The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

My Wife Rules... Not Spam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> My Wife Rules... Not Spam Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aardon24689
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything Star Wars falls into the catagory of what my wife refers to as "Dumb Boy Games". She is very worried (rightly so) that our first child on its way (a girl) will be corrupted by this.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's damned right to be worried. I already got my 3-year old niece to recognize the front-view schematic of a TIE Interceptor as a ship!
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently corrupting my 12 year old daughter, via the WEG RPG and my 5 year old son via the movies. Ounce the newborn gets a little older, she too shall succumb to the darkside, and my reign over the universe shall be complete.

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Golbez
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been lucky enough to have ladies who were into Star Wars already. No problems when the current one and I have kids.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife enjoyed the movies, but doesn't like the droids. She saw the movies for the first time the other month (She's from Vietnam and they have never been screened there). For some reason she doesn't like any sci fi with droids.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of funny. I've really rubbed off on my wife. Before we met, she never saw the movies all the way through without falling asleep, but she's become quite the fan.

She spent 16.5 hours in line with me and my friends getting Phantom Menace tickets, she's GM'ed a KotOR campaign, and she can now distinguish between a Wroonian and a Chiss.

Though, it was pretty funny when we were in our first roleplaying campaign together, she wasn't familiar enough with the movies not to hilariously mess up one of the famous quotes by saying, "Many banthas died to bring us this information."
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratz!

I just got my +1 (girlfriend so far, but hoping for more Smile) to watch the movies, and she enjoyed them so far Smile

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
noctum_carpe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol im lucky my girlfiend like adventure and scifi movies inluding starwars and she like the star wars rpg as well. Very Happy

You may fire when ready
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current girlfriend likes the Star Wars movies but has never played an RPG before.

I suppose it could be worse, I could have one of the girlfriends like "Star Wars is stupid, you shouldn't watch that stuff. I have the vagina so I make the rules blah blah blah"
"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
death_jester
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife (of almost 5 years in October) is a Star Wars fan. Not as big as I am but she does like the movies. She is playing the Force Unleashed now and having fun with it, but is geting frustrated with the button mashing. She absolutely loved Knights of the old Republic (both 1 and 2) and is an avid role-player.

She has played several games of Saga Star Wars but I want to introduce her to the "real" system. The system I grew up with and still to this day love. It will be a while before we can play again as college has got to take precienece in my life but I'm working on a campaign so that it will be ready when I graduate.

I don't think I'm lucky. I'd blessed, my wife is a rare and wonderous human and I'm very glad she agreed to be part of my life.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife was a long time Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter freak (books and movies) and she liked some super-hero movies before we met, but she had never seen any Star Wars movies before!

So I wanted her to watch them in chronological order to see how her SW experience would be different then mine (which was seeing the classic trilogy 100 times before 1999).

I. She had no clue that little Ani would grow up to become a monster. And she also had no clue that Palpatine was Darth Sidious until revealed in RotS (I had figured it out the first time viewing Qui-Gon's funeral).

II. She sympathized with Anakin when his mom died and he killed the Sand People, and still no clue that he would later become a Sith Lord.

III. Despite Anakin's temptations, she was still shocked when Anakin helped Palpatine to kill Mace Windu, and then she vehemently hated Anakin from the moment he killed the younglings. She was very disturbed by the whole rest of the movie. (Heck the killing of the youngling disturbs me too - I had never even thought of Vader killing kids until then.)

IV. She still hated Vader in ANH. Knowing that Luke and Leia were siblings and that Vader was their father may have even made her hate him even more (especially him holding Leia in check while Tarkin blew up her planet). She had a lot more sympathy for Luke and Leia because of their mother dying in childbirth and who their father is. She understood why Obi-Wan mislead Luke about the true identity of Vader and his father, because who would want to hear that their Dad murdered kids? And right before Luke sees his aunt and uncle had become super crispy toast? The trench run at the end of ANH was even more dramatic for my wife because not only was it the main bad guy of the movie chasing down the main hero, it was the main hero's evil father and neither of them knew it! The triumphant destruction of the Death Star was even more dramatic for her because the tide had finally turned from the downhill spiral of the prequel trilogy. ANH was even more emotionally satisfying when viewed the first time soon after RotS.

V. I thought that TESB would be less dramatic for her because she already knew the revelation that Vader revealed to Luke, and maybe it was, a little. But honestly she still felt Luke's pain when he first found out. My wife knew just how bad Vader really was, even though Luke didn't.

VI. And when we finally got to the Battle of Endor, when Vader provoked Luke with threats of converting Leia to the Dark Side, my wife actually became worried that Luke would give in to the Dark Side like his father had. Up until that point, she had thought all along that the saga would end with Luke somehow killing Vader and Sidious, like a lot of us did when we first saw it. But not out of anger, just out of good destroying evil. Luke became enraged and she immediately saw the parallel of Luke to Anakin, the same tension we were meant to feel the first time we watched it. But her seeing Anakin's fall to the Dark Side, made her feelings more amplified about Luke's struggle. But Luke resisted the Dark Side, and throwing away his lightsaber just increased the tension because who's going to kill Vader and Sidious now? Then, on the edge of her seat, when the Sith Master was killing Luke, she noticed something. Vader was considering something. She said "What is Vader thinking? Oh wow, could it really be...?" Then, YES, that evil b@st@rd* finally did the right thing, saving his son and overthrowing his master! She never would have guessed that Anakin could ever be good again after seeing just how low he sank. And watching Anakin's death scene still made her sad for Luke because he only had a dad for a very short time. Ironic because just a little earlier in the moive she was rooting for Luke to kill him. So it didn't turn out like she expected, but she was extremely gratified that after seeing all the evil that Anakin had done in his life, he died as a Jedi and a loving father. The evil of the Sith was finally destroyed once and for all, and Luke could start a new Jedi order.
So the end results? She is a Star Wars fan. Not nearly as much as me, but she is a fan now. And she had a great experience watching them for the first time in chronological order. The only one that was maybe a little less dramatic for her was TESB because she already knew what Vader told Luke. But the other five movies seemed better for her.

She does like the classic trilogy better than the prequels, but a lot of you who saw them in order of release also feel that way. She's a real big muppet fan, and Yoda (a reverse-speaking Grover) is her favorite character. Like me, she despises the new Yoda muppet they made for TPM, but loves the CG Yoda from AotC and RotS. And of course, she loves the Ewoks.

But what's really cool, is that my wife allowed me to create the wedding cake topper for our wedding cake. Of course I made it out of action figures: TESB Han and ANH Throne Room Ceremony Leia. But even better for me was that my wife allowed us to have the wedding party entrance to our reception music be Star Wars music. I picked the Throne Room ceremony music for the attendents entrance, and none other then the Star Wars Main Theme for us, husband and wife. Everyone got a big kick out of that and the wedding cake.

My wife understands my Star Wars fandom, especially how much I love the D6 RPG. And she likes Star Wars now too. I love my wife.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a great read, Whill. It's really interesting to see Star Wars like that, an experience none of us really had a chance of having.
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I always wondered what it would be like if I could erase certain things from my memory, like the Star Wars movies and then watch them in that order. It's kind of interesting to see the reactions of someone who got to do something that I didn't.
"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Whill, thanks for sharing this interesting story!
Yes, i imagine that watching the 6 episodes in a line, starting from n. 1, would change the feeling quite a bit.

As TESB i don't know: it's clear that there is less surprise, but i must say i liked it much than EP IV and VI (at least the second part of it), maybe because i like seeing our heroes stranded on different alien worlds (man Bespin Clous City is simply spectacular!), fighting with overwhelming difficulties...
...and waiting to see how they'll prevail...
Smile
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Any guy who gets anything "Star Wars" from his woman can consider himself a lucky chap. In my experience they usually try to discourage our geeky obsessions....

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy My girlfriend, her sis and their parents are MUCH bigger SW fangirls and boys then even me....... I met Her and Her sis at the local comic shop last Halloween where they were having a costume contestest with 300$ in store credit as a prize she came in as Mara Jade and Her sis (who i was intially attracted to, but she was attached already) came in as Aayla Secura (complete with realistic head-tails and blue makeup) in PROFESSIONAL-Grade Costumes they made themselves. AND both were hot enough to pull it off........ convincingly..... Shocked I HAD to talk to them, it was the will of the Force....... though it took an hour to work up the guts to do so...... LOL.. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: