The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Force Unleashed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> The Force Unleashed
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Schrute
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: The Force Unleashed Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone's picked up The Force Unleashed for any of the big 3 gaming platforms and what they think of it.
I just got it yesterday and have played some on my Wii. It's fun, but sometimes disappointingly simple, and all the slow-mo ridiculous third person explosions/pulses from the Force on their ad campaigns aren't quite as well represented as I'd hoped. Maybe because I'm still in the button-mashing phase, or with the Wii, the spastic nunchuk/remote shaking/twirling phase. It's supposedly going to be canonical or so I've heard. So...any thoughts or reviews?
death_jester
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

This is my first post in this board but I'm sure I will be posting more in the future.

Now to the question at hand, did I pick up the Force Unleashed? In a word yes, in two works heck yes. I'm a big fan of the universe and it was something I had been waiting for. The trailer really got me excited to play the game. However the trailer, much like Jedi Schrute says, does not give an accurate portrayal of the game play. The game is sort of short on play and it can be a bit of a button mashing ala mortal combat style of game. I did enjoy what was there but ultimately left wanting more.
After playing it through the second time I was able to see the strategy involved in the combats and get a little more out of it. I really like the way force powers have been done for the game and I hope that bioware gets a chance to do the next installment. I know that they aren't likely to get the license again but I'm still hoping.
So overall I've enjoyed it but if you can wait until the price drops a little you may be better served.
FightingCorsair
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing it on the Xbox360.

The game looks beautiful.

there are all manner of problems with the game play. Bosses ignore your strikes, enemies can interrupt your combos but you can't seem to interrupt theirs. Too many invisible walls. Can't skip cutscenes. to name just a few issues.

It's like the people who designed the graphics were the top team but the game mechanics were handled buy the bench team.

The game is fun though. Now that I've completed the story I can go back and play the fun parts and ignore the crud.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up the game for Wii on release.
The game play I found decent enough; it was fun to go through, but control was kind of iffy in places. As far as all the slow-mo Force scenes and junk from the commercials not being in the game play... well, what did you expect, really? Games almost never play out how they're advertised Wink

As a video game, I quite enjoyed the way the Force was handled and the story... but in terms of canon, it makes me shudder with revulsion Wink I'll be disappointed (but not surprised) if the story and characters become canon; it just doesn't fit with the established setting... well, no, that's not entirely true; it doesn't fit with the established pre-Prequel canon, but that's a whole other kettle of fish. Canon has become quite malleable since the release of the prequels.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Lucas was involved with the development of the game and its story and characters, it is considered canon. I could tolerate EU, but canon?
strongarm85
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually according to the Lucas Art's official canon policy, EU is considered canon as long it does not contradict G-Canon.

Its still a great game, and its canon! Check it out if you haven't already. They released it on every console thats making games right now. Aside from the big 3 consoles there are version for the PSP, PlayStation 2, and the Nintendo DS.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No PC version, though. Pass.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kids are playing it right now and they love it. It's a rental, but I sense a christmas gift.....
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
It's a rental, but I sense a christmas gift.....

I sense a trap. Wink
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strongarm85 wrote:
Actually according to the Lucas Art's official canon policy, EU is considered canon as long it does not contradict G-Canon.

Unfortunately, G-Canon is a moving target these days.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hisham wrote:
jmanski wrote:
It's a rental, but I sense a christmas gift.....

I sense a trap. Wink

Best spring it then Wink
"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: