The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Bowcaster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Bowcaster Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masque wrote:
Unless it's some kind of artillery bowcaster, I don't see fire control being a possibility, it's a personal weapon, and a relatively primitive one at that.

Custom Iron Sights, fitted specifically for the Shootist.

And just because the base design is primitive, doesn't mean the current designs are.

Look at what they do with Compound Crossbows nowadays.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, doesn't make sense to have firecontrol without some sort of computer system controller... It IS possible to have firecontrol on a hand-held weapon, but the technology seems quite rare (I think I've seen it in 2 official blasters). Without a sophisticated computer control system or an uplink to cybernetics, both of which I would not grant so cheaply, I wouldn't allow it.

And compound crossbows these days have nothing close to what would be considered firecontrol... correct me if I'm wrong.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Kirkler
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custom grips and sights that give the user 1D to hit but everyone else -1D its easy to make you don't need high tech and might I add that Chewies bowcaster wasn't primative he had "repeating" bowcaster he never had to cock it. Wookies do use high tech items.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
And compound crossbows these days have nothing close to what would be considered firecontrol... correct me if I'm wrong.

You can get them with reflex light sights that give something similar to a laser pointer that only you can see.

You can get the same on a Pistol or a Rifle as well.

But it was more to the point that just because the IDEA is old, doesn't mean the technology going into a current design is. Crossbows were used as Silent Weapons, being even more quiet than a suppressed shot.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, firecontrol infers, at least based on what I've encountered, computer guided target tracking/acquisition systems... Things like you've suggested would be accomplished better in terms of game mechanics as an increase of range increments without going beyond the max range (ie. changing something like short 2-10 to short 2-30), reducing the difficulty to hit at range while not changing how far the weapon can actually reach.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your bolts could have some kind of micro guidance system built in to them...

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Kirkler
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well don't call it Fire Control call it an accuracy bonus, do what ever it takes so you can sleep well at night. I just say FC becouse it's easy and allready in the game.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cracken's Field Guide has blaster sights (+1D to hit). I'd use this unless you've got a Cyborged Wookiee.
YodaWI
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the bowcaster is underpowered. The first character I ever roleplayed was a Wookiee, and I they have been my favorite ever since. In my most recent campaign, as a Rebel Special Forces Wookiee, my GM let me have Ryyk Blades to compensate for the weaker bowcaster.

It was a lot of fun going berserk while trying to stop the local guerilla's from raiding a small village. Several limbs were were lost Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: