The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The new miniature line
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> The new miniature line
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Whatta think of the new Star Wars Miniature Line?
32%
 32%  [ 10 ]
Dislike
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Loathe
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Don't Care
48%
 48%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 31

Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: The new miniature line Reply with quote

Much as I know we all hate to support them, but I really like the new line of Miniatures from Wizards of the Coast. Good price, pre-painted, plastic for long life (Compared to metal which tends to break around me)...

Yes, they're "Collectors", meaning you don't see what you get, to encourage folks to buy more, but that's a small price in my mind.

What's everyone else's view of 'em?
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started collecting them in the first set... the game was ok to play. But it's severely broken towards the empire.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One Evil Empire helping another, you think?
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps.

But my friend found a combination using Imperial officers, Stormtrooper officers, and Heavy Stormtroopers. Boba Fett himself died in a round.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I like the "look" of the minis, and plan to try to make paper minis from the pics I've snagged, I don't care for the cost of the miniatures nor the rules for the game. So in that regards, I'm not a huge fan of them.

To each their own, though.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The miniatures themselves are really only useful for Mooks.

Unless someone's character happens to look like one of the main characters from starwars.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not talking about the Miniatures game, just the line itself for use in D6 games.

Good point on the Mook bit, however. Forgot about that.

Where would you get the PC Minis then?
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen folks suggest using Lego figures on line for use in campaign. A Star Wars Lego figure could easily be repainted to be a different character all together from the one it was bought as. Looking at the boxes, most of them seem pretty much like the generic Lego figures just repainted, and in some cases with certain additions, to be characters from the movies. Perhaps they could be used.

Wanted Poster
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate 'em. They're useless to me.

While I agree the miniatures are fairly well done, it's the packaging that ruins the line. What I need is squad boxes. I need squads of stormtroopers, battledroids, and other "line" units for both my RPG and Miniatures Battles game. I also would have liked the WotC minis to be compatable with my 500+ WEG 25mm figures; but since they're not - I havent bought any.

The scale and packaging has alienated both the pre-existing role playing and miniature game playing groups.

...and THAT is why they fail.
Xzil Maru
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
Hate 'em. They're useless to me.

While I agree the miniatures are fairly well done, it's the packaging that ruins the line. What I need is squad boxes. I need squads of stormtroopers, battledroids, and other "line" units for both my RPG and Miniatures Battles game. I also would have liked the WotC minis to be compatable with my 500+ WEG 25mm figures; but since they're not - I havent bought any.

The scale and packaging has alienated both the pre-existing role playing and miniature game playing groups.

...and THAT is why they fail.

Exactly, I agree 99%

EDIT: okay not 100% because I don't hate them, but I do find them useless.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see where the miniature line might have their uses, I even considered them for props in my games very briefly. However, I do not like the "collector" factor ($21 for a plastic mini that is rare!), and I do not like the lack of variety or poseability you get with true wargames miniatures than you can assemble. Of course, in the last decade the price issue has become a problem for Wargames miniatures too (this model is rare and powerful in the game, let's make the fig $15-$45).
Jen'tara Rhee
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ticks me off is it seems that they are ignoring the RPG and just doing the miniatures. So, they will not be publishing anymore books, but they keep the license. Grrr...
Rancor Pit Martial Arts Styles: http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=9894#9894
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I admit to enjoying them, (all those stormtroopers!) I do agree that there should be a return to pewter like they started. There are plenty of talented sculptors and companies that can make inexpensive metal minis.

E

I also admit to purchasing 2 AT-AT's and 2 AT-ST's. They look so cool next to 28mm minis!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: