The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Clone Wars [theatrical release+TV series launch]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Clone Wars [theatrical release+TV series launch] Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
obidancer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: The Clone Wars [theatrical release+TV series launch] Reply with quote

I'm surprised nobody has commented on the Clone War after its release on the 15th! 8)
Any thoughts on it? Uber cool? Crap? Love the style? Hate it?
Sabre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want my last shred of fandom to die screaming in unimaginable agony.

So, I'm avoiding it.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went in to see a two hour comercial for a TV series. I got what I paid for. I'm not saying it was terrible... but it wasn't really good either.

They say that the movie was marketed towards kids. The depection of the characters and the humor certainly was, and also a few of the plot devices reeks of kids movies. However, the level of violence and the general complexity of the plot was well above that of a kids movie.

A few of the beefs that I have with the movie is that they did away with the opening crawl and had a 1950's style voice-over narration. The music was of a VERY different style than John Williams had ever composed. OVERALL PLOT SPOILER: Someone has kidnapped Jabba the Hutt's child. Since the Hutts control many space lanes in the Outer Rim, the republic wants to get in good with him to make use of the space lanes for military purposes. So Jedi are dispatched to rescue Jabba's baby. (Which my friends and I had dubbed Larva the Hutt.)

My friends walked out of the theater saying that it was better than the Phantom Menace (which they thought was the worst SW movie). I'm not so sure that I agree (on two levels). I saw it. I'm not sorry I saw it. But I probably won't own it on video.[/code]
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not yet seen it, since I'm currently living in Italy and it only premieres here on the 19th of September !!!

That said, I have friends who saw it and have read some of the online reviews. I think the main thing to keep in mind going in to see this movie is that it is NOT some sort of "Episode VII". It is NOT "the new Star Wars movie". It's just a special episode of a television animation series that happened to premiere in the cinemas.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went in to see a 2 hr comercial for a TV series.

I got what I went to see.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went in and saw it, it wasn't bad. It is what it is, ya know? Like Cheshire said, it's a 2hr commercial for the tv series, and it looks like the TV series will be watchable.
It's Prequel junk that f's with previously established canon... but that's what everything they've produced in the past decade has been, hasn't it? No real surprises. It's a basic continuation of the Clone Wars and Attack of the Clones material with little to offer the overall Epic other than perhaps some continuity confusion if they're not careful to make sure timelines and events/people mesh up with Revenge of the Sith. Don't expect Clone Wars quality...

The movie is more about constant action than real plot work, but the plot makes sense and works as an introduction to the series and Asoka (sp.). I'm pleased that Asajj Ventress will be more prominent in the series; she's been a neglected character with a lot of potential. Other than Anakin having a padawan, it's not looking like the series is going to mess with base concepts of the setting (as established by the Prequels), which is nice; it'll be less of a smack in the face of Star Wars sensibility than, say, The Force Unleashed.

It's aimed at kids... expect something along the lines of a more action packed Ewoks... though it is slightly more adult oriented than the Star Wars tv shows from our childhoods.

Sabre wrote:
I don't want my last shred of fandom to die screaming in unimaginable agony.

So, I'm avoiding it.

It's no worse than a lot of the other elements of Prequels... in fact, I'd still say it was better than Attack of the Clones (not that that's tough) Razz

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Sabre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's no worse than a lot of the other elements of Prequels...

That bad eh?
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like it or not... that's modern Star Wars. It's to be expected. We can take it with a grain of salt... or just not watch it.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least there's no Jar Jar.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a plus.

I didnt like the style of animation that much, would have preferred more life like.

but yea, it was a 2 hour commercial for the tv series Razz

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Scrawprin
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally love all the movies (to each their own opinion - I take the movies for what they are: entertainment), and my son and I saw The Clone Wars a second time today.
TrueGrit
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took my son to watch the Clone Wars and we both enjoyed it. I have no real complaints; it was entertaining. Of course I'm one of those people who thinks it wouldn't be a bad idea to remake episodes 4 - 6 in the new, modern style. <ducks>
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueGrit wrote:
Of course I'm one of those people who thinks it wouldn't be a bad idea to remake episodes 4 - 6 in the new, modern style. <ducks>

That is why you fail.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueGrit wrote:
Took my son to watch the Clone Wars and we both enjoyed it. I have no real complaints; it was entertaining. Of course I'm one of those people who thinks it wouldn't be a bad idea to remake episodes 4 - 6 in the new, modern style. <ducks>

I honestly think that this is the first time I've seen this opinion from anyone. While I disagree, it's very interesting to see...

Donate to Ankhanu Press
TrueGrit
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masque wrote:
That is why you fail.

Laughing That's the typical reaction I get. Though Lucas himself has admitted they [epsiodes 4 - 6] didn't live up to his vision of them (even after the remastered special editions came out). And no matter what you think, you cannot reasonably argue that the newer films don't more fully capture the Star Wars universe in the audio/video sense.
This is not to say I didn't like them - in fact they are why I love Star Wars - but I also think they could be a lot better with modern effects.

Ankhanu wrote:
I honestly think that this is the first time I've seen this opinion from anyone. While I disagree, it's very interesting to see...

There's actually a lot of us but we tend to keep silent as many treat us worse then Trekkies - somehow believing we're guilty of sedition or something. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: