The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Building my Lightsaber
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Building my Lightsaber Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Building my Lightsaber Reply with quote

I posted this on my own forum, but figured you guys might have some interest in it too...

While poking around the store Saturday while I was working, I picked up one of the pieces of vintage camera gear that was on top of the photographic copy machine as a decoration just out of mild curiosity (I work at a photography/Apple store). It was an old camera flash, the kind like you see in the 40s and 50s period films where the press have those big cameras with the large hand-held flashes with the big bulb and reflector on the top.

I was looking it over and noticed a familiar seeming wire port, that got me thinking "wait a second..."

I turned it over in my hand a little and noticed two rounded projections from the top and a distinctive curve in the housing that made my stomach lurch in recognition. That's right, it was a Graflex 3-cell flash tube, the one used by ILM's props department to make Luke's lightsaber for A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back.

I posted this on my own forum, but figured you guys might be interested too...

I went in to work today to talk to the owner and see how much he'd want for it, and he gave it to me for free Smile So now I can put together my own lightsaber replica!
ILM really didn't do too much to the tube to make the original prop... basically removed the bulb and reflector, glued some windshield wiper blades to the lower housing, bolted on a belt clip and slid part of an LED calculator (ANH) or printed circuit board (ESB) into the side clip... and there it was.

I've taken the tube apart and it's going to need some cleaning, but I think I should have my saber ready for August's release of Clone Wars Smile

I'll add photos of the process as I do it Smile

Donate to Ankhanu Press
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are the uber geek...... im jeleous!

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that must have been an incredible moment, the realization that you had a genuine Graflex in your hands... I would be stoked!

Good luck on your saber-building!
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started cleaning the flash tube using some Silvo metal cleaner and a pencil eraser. The Silvo didn't work so well, but the eraser was gentle, yet firm enough to remove a lot of the surface dirt.

I bought a Dremel and started cleaning the tougher parts with a brass wire brush and with a nylon brush. The inside of the tube where the base connects with the rest of the tube was pretty rusted. I got a lot of the rust out of there, though there's still some left. It opens and closes a LOT easier and smoother now though. There are some problem spots that are either etched or otherwise proving difficult to clean, but a little grime on something that's supposed to be from a dirty galaxy and have survived for decades seems appropriate Smile

So, yeah, still lots of work to do; I still have to buy the additional hardware to install on the tube, and perhaps do some more cleaning, but it's coming along.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this looks quite sweet ank. you have to bring it to my place when you visit Wink

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm a little curious here. Were you gonna try and turn it into a plasma saber so you could go for nearly the full lightsaber effect (save the sound effects ofcourse) or were you just going for the coolness of the handle? I mean either way it looks awsome from the pics you posted. I'm jealous cause the closest I can come is Hasbro's Clone Wars Ultimate Lightsaber (which is wwwwwaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy far away from what you've got going and ofcourse looks like the toy it is).

Now a day after The Clone Wars opened so did you get it completed in time?

Wanted Poster
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get it completed. I decided to order a conversion kit from blat-tech.com to finish it, and it hasn't arrived yet.
After hunting around hardware and department stores for parts, and some other hunting, I figured at $30, I may as well get good quality replica stuff rather than buy temporary parts for about the same price that I'd want to replace later. I only placed the order about a week and a bit ago, so I'm not surprised that it hasn't shown up; cross border shipping always takes at least 2 weeks.

I'm just doing the handle; I hadn't even really considered a plasma saber. I do have the Anakin's Master Replicas Force FX Lightsaber already, so I'm not really in need of a bladed saber in this style. Having something I can hang on my belt will be pretty sweet Smile

(Me one cold winter's night, with my Force Fx saber)

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're all shades o cool.

And I agree with you on not turning the graflex into a plasma saber, especially since you already have an FX. I think it'll look better as a straight replica than trying to cram a plasma blade in there.

...envy....
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever told you you kinda look like Kyle Katarn? Well, Jason Court. I look at that pic of you with the FX saber and for some reason I'm pictureing Court during the live action cut scenes of Jedi Knight when he played Kyle. Different color saber, but still.

Wanted Poster
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just because my features are all washed out by the lightsaber Razz When I'm not washed out I look less like him.

And I'm not that cool... unless you think really uncool geeky is cool... which is possible in a community based entirely around a role playing game Smile

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, you're cool, man. You play bass guitar in a band and are on your way to having two great lightsabers. That's cool enough in my book.

...plus the D6 thing...

And I think you could make a great Jedi. Not quite Kyle, but still convincing.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
And I think you could make a great Jedi. Not quite Kyle, but still convincing.

One day....

Very Happy

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty freaking sweat, thats all I have to say!!!!

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta go with the crowd here on this one. This whole thread is so darn cool that you must be cool by association at least.

How can a sabre wielding bass player not be cool? If you went on tour and did some freelance 'problem solving' on the side you'd probably get your own TV serries.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
That's just because my features are all washed out by the lightsaber Razz When I'm not washed out I look less like him.

And I'm not that cool... unless you think really uncool geeky is cool... which is possible in a community based entirely around a role playing game Smile

A little less like Court, but I can still see it even in that picture.

Wanted Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: