The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Do I give this player a DSP?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Do I give this player a DSP? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, I would say that he would get a DSP - BUT only if I warned him Iin game BEFORE he did it that he would warrant one. I dont hand out DSP's without warning, so if i miss a warning in a game, the player gets off the hook.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though he's not FS, I'd certainly give him a DSP. His actions were intentionally cruel, with malice and forethought. He could have executed the incapacitated ISB agent right there, but he took the trouble of reviving him, hanging, harrasing and THEN murdering him in cold blood. That's evil, no matter what the guy did.

DSP have no game mechanics effect on a NFS character, so what does it matter if he gets one or not? In my view the number of DSP a character has is pretty much a measurement of his "alignment" (if you'll excuse a D&D term). Such a ruthless character MUST have a couple of DSP on his sheet, it reflects his personality, and it's much better if he can look at those points in his sheet and remember "Oh, this one is from when I executed that ISB agent, this one is for when I detonated Tarkin's cat... yeah, I'm a mean MF."
Savaad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically, it sounds like some are saying that people can just go around and do evil stuff and be cool. I believe it says in the game book that murder is a way for NFS to get DSPs. Now, if they have to spend a force point to get the DSP then most evil people would never get DSPs. In a nutshell, it doesn't really matter if he gets it except to limit bad actions from happening. The PC feels justified on his behalf that he shouldn't get the DSP, but he said he would do the action either way. So it seems like its about 50/50 thus far.
Scazar
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I need to clarify, I have been lurking on these forums for about a year or so now, this just prompted me to make an account and actually post Razz

As the said PC in the mentioned situation I feel the need to clarify a bit of the situation. The ISB agent was undercover in the Friends of Piran resistance base as one of the members of said rebel cell. He sold them out getting most of them killed. Then when we were escaping he severely wounded one of our team members, and mortally wounded another.

The statements that were made once I woke the guy back up were "guess what, both of those people you damn near killed, they are still alive, so you failed" then I chucked the guy off the catwalk. The jedi of the party was upstairs taking care of the mortally wounded character, so luckily he was at no risk of getting the DSP. So far as the character was concerned he considered himself to be serving justice as judge, jury, and executioner.

Now I am not really concerned about the DSP, were I personally GMing the game there is about a 50/50 likelihood that I would issue a DSP for it as well.

My only concern lies within the morality of the starwars universe as a whole. Following this escapade our group will be going to a severely damaged star destroyer disguised as maintenance workers, we will plant bombs on it, and blow it to hell and back. Killing everyone on board and most of the people on the attached space defense platform. Now most of those people will be imperials, but alot of them will be people who know how to fix stuff that were drafted by the imperials to work on the Star Destroyer and therefore innocent in the context of the situation. We won't get DSPs for that though. How is throwing that one guy off the catwalk after telling him that he failed any more morally wrong that killing off a bunch of innocent people to complete a military objective?

Thus is my beef with the StarWars morality. I accept that StarWars is a black/white, good/evil universe. No pesky shades of gray to leave room for interpretation. Hell I've even played a Jedi rather successfully. It's just that sometimes it gets ridiculous.

I'm more than willing to take the dsp in this situation because that is what the rules call for, that is the way the Star Wars morality works, plus it fits the story arc for the character that i'm playing. Just figured i'd toss my side of the story out there Very Happy
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scazar wrote:
So far as the character was concerned he considered himself to be serving justice as judge, jury, and executioner.

So was Tarkin when he destroyed Alderaan.

Scazar wrote:
My only concern lies within the morality of the starwars universe as a whole. Following this escapade our group will be going to a severely damaged star destroyer disguised as maintenance workers, we will plant bombs on it, and blow it to hell and back. Killing everyone on board and most of the people on the attached space defense platform. Now most of those people will be imperials, but alot of them will be people who know how to fix stuff that were drafted by the imperials to work on the Star Destroyer and therefore innocent in the context of the situation. We won't get DSPs for that though. How is throwing that one guy off the catwalk after telling him that he failed any more morally wrong that killing off a bunch of innocent people to complete a military objective?

Simple response:
Contractor; Clerks wrote:
You know, any contractor willing to work on that Death Star knew the risks. If they were killed, it was their own fault. A roofer listens to this... (taps his heart) not his wallet.
Wink

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the team should never get DSPs for destroying a Star Destroyer full of imperials. That's war, and Star Wars is about, well.. wars.

However, killing that single ISB agent warrants a DSP for the particular cruelty of the act itself. As I explained earlier, finishing off the incapacitated imperial would be perfectly allright in the rules of engagement. But when you go through the trouble of reviving him, rubbing his failure in his face and THEN murdering him in cold blood, that crosses the line between military combat and cruelty.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
I agree that the team should never get DSPs for destroying a Star Destroyer full of imperials. That's war, and Star Wars is about, well.. wars.

However, killing that single ISB agent warrants a DSP for the particular cruelty of the act itself. As I explained earlier, finishing off the incapacitated imperial would be perfectly allright in the rules of engagement. But when you go through the trouble of reviving him, rubbing his failure in his face and THEN murdering him in cold blood, that crosses the line between military combat and cruelty.

It's also a reality of war that sometimes you want payback when your buddies get hurt. ISB agents are like Nazis, almost all of the Imperials are meant to be modeled on the Nazi archetype, and killing Nazis is a good thing. In my opinion, it's only the Jedi or other Force users (depending on the moral requirements of their order) who need to worry about acting with pure motivations, like paladins or something. For them, the Star Wars Universe is a black and white place. For everyone else, it can be gritty and realistic, with lots of gray areas and moral quandaries, and I stand by my opinion that no DSP should be required in such situations, except for extremely depraved acts.

Killing a murderer like an ISB agent, who would otherwise be doing everything he could to kill off the entire party, as well as providing intel to kill off any other Rebels he can find, is perfectly justifiable, even if the guy chose to get some visceral satisfaction by rubbing the agent's face in his failure before offing him. Hell, I'd not only not give him a DSP, I'd probably give him some bonus character points at the end of the session for good roleplaying.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masque wrote:
... I stand by my opinion that no DSP should be required in such situations, except for extremely depraved acts.

Killing a murderer like an ISB agent, who would otherwise be doing everything he could to kill off the entire party, as well as providing intel to kill off any other Rebels he can find, is perfectly justifiable, even if the guy chose to get some visceral satisfaction by rubbing the agent's face in his failure before offing him. Hell, I'd not only not give him a DSP, I'd probably give him some bonus character points at the end of the session for good roleplaying.

I dunno, I would kind of consider the rubbing of the satisfaction into the guy's face... well, reviving him just to do so... to be a fairly depraved act.

That's not to say that he still couldn't be awarded with bonus CP for roleplay... but I don't think that tempering it with a DSP is so unwarranted. Either way you look at it, it's committing torture. Torture is a fairly depraved act. It's kind of like that distinction between manslaughter and murder... and why murder is so much worse.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Savaad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I dunno, I would kind of consider the rubbing of the satisfaction into the guy's face... well, reviving him just to do so... to be a fairly depraved act.

That's not to say that he still couldn't be awarded with bonus CP for roleplay... but I don't think that tempering it with a DSP is so unwarranted. Either way you look at it, it's committing torture. Torture is a fairly depraved act. It's kind of like that distinction between manslaughter and murder... and why murder is so much worse.

I think this is how I feel. This is a murderous act, plain and simple. Said PC will be rewarded the usual for playing PC properly.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu hit the button there - The fact that you revived him just to rub something in his face and kill him is what would merit the DSP. Perhaps the fact that you hung him as well.

If you would have met him on even grounds, and killed him with a blaster shot - or mortally wounded him and didnt save him, that would be fine.

It was how you went about killing him not that you killed him

With respect to the SD you are gonna blow - it is war, and thats what happens. As well, if you dont do that, they will kill countless others in the name of the empire, so that is why it does not merit a DSP in my eyes.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I've just always imagined that the force doesn't really have a will or morality of it's own and someone has to know/believe they're doing something wrong before they can feel the taint of the darkside. If a PC can honestly say they don't think their in character actions were wrong/evil (especially if they're not force sensitive) then I wouldn't hand out a DSP.

For instance if a PC was duped into destroying an unarmed ship of refugees because faulty information led them to believe it was some sort of typhoid Mary or a suicide bomber with a weapon that could incinerate a planetary biosphere then I might award a DSP for a Jedi character after they find out what they've done but even once they find out what they've done I wouldn't hand out a DSP for a non force sensitive character.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I give this player a DSP? Reply with quote

Savaad wrote:
The PC with the hatred for the empire takes the guy and has one of the other PCs to revive him. After reviving the ISB dude, said PC hangs the dude off a 2 story catwalk and goes off on the guy for getting tons of people killed and so forth. And then he drops the guy off of the catwalk to die. The guy hits the factory floor and dies. Said PC is not Force Sensitive.

DOES HE GET A DARK SIDE POINT?

I think yes.

Right up to the part where he had someone else revive the imp and then hung him off a balcony i felt all was ok. From then on, he deserved a DSP for his actions AS does anyone who is FS who did not try and stop him. blatant evil is always imo DSP worthy.

Quote:
Yes, according to the letter of the rules this character would not get a dark side point. However many GMs do not run the game this way

IIRC of the rules, one who is NFS does not have to spend a FP to earn a DSP. Especially if the act blatantly evil.

Quote:
I wouldn't have given him a dark side point as moral ambiguity and flexibility are one of the advantages of being non force sensitive... at least in my mind.

There is a big difference between moral ambiguity and what this guy did. Flat out murder which is what that entailed, is not morally ambiguous.

Quote:
There's other options to consider as well. Do they work for the Rebelion? Murder isn't really something they're cool with. Especially with an ISB agent that can be debriefed for some good info.

Other party members could also talk to him about it. If other party members are jedi or force sensitives associating with someone that continuously murders people may not be cool with them.

That is very true. A DSP is not the only punishment that can be metted out. Was this guy seen by others doing it? That could bring a death warrant on his head for murder. Bad publicity for him, his group and the rebellion as a whole. And any FS/jedi wanna bees in the group can come down on him for his flat out evil action.

Quote:
How is throwing that one guy off the catwalk after telling him that he failed any more morally wrong that killing off a bunch of innocent people to complete a military objective?

You yourself said it. The ISD/shipyard is a military objective, and therefore a necessity in war to destroy. The ISB agent was already captured and neutralized and so was no longer a threat and if brought back to the rebellion could have given valuable information. Your act left a gaping hole for the dark side to seep into since hatred and anger are of the dark side.

Quote:
So was Tarkin when he destroyed Alderaan.

Or many other imperials. Not all relished in the blood shed, but they still completed it due to their sense of duty and desire to act as judge, jury and executioner.

Quote:
It's also a reality of war that sometimes you want payback when your buddies get hurt.

While it maybe a reality of war, it in no way makes it right or acceptable.

Quote:

I guess I've just always imagined that the force doesn't really have a will or morality of it's own and someone has to know/believe they're doing something wrong before they can feel the taint of the darkside. If a PC can honestly say they don't think their in character actions were wrong/evil (especially if they're not force sensitive) then I wouldn't hand out a DSP.

Ignorance of the evilness of your actions does not absolve you of that evil..

[/quote]
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:

See, I disagree with having to believe you are doing something wrong to hit the taint of the dark side... that's part of its insidious nature; you believe you are doing right while you're slipping down the slippery slope. The Dark Side is not all overt shows of anger and cruelty, it's subtle, it's intrusive, it works through the guise of altruism... this is the TRUE dark side. The overt anger, the furthering of obvious suffering, despair, these are the aspects of the Dark Side that are easy to put aside, they are just the mask. The real Dark Side is much more deceptive and trapping.

Esoomian wrote:
For instance if a PC was duped into destroying an unarmed ship of refugees because faulty information led them to believe it was some sort of typhoid Mary or a suicide bomber with a weapon that could incinerate a planetary biosphere then I might award a DSP for a Jedi character after they find out what they've done but even once they find out what they've done I wouldn't hand out a DSP for a non force sensitive character.

This one is much more of a grey area, however. The character may not be acting on passion, may not have sought or accepted the easy path, is acting for a greater good, and is fully ignorant of the fact that they've been misled... their intentions and actions may be pure, but with a terrible consequence.
It would be DSP worthy if the character did not do everything in their power to ensure the validity of the information they were using; destruction should not be the first choice of action for a Jedi type... if there was no way for them to know, they were not acting in concert with the Dark Side, though the result may have encouraged suffering and pain.

For a non-Force sensitive, it's an obvious no DSP situation, however.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to add that, unlike others here, I don't think a DSP is a form of punishment. Reducing CPs is punishment, awarding a DSP is mereley stating the fact that a character was tainted by an evil action. The said character should certainly be awarded all the CPs his roleplaying earned him, giving him a DSP has nothing to do with it.

For me it's very simple, here's a character who has no problem reviving an incapacitated enemy just to abuse him and execute him in cold blood. The morals of this character are expressed by that dark side point on his sheet. Nothing more to it. Game on.

A couple of times I have suggested to the GM that my character should receive a DSP for some particularly inhuman action.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
See, I disagree with having to believe you are doing something wrong to hit the taint of the dark side... that's part of its insidious nature; you believe you are doing right while you're slipping down the slippery slope. The Dark Side is not all overt shows of anger and cruelty, it's subtle, it's intrusive, it works through the guise of altruism... this is the TRUE dark side. The overt anger, the furthering of obvious suffering, despair, these are the aspects of the Dark Side that are easy to put aside, they are just the mask. The real Dark Side is much more deceptive and trapping.

I think this is one of the reasons that I wouldn't award one for a NFS character. While the Force flows through everything living, I don't think it particularly "notices" non Force sensitives much except when they're specifically calling on it (spending a Force Point). The reason the rules are so morally strict on sensitives, in my view, is that they, whether actively channeling the Force or not, are always being "noticed" by the Force, so I have no problem with them having to watch their step, that's the price for their power.

As I've mentioned in other threads, I certainly don't let NFS characters run around willy nilly, committing evil acts everywhere with no punishment, I find ways for their crimes to catch up with them in other ways. I find the DSP mechanic simply useless for them, as it doesn't have any real penalties. For a NFS to earn one without spending a Force Point in the action, it has to be something evil on a pretty big scale, acts of mass murder or genocide, to get the Force to "notice" the character and earn a DSP, but even then, I find it unsatisfying, as it still has no real penalty other than a tick on the character sheet, so even then, I would still use sory based consequences, such as, oh, an insurrection movement rises up to overthrow the character, assuming for the sake of example that he's some kind of ruler like Tarkin.

I find it way more effective to use natural consequences for more mundane evil acts, such as friends or relatives of the victims finding out about the character and sending bounty hunters after them, or seeking personal vengeance, and other plot elements like that directly related to the real world consequences of their actions. If you act like an evil prick in my game, it will come to bite you in the @$$, but if I just awarded a DSP instead, I don't think they would care. This is mostly theoretical, as my players aren't particularly inclined towards evil acts, but I have had the consequences of their actions come back to haunt them in several ways, and they've always found the plot centered way of doing it more satisfying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: