The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Character for game today: Advice?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> New Character for game today: Advice? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: New Character for game today: Advice? Reply with quote

I created a character for a New Republic game we'll be playing later today. My GM seems to like the Chiss quite a bit (going on previous games) so I thought I'd make one myself. This is the first time I've created a Force using character, by the way. I've always had non-Force users in the past.

You can get her character sheet in PDF format here.

I didn't note the two Force points she starts with because they're a fluctuating number and I decided to pencil them in. Smile

Seeing as how I've never done a Force sensitive before, I'm eager to hear any advice anyone here on the board has.

And yes, she has a lightsaber in the illustration but she's not built one herself yet.

EDIT: Oops, already realized I screwed up. Had Tactics under Perception instead of Knowledge for some reason. I must be tired. Fixed now!

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think part of the fun of playing a young jedi is the unknown and the uncertainty in their life. They're discovering more and more about the force and their abilities every day. They can be excited to learn more, but cautious not to abuse it at the same time. That in itself can provide quite a few roleplaying opportunities.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What time is this adventure taking place in?

Wanted Poster
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I mentioned in the initial post that it's a New Republic game.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that starfighter a LIIIIIITTLE overpowered? Heck! 5D+2 starting maneuverability? That would go up to 7D+1 maneuverability if you tuned it! Add to that the speed of an A-Wing, the fire Control of an X-Wing, the damage of a B-Wing and shields and pretty fast Hyperdrive and top-notch sensors... Kinda out of proportion, if you ask me...

It's pretty cool looking though! Wink
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it from a conversion from SWRPGNetwork. It's the thing I'm most worried about being unbalanced or rejected. If it is though I can substitute it for a Lone Scout A or something, I suppose.

I have Star Wars stuff!
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Starfighter is definately unbalanced, especially for a beginning character. I would change it. For your character concept I do foresee a few problems:

1.: You have only distributed 6d worth of skills instead of 7d

2.: Unless you have a RP reason for this, I would strongly recommend you start out with 1d in Control, Sense and Alter. Starting them out "so weak" might not fit everybodys character concept but you are really throwing away character points and valuable trainer time this way.

Getting Control and Alter to 1d each would cost you 20 character points and take 2 weeks. Getting the same stats (1d, 3d, 1d) from the 1/1/1 base would cost you 9 character points and 9 days of training (with trainer). You would also get four more force powers! However, you can also raise them without a trainer for twice the cost and four times the time.

Alternatively, I would recommend to start out with only 1d in Sense and thereby gain two more d in your attributes, perhaps to help out your meager strength and dexterity... Especially when your teacher is Kyle who has a military background and will probably send you through some training courses that would put Yoda's to shame... Twisted Evil

3.: You forgot to note your 2 force points and 5 character points that you start out with.

4.: Tactics skill is not specialized in the type of combat (starfighters on your sheet) but rather in the particular types of forces: royal guard, bravo mercenaries, etc. In your case that should probably be Imperial or Chiss navy.

5.: Totally unvalid statement about the name - never mind

Anyway, and however you may decide, good luck with your new character! =)

Akari

Edit: OK, I'm going blind... I didn't see the name (meh!)

Last edited by Akari on Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ilu’zalundraszardraru’alimphoor seems like a nice, long, unpronouncable Chiss name to me. Smile

I had a Chiss bartender (this was before playing JK2, so I did not steal the idea!) named "Expo"... short for Drikk'exp'ortawnag
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I see the fighter as balanced. It may look like a Tie Fighter, but I'm sure it doesn't use the same parts. Good luck maintaining or repairing it easily.

It'll perform nicely for the time being, but after things start breaking down, and you find out that noone knows how to properly maintain it...

Remember, for every hour of flight-time, the fighter needs about five hours of maintence!
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akari wrote:
1.: You have only distributed 6d worth of skills instead of 7d

Possibly because of the specializations? I think the rules specify that you spend 1D of skill dice to get three specializations.

Akari wrote:
3.: You forgot to note your 2 force points and 5 character points that you start out with.

RedFox covered that here:
RedFox wrote:
I didn't note the two Force points she starts with because they're a fluctuating number and I decided to pencil them in.

Akari wrote:
4.: Tactics skill is not specialized in the type of combat (starfighters on your sheet) but rather in the particular types of forces: royal guard, bravo mercenaries, etc. In your case that should probably be Imperial or Chiss navy.

I can't remember where, but I'm almost positive that I've seen Tactics: capital ships and Tactics: starfighters in WEG material. Anyone else seen these? Akari, do you have an example that shows a tactics specialization for a particular type of force?

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loc Taal wrote:
Akari wrote:

I can't remember where, but I'm almost positive that I've seen Tactics: capital ships and Tactics: starfighters in WEG material. Anyone else seen these? Akari, do you have an example that shows a tactics specialization for a particular type of force?

I would suggest looking at high level Imperial Navy or Rebellion Navy NPC templates. Admiral Ackbar, Admiral Piett, Wedge Antilles, etc. see if that specialization is listed among their skills. (I'd look it up myself, but I'm about 2000 miles away from my sourcebooks right now.)
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First: Ok, guys, you're right. Yes, it seems Star Wars does differ from other West End Games where Tactics is force type specific, so Tactics: Starfighters is ok.

Second: In our group we always played starting out with three specializations, so I thought every character did. Guess I was wrong again.

Third: I say it once and I say it again: The starfighter is not ok, even if nobody knows how to maintain it. Its Star Wars Technology after all! Everybody knows how to fiddle with stuff. Just hand it to your favorite Verpine techie and he'll take it apart and put it back together better then ever, even if he's never seen one before.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Chuckles* Hope you like Verpine Chamber Music when he adds the Stereo system then. Twisted Evil

And good point as well, sorry. But it'll take longer than normal, that's for sure...

*Thinks* What era again? New Republic I see, but earily (X-Wing Series, 6-7 Years after A New Hope), middle (Jedi Academy Trilogy 11 Years after A New Hope), late (Corellian Trilogy or Thrawn Duology 18-19 Years after A New Hope), or almost time for the New Jedi Order (25-27 Years after A New Hope)?

'Cause the Clawcraft Interceptor might be only "Somewhat" superior to what the technology has at the time depending on when you are.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an Air Force officer, I couldn't resist chiming in on this one.

Every jet fighter (and I think this would apply to starfighters as well) has to have a specific role... there is no such thing as a "uber-fighter" that does every mission out there. You have bombers, interceptors, superiority fighters, ground-attack fighters etc.

I have to agree with Akari on this one. The stats for that specific fighter are too high in all areas. Every design has its drawbacks and limitations. (Bombers can't manuever well, interceptors aren't heavily armored, etc.) Unless galactic technology has taken a quantum leap, I wouldn't allow those stats on a fighter in a campaign that I was running. I think one of the reasons that WEG didn't release rules for modifying Starfighters is that military-grade starfighters are such a tight design. Freighters have much more "fudge factor" to play around with.

Even if a Verpine gets their hands on a fighter, there are still drawbacks. The B-Wing has a delicate Fire Control system and the Verpine Shatter gun is very fragile. Believe me, I know... I played a Verpine Mechanic/Slicer for several years, and as a player I always tried to put in some kind of drawback or limitation to whatever I was doing. ("Sure I can slice through the Imperial Security Protocols in 10 seconds, but I can almost guarantee that someone's gonna know I'm in there.")

Just my 2 credits.
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
I have to agree with Akari on this one.

*marks day red in her calendar* YAY! Someone agrees with me! Wheeee! ^_^
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: