or may be to curious for their own good, could actually pay attention to it. Enough such material could possibly cause them to decided to change sides.

Injured vet. It's likely that the Empire would have nothing to do with a stormtrooper who had been injured bad enough. I'm talking a disfiguring injury. A stromtrooper with enough prestige within the Empire would probably be well taken care of and even offered a position training others at the Academy or promoted to a rank where they no longer had to do much in the way of fighting, just command others to do so. But a common stormtrooper would probably have no such luck. They could be so upset by the Empire's treatment of them that they'd be willing to turn against them. This could also be another reason for a stormtrooper to become disgruntled.

Wanted Poster
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hellcat, that helps out. In case someone wants to do that.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just doing what I can to help come up with ideas, even if it is almost a year after the question was asked.

Wanted Poster
Wookie rage
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crell Damar wrote:
dude, people join the stormtroopers, they are given advanced military training... at least that's what the empire claims, really, i've read it in one of my star wars books... just can't remember which one...

Even if all the stormtroopers are clones (which I feel they are clones in the beginning just to get a good standing army) that doesn't mean they aren't going to rebel. Dorsk 81 is a perfect example of a clone who became a jedi knight. I mean, Jedi are suppossed to be pretty rare and none of his predecesors showed any force talents.

"Let's just say we'd like to avoid any Imperial entanglements." ~Obi Wan Kenobi
Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's this: They were supposed to be on a simple snatch-and-grab-mission under the supervision of Imperial Intelligence.
Steal a datacard and extract. Simple.

But when the Imp agent in charge wants to kill a bunch of civilians just because they're a liability, things might get a bit shoddy... (is that a word???)

So far, if anybody cares, I've dealt with the clone/stormtrooper in thus fashion:

Clonetroopers aren't Stormtroopers. The expanded universe pretty much makes this clear.

Why?

Since clones were "grown" at an accelerated rate (a full-grown clone in ten years), they continue to age at an accelerated rate, even after they've been taken out of the tanks. Thus, a clonetrooper has a life-expectancy is about 20-30 years.

When the Empire came to power, it found it immensely more effective to conscript and brainwash suitable cadets instead of waiting 10 years for a clone to grow.

Also, the Empire has always been about terrorizing it's populace. Rule by fear.
What is more terrifying than having to fear of having your loved one- or even yourself- conscribed and brainwashed?
Kinda like soldiers during Stalin's reign in the USSR.

Whaddyasay?
There is no chaos; there is harmony.
There is no death; there is the Force.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clonetroopers eventually become stormtroopers. However, this does not mean that clones are the only source for stormtroopers. And not all clones continue to age at an accerlerated rate as Kamino clones do. Once released from their cloning cylinders, Spaarti clones appear to age at a normal rate for their species.

Wanted Poster
Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, everyone has opinions.

If we wanted monotonous, one-sided and all-deciding decisions imposed on us, we could start working for Lucasfilm.
There is no chaos; there is harmony.
There is no death; there is the Force.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe... now boys, let's try to keep this civil.

and not stray too off topic with the whole clonetrooper thing.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Wolverine
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Ex-StormTroopers Reply with quote

Crell Damar wrote:
any idea for background ideas for ex-stormtroopers, other than the cliche` "killed innocent women and children type of stuff?" or "Empire Killed my loved ones..." just curious

I had a guy that wrote a really good one:

In brief he was discharged from service after his officer caused the deaths of the majoirty of their squad, during a rebel ambush. The officer themself was killed in the incident, leaving the Player's character next in senority, and therefore in charge. The character was blamed for the officer's actions (who of course died bravely at the hands of the enemy) and was discharged.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got another one for you. Amnesia. That thread Scrawprin did on the HeroMachine actually brought this one up and you can see the guy I'm talking about in one of my posts in there. But I'd been fooling around with the HeroMachine and figured I'd do some stats for characters I could create. My favorite right now is the one I called Storm One, who, as I explained, had been an Imperial Storm Commando who was suffering from amnesia. I've still got to do a full back story on him (I'm thinking of doing it as part of an adventure GMs could have their players play), but right now the way I'm thinking is that he may have been on some mission and the rest of his team thought he was dead. Either they couldn't find his body to bring it back or else things were suddenly so hot for them that they had toleave it behind. Only he survived and was nursed back to health, but he had no memory of who or what he was.

Wanted Poster
Allembrande
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha 513 is a clone trooper in the old republic. He is my favorite SW character, because he is a clone. I took 2D in both Dex and Str, just like all the other clones, but put bonus dice into Tech, Mech, and Perc. I am a mis-programmed clone who longs for more. Recently, I disobeyed Order66 and helped my Jedi Commander escape an ambush. This is a great roleplaying opportunity.
Stule
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Post so far!

As for the whole Clonetrooper/Stormtrooper thing, George said recently in an interview (I think it was with E) that The Empire does draft individuals before Episode IV. Most Stormtroopers are not Clones, most of those died either in clone wars or due to age (EP IV is 20 years after EP III). Cloning was just used becasue The Republic didn't have a standing army and Palpatine needed one to take over the Galaxy. It was the whole reason that he started the war in the first place.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Peace.

Stule
Allembrande
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palpatine used clones rather than the droid armies of the traders for one reason...Suceptability to the force. He used force-suggestions to control the troops without anyone ever knowing, and he couldn't have been so covert with droids, he is not a programmer lord but a sith lord.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it have been easier to have a droid army, then only have to influence the programmers?

Less minds?

Ya, probably would, but then it wouldn't have been as interesting. You get rather bored as a Sith Lord. I mean, you've already foreseen everything on TV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: