The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Jedi artifact
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Jedi artifact
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Jedi artifact Reply with quote

I need a jedi artifact for my campain.

I should be useful, but not overpowered.
I was thinking about the following abilities:
1) Grands 1 force point the first time you touch it (if you have at least 1D in a force skill)
2) "Keeps up" 1 force power (so that you don´t suffer the penalties).

What do you think?
Any ideas?
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first power is excessive. What will end up happening is what I call the "genie in a lamp effect". If you hand out one of those, the first PC will use it, share the effects by letting the second PC use it, and it will continue to pass full circle. The second power is reasonable. What I would recomend is chart out two or three small effects, ones that aren't overpowered. Let the PC discover them over time. The artifact should be wearable. For example, if I made bracers with the following abilities:

1. The user gains +1D to Bargain and Persuasion.
2. The user gains +7 (or 2D) to PER or Con to detect lies.
3. All attempts to influence / access the user's mind recieves a +15 difficulty; even friendly attempts.
4. The user loses access to the con skill. All attempts to lie fail.

The above artifact would be a negotiator's tool. Since he gains a bonus to bargain and it would be really hard to influence his mind or lie to him. By preventing others from being able to use the force to read his thoughts or alter them (ect) he could prevent himself from being manipulated during the negotiations. Being able to detect lies helps keep one impartial negotiator. The fourth is a drawback to the negotiator, it prevents them from conning people, they must try to bring people together through the truth and mutual cooperation.

If you're going to build an artifact, give it a purpose for existing. Then think about why it would do the things it does. That way it makes sense. The above artifact, the Jedi would likely quickly realize that he had an improved bargain / persuade. He would also notice his inability to con (which could manifest like "Liar, Liar" or he just cant say it.). The bonus to detect lies would be another one that could be easily noticed. The bonus for resisting force influence to access / influence the jedi's mind would probably only get noticed after a friend tries receptive or projective.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...what about a +5 Vorpal Lightsaber of Sith-slaying? Wink
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightsabers are already vorpal, and Jedi are supposed to learn Smite Evil to make up the rest.
to finance my 'vette!
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In D&D a vorpal blade tends to draw the attackers attack to the neck Shocked So a high roll decapitates Twisted Evil
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Light Side is stronger! .......... Um, why are you still attacking me? I said the LIGHT SIDE IS STRONGER! Don't you feel less evil yet? (Clears throat and uses projective telepathy) THE LIGHT SIDE IS STRONGER!"

(Nothing happens)

Oh shiznit!
That's improbable?
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are wanting is something like the Kaiburr Crystal, from Splinter of the Minds Eye and the New Jedi Order.

Force Enhanced items are usually connected to the will of a being that was powerful in the force, who imparted some of their power to that item.

Think of the history behind the item, not just what it does, but why it does, how it does it, and the nature of the person that made it do it.
to finance my 'vette!
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a pair of slippers made from precious red gems that, when tapped together...

Oh.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't accidently lose the slippers when "flying" back home. You never know what dictator rock might find them...........
That's improbable?
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endwyn wrote:
Just don't accidently lose the slippers when "flying" back home. You never know what dictator rock might find them...........

Haha. Didn't you know that the Nome King was really a sith lord?
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were silver, not rubies!
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Think of the history behind the item, not just what it does, but why it does, how it does it, and the nature of the person that made it do it.

The artifact that I need powers for is a fragment of an ancient bith temple. I read somewhere (or made it up, I can't remember) that the biths used to be powerful force users.

So i figured that a fragment from an ancient tempel on Clackdor VI would have "sucked in(?)" some of the mysterious energy.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did the bith do in the temple? What was the temple's purpose? Why was the temple built where it was, and why did they chose that spot?

For example, a training temple, a cantidate housing ground, and a sacred site can all be temples with three very different backstories behind the why, what and why where questions. A training temple might have over time gained the ability to speed up the training times while learning in the temple. A cantidate housing temple might have increased the ability to detect qualaties leading to the dark side, or made sense path easier, ect. A sacred site could have been used for a multitude of purposes, one for lightsaber construction is completely different that a mystic site used for farseeing.

Regardless though, the site itself is more likely influenced rather than a piece of a temple. I would recomend you create a past for the bith people involving the rise of this order, and let the PC's find an artifact of signifigance that was housed in the temple. Such as a warrior knight might have slayed a sith lord type, freeing the people. Such a symbol might be his sword, a horn he used in battle, ect. Perhaps the planet was once divided into many factions that could not agree; one Bith could have risen to the challenge and united the factions peacefully. JMO
That's improbable?
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know if this helps any... Back when I first created my first Jedi character he started out with such a "Trinket of mystical import." He had a medallion with a large emerald in the center that gave him +3 to any farseeing rolls. In addition, the gamemaster would occasionally use this item to slip information to us when our dice rolls were consistantly in the toilet... Every now and again I'd get this "feeling of impending doom" when we were discussing a particular course of action. It didn't happen too often, but it happened often enough to save our bacon a few times. Yeah, it wasn't a HUGE benefit, but any benefit is something you didn't have before.
Plus, you could always have this item give the bearer a certain benefit when they originally lay hands on it, plus perhaps allow it to give them another benefit after they have some more power under their belts... kinda like how the Jedi Holocron will allow Padawans to a certain point, but Knights and Masters can go much farther. Just an idea.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a number of Artifacts in the past; I'll see what I can dig up.

For a Bith civilization relic, it may be from prior to their world becoming a wasteland with domed cities. Bith supercomputers often date from such a time, so there is probably something to help with problem-solving.
I would probably suggest something that allows a Force User to use the Concentration &/or Wisdom power(s) after at least a round of focusing (no other actions)--perhaps a +1D bonus if the character already has them. Perhaps a non-Bith would need a full turn of focusing. Thoughts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: