The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsaber features
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Lightsaber features Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should WHITE be allowed as a lightsaber blade color?
Sure
84%
 84%  [ 76 ]
No, because they aren't in the movies/games
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
No, because there are no crystals that allow them
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
No, because you can't have white without black
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
No, but I don't know why
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
I don't know / I have no opinion
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 90

Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The saber crystals I got from A'fel do exactly the UV thing, leaving a slight noticeable change to the hue of the air and nothing more. My character keeps them for sentimental values as the ruling was that the crystals are a trade off, UV for DMG, so they have piss poor dmg, just above a lightfoil at 4d+1.

Like I said I keep them mostly for sentiment, as I am both welcome on A'fel and considered a friend to the clans there.

Oh and Jedi would need only to shift sense a bit to deal with combating a UV blade. Shift sense is one of the most underplayed OP force abilities.

Alexis
*smiles*
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a lot of the fluff text in the novels implies that a Jedi need not see their opponent's blade at all, they extend the Force to anticipate what their opponent will do and where their weapon will be. Visual cues aren't so important. (ie. not following the weapon, but the opponent controlling it to react)

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just mentioning one of the myriad of ways a UV blade becomes a moot point. I only kept mine because it was a gift and rare honor to go into the crystal caves on A'fel.

Alexis
*smiles*
GMT
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
Well, a lot of the fluff text in the novels implies that a Jedi need not see their opponent's blade at all, they extend the Force to anticipate what their opponent will do and where their weapon will be. Visual cues aren't so important. (ie. not following the weapon, but the opponent controlling it to react)

Right. I'm just looking at it from the perspective of a GM trying to avoid player abuse and powergaming. For example, if I were going to try and abuse it, I would make a lightsaber with an adjustable length blade, and the controls for said blade would be unobtrusive or unnoticeable to use. Even if the opponent is watching my stance and motions, if he can't see my blade he won't know that it's growing two feet longer until it's too late.

Another reason why I would never allow a UV blade.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMT wrote:
Right. I'm just looking at it from the perspective of a GM trying to avoid player abuse and powergaming. For example, if I were going to try and abuse it, I would make a lightsaber with an adjustable length blade, and the controls for said blade would be unobtrusive or unnoticeable to use. Even if the opponent is watching my stance and motions, if he can't see my blade he won't know that it's growing two feet longer until it's too late.

Another reason why I would never allow a UV blade.

Well theoretically a Jedi could utilize the controls mid-battle by using the Force, so their opponent need not see the change coming until the weapon's blade suddenly GREW at them, with no cues whatsoever coming from stance, or wielder's movements, etc. because he did it with the invisible hand of TK.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Star Wars to make sense... not necessarily real-life sense, but Star Wars sense Razz There has to be internal consistency. To me, something like wild coloured or "invisible" lightsabers just don't fit with the established concepts of the setting. I mean, yeah, more power to gaming groups for having imagination, but just recognize that the limits of imagination usually surpass the limits of setting for most settings, Star Wars included.

Invisible blades represent a few problems for considerations involving both staying true to the setting and game mechanics. The possibility for nasty powergaming has been brought up; sure, it's not an issue for other Force users, but it is for 99.9999999999999% of the rest of the galaxy Razz If a player is simply looking for mechanical advantages over other characters, when they've already got potential for a strong mechanical advantage in having access to the Force, their motivations for the concept are weak and should be denied.
In terms of setting, well, there's very little to suggest that crystals that would imbue an "invisible" blade should exist. While it makes sense in terms of real physics, hell, in real physics it's less likely to create a coloured blade... but we're not talking real physics here, we're talking Star Wars. Crystals that may be used in lightsabers are rare. Those rare crystals tend to create blades of certain hues due to vibrational properties when power is run through them. Different crystals have different vibration frequencies, imbuing the different hues; but there is a small range of potential crystals that will work with the lightsaber design. It does make sense that shifts in the circuit could make shifts in the vibration frequency, but chances are the deviation won't be too great.
Basically it's like how quartz vibrates at 8,192 Hz when electricity is applied... while this is pretty much standard, it is possible to alter the circuit to change this frequency, but it doesn't deviate very far.
To reach into the IR or UV spectra the frequency shift from a normal crystal would be pretty far out from the established ranges, going into somewhere between the "unlikely" to "implausible" ranges of the Star Wars setting (perhaps simply imo).

Donate to Ankhanu Press
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
I like my Star Wars to make sense... not necessarily real-life sense, but Star Wars sense Razz There has to be internal consistency. To me, something like wild coloured or "invisible" lightsabers just don't fit with the established concepts of the setting. I mean, yeah, more power to gaming groups for having imagination, but just recognize that the limits of imagination usually surpass the limits of setting for most settings, Star Wars included.

Invisible blades represent a few problems for considerations involving both staying true to the setting and game mechanics. The possibility for nasty powergaming has been brought up; sure, it's not an issue for other Force users, but it is for 99.9999999999999% of the rest of the galaxy Razz If a player is simply looking for mechanical advantages over other characters, when they've already got potential for a strong mechanical advantage in having access to the Force, their motivations for the concept are weak and should be denied.
In terms of setting, well, there's very little to suggest that crystals that would imbue an "invisible" blade should exist. While it makes sense in terms of real physics, hell, in real physics it's less likely to create a coloured blade... but we're not talking real physics here, we're talking Star Wars. Crystals that may be used in lightsabers are rare. Those rare crystals tend to create blades of certain hues due to vibrational properties when power is run through them. Different crystals have different vibration frequencies, imbuing the different hues; but there is a small range of potential crystals that will work with the lightsaber design. It does make sense that shifts in the circuit could make shifts in the vibration frequency, but chances are the deviation won't be too great.
Basically it's like how quartz vibrates at 8,192 Hz when electricity is applied... while this is pretty much standard, it is possible to alter the circuit to change this frequency, but it doesn't deviate very far.
To reach into the IR or UV spectra the frequency shift from a normal crystal would be pretty far out from the established ranges, going into somewhere between the "unlikely" to "implausible" ranges of the Star Wars setting (perhaps simply imo).

you know, there would probably be some bleedthrough in the visible spectrum. so you could have a saber with a very light color, and then in the UV spectrum it looks completely different...

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have the UV blade give off something like a haze like heat rising from a road. You can see through it, but everything beyond looks distorted and wavery. (I know, that's not a word, just sounded right. Mr. Green)
Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Residual illumination, like a lightsaber with the decreased lumination feature added multiple times, you can tell it's there, like the defel it shows a haze, a shift in reality perceptions, a residual of an image, a change in the area, but like the planet it came from it is vibrant when viewed in the UV spectra.

I have yet to light them up in combat, they just don't cut it when I have much better sabers. I mean if I wanted such low of Dmg I would craft a lightfoil and make sure to get rid of its power problems considering I have Saber B/R at a very competant level, and Saber Engineering on top of that, just make a "weak" saber, very within the target number range for the character.

Liz is....think bookworm meets saber geek, or duelist librarian (which does not do her tech knowledge of sabers any justice), and you have a rough image of Liz's base concept.

Alexis
*smiles*
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a black light Light Saber - Plus a Sith who uses psychedelic gases to make his/her enemy's "Trip Out" before s/he uses his/her blade to seduce his/her victim into a deadly funk of doom!

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doomhead wrote:
How about a black light Light Saber - Plus a Sith who uses psychedelic gases to make his/her enemy's "Trip Out" before s/he uses his/her blade to seduce his/her victim into a deadly funk of doom!

Have you been hanging out with George??

Stop killing Star Wars !!
Wink

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No not at all " He said with sarcasm in his voice, George and I never!"

One more holocron over the line!

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog

Last edited by Doomhead on Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:20 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
darkclown789
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people should stick to the three base colors in the movies - that way everyone can envision them perfectly. (plus, they are already just plain cool) Purple should be extremely rare.

~Darkclown

Wolves do not concern themselves with the opinions of sheep.
Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To each their own, for me Darkclown, Blue, Green, Purple, and Red, are just not personal enough, and since I rarely if ever play or run an Imperial Timeline game, I can go by "Before the destruction of the caves (can't recall which) Jedi had blades of almost every hue and color" Which is mentioned in one book or another.

Alexis
*smiles*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: