The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Simple rules for poisons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Simple rules for poisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Simple rules for poisons Reply with quote

Hi!

It is good to be back, I have not been her a while, but once more the power of SWD6 is beyond my feeble willpower Very Happy

I have made some simple rules for using poison.
I like it that way, simple and fast, enjoy.

http://download.yousendit.com/AB51638021F8B32A
AcesAndEights
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GM came up with something simple for handling poison. He created an advanced skill based off of first-aid. In creating the poison, I roll poison engineering (which is the skill he created), first with first-aid which, determines whether I can create poison, and then I roll just poison engineering to determine the potency. Of course, this is for synthetic poison, if I am trying to derive something from an animal or plant, then I roll biology or chemistry. Thus far I have only wanted to create stun/damage based poison, so he hasn't had to come up with anything else.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice rules (not too complex and pretty comprehensive). I was using something similar, but without specified poison types (each poison has it's own unique effects) plus I have a various effects depending on STR-potency roll resolved like a wound levels (and many poisons have a partial effects even if STR roll is higher, like in Cyberpunk 2020).
One more note about skill poisons - I don't think it's really needed. It can be handled by other skills (like AcesAndEights said: scholar: chemistry, scholar: biology, medicine etc., depending on poison type, maybe combined with alien species). IMHO It's not a very hard to create a poison when you have idea how works victim's organism or how chemicals reacts on proteins.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also - I think stamina might be used instead of STR attribute.
Ah, and one more thing I forgot (I think i found this rule somewhere over the net and expanded): decomposition time. Some poisons stay in human (or non human) system for some time and strengths of few poison doses applied during short time period should be summed!

Example: One cup of rum (1D+2 = 6) is no problem for Henry The Pirate (stamina 4D+2 = 20), next two made him only happier (rolls: 4 and 9, sum: 19), but fourth cup was a bad idea (roll: 11, sum 30 against stamina roll 20 = 10 - incapacitated) - Henry just lost contact with reality Smile

Additionally (for those who like complex rules) poison may fade off slowly (point by point) exponentially Wink
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
plus I have a various effects depending on STR-potency roll resolved like a wound levels (and many poisons have a partial effects even if STR roll is higher, like in Cyberpunk 2020)

That sounds like a great idea!

Like this?

The whatever poison
Potency: 5D
Wounded: Nausea -1D to dexterity
Incapacitated: ill -1D to all rolls for 1D hours
Mortally wounded: Paralyzed for 1D hours
Killed: Coma for 1D weeks
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gollummen wrote:

Like this?

Exactly! For simplicity and to save time I'm making my descriptions even simpler:

Tear gas
Stunned: light intoxication - tears only, -1 to vision based rolls for 10x1D minutes)
Wounded: severe intoxication - nausea, vomiting, swell, -1D/(wound level) to all rolls for (wound level) x 1D hours
Orion
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link is dead, does anyone still have this? I would be interested in reading it.
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sorry. Its is gone ecause I use Tupteqs rules now.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about critters?? I am thinking of making a module where one of the possible combats has the party come across a nasty creature which has a potent neurotoxin type poison that destroys nerves as it flows through the body.
I am thinking of the following for it.

When hit by the (insert creatures name here) stinger and the user takes at least a wound, the poison makes it into the body. 1D rounds later, he must start making stamina rolls. A first roll of 20 or less indicates the poison took hold in the stung site. Every stamina roll there after (in 5 round intervals) that fails to hit a 17 or more allows the poison to leach through out more of the body, say from the arm, to shoulder to chest.. If it hits the heart or head (after say 4 failed stamina rolls) the person dies due to his heart/brain stopping.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of like a creeping paralysis? So a sting in the leg might take a few rounds to effect the heart and cause a fatal result but if it paralyses the legs it makes moving a lot more difficult?

The Vong's poison has a decent enough rule set for that sort of thing.
Difficult/Very difficult stamina roll if failed character looses 1D dexterity if character looses all dexterity then it's night night time. The effects are only temporary but with a neurotoxin they might not be.

If you want to use a more complex mechanic where the poison might travel and effect multiple systems on a single application then you have to work out what effects tourniquets and the like may have on halting the progress.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of, but unlike a paralysis, it can easily kill someone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: