The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Clone Wars [theatrical release+TV series launch]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Clone Wars [theatrical release+TV series launch] Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll wait until it comes out on DVD... then I'll watch it.

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueGrit wrote:
masque wrote:
That is why you fail.

Laughing That's the typical reaction I get. Though Lucas himself has admitted they [epsiodes 4 - 6] didn't live up to his vision of them (even after the remastered special editions came out). And no matter what you think, you cannot reasonably argue that the newer films don't more fully capture the Star Wars universe in the audio/video sense.
This is not to say I didn't like them - in fact they are why I love Star Wars - but I also think they could be a lot better with modern effects.

Personally, I like analogue effects... digital effects lose a lot of character in many instances. I really miss stop motion creatures, filmed scale models of vehicles, and all that other good stuff. There's a certain magic that's lost when actors aren't interacting with props. This feeling isn't limited to Star Wars, but is a complaint I have in many films and TV.

There are some effects that lend themselves very nicely to modern effect techniques, but I think film makers, particularly Lucas, are blinded to the result by their infatuation with new technology. While they can make things look really slick and polished, they lose a lot in terms of setting feel. A prime example is the change in the feeling of the Star Wars setting between the originals and the modern works; the original Star Wars setting was filthy, gritty and in a state of decay... that dirty feeling is almost completely missing from the prequels and everything else made in the last decade. That completely changes the atmosphere of the setting, and not for the better, imo.

But I do agree, that there is more "exciting" actiony stuff possible with the modern effects; I just think the price paid in setting atmosphere is too high to pay Smile

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I agree withmost of your points, Ankhanu, I think the prequels would look cleaner and more polished than the classic trilogy even if they had been made with the old technology. That's a design aspect that was clearly chosen for the prequels, which is a time where things are more well-kept, more artistic, more elegant, in contrast with the grittier, more industrialized feel of the later imperial era.

I think the best example of a good use of modern and old effect technologies is the Lord of the Rings trilogy. There they used real sets, props, make-up and locations as much as possible, only relying on computers to enhance these where necessary and create other ultra-epic things that would be impractical to do physically. This created a great sense of realism and certainly aided the actor's performances. With the SW prequels I think it worked the other way around, anything that could possibly be made in the computer, was made there. This resulted in empty sets and very little character interaction, which added a greater sense of artificiality. I mean, why not put Temuera Morrison in a Clone Trooper armor and shoot that? Superimposing his head on CG bodies is unnecessary computer overkill in my opinion.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me nods
While I agree that the prequels perhaps should have been a bit cleaner than the originals, I think it went a little too far in that direction. By all former prequel canon, things weren't THAT much brighter/cleaner before the Empire. The Republic was in a state of decay, and the galaxy reflected that. While it may have been cleaner than the OT, I dont think it should have been AS clean as the PT. Of course, that's just this fan's interpretation Smile

And the LotR vs. Star Wars thing perfectly demonstrates the concept of how modern technology can be great or sterile. Thanks.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree fully with the above. LOTR is how to do digital effects right. The prequels were a muddle, and I was not impressed in the slightest by the effects in them. They just looked too fake, and there was no sense of narrative to them. The space battles were particularly atrocious, there was a lot going on, but it was too much to follow the action.

Lucasfilm productions are the archetypal example of the fact that you can have the world's greatest special effects but it can't save a film from incoherent plot and incompetent directing. First he ruined the originals with the special edition additions, and then he just pissed all over the franchise with the prequels. I'm still a fan of what he created back in the day, before he lost his mind or whatever, and I like the established EU from the time period WEG was still publishing the game, but from my perspective, it's gone way downhill since then.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His overuse of CG might explain why we saw better performances from voice actors than some of the live bodies they put in front of the camera. The voice actors didn't have the same strain, and were used to dealing without an environment.
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masque wrote:
TrueGrit wrote:
Of course I'm one of those people who thinks it wouldn't be a bad idea to remake episodes 4 - 6 in the new, modern style. <ducks>

That is why you fail.

--- Actually... I'm VERY surprised King George HASN'T done this yet....

Not that I would agree w/ him doing that. I LOVE the original series. The Prequels... well, I tell people that the prequels answered THE MOST MAJORLY important question of all time:

Why does Luke WHINE so much...??? The answer: It's genetic. Wink Very Happy

Like the other old guys here... I think the old style works best. Too much CG, and you lose focus on the actors. Plus, with the CG, things look better in the prequels than they do in the OT. Better as in: A new 2008 Mustang looks better than a 1980 Mustang... the problem is that the prequels are supposed to be just that: PREQUELS - the tech is supposed to be a little less available, a little grittier, not work as well, etc...

Again... just a couple of my thoughts on the matter...
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsiberDragon wrote:
Plus, with the CG, things look better in the prequels than they do in the OT. Better as in: A new 2008 Mustang looks better than a 1980 Mustang...

But a '67 Mustang looks better than both of those.
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masque wrote:
PsiberDragon wrote:
Plus, with the CG, things look better in the prequels than they do in the OT. Better as in: A new 2008 Mustang looks better than a 1980 Mustang...

Well... duh. Wink Very Happy
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masque wrote:
PsiberDragon wrote:

While it looks "better", it doesn't look more "modern" or "advanced" than the newer models.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw it two nights ago. My review has been written and can be read at my blog here. Warning: it's quite a geeky review.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hisham wrote:
I just saw it two nights ago. My review has been written and can be read at my blog here. Warning: it's quite a geeky review.

Nice review.

and uh... warning us that it's geeky?? Have you looked around? You're on a forum dedicated to a roleplaying game... everything about this place is geeky Wink

Donate to Ankhanu Press
darthomer09
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrawprin wrote:
I personally love all the movies (to each their own opinion - I take the movies for what they are: entertainment), and my son and I saw The Clone Wars a second time today.

I'm with him. I loved this movie, even with the kiddie highlights. And I'm on my third viewing of it. Wink

In Soviet Russia, RPG plays you!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a big fan of Star Wars in all it's forms, books, movies, animation, etc.

I think from what I can tell I will go see the movie.

And the only problem is that if they re-created the old movies, they would have to use Mark Hamill as Luke, which wouldn't work because he is too old, as well as all the other actors.
"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George would just CGI them anyways....!!!!

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: