The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Character for game today: Advice?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> New Character for game today: Advice? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
obidancer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i agree too with Akari, the fighter is overbalanced. The books clearly state which ships are state-of-the-art, according to different area of play. The A-wing, the E-wing or the X-wingXJ are all examples and stats should be based on those designs, not a combination of the best of all (even the E-wing that came out after the A-wing, isn't as fast!!) niether be superior to any of them ( the 5D+2 is REALLY too much!!!)
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loc Taal wrote:
Akari wrote:
4.: Tactics skill is not specialized in the type of combat (starfighters on your sheet) but rather in the particular types of forces: royal guard, bravo mercenaries, etc. In your case that should probably be Imperial or Chiss navy.

I can't remember where, but I'm almost positive that I've seen Tactics: capital ships and Tactics: starfighters in WEG material. Anyone else seen these? Akari, do you have an example that shows a tactics specialization for a particular type of force?

In Revised & Expanded on page 47, the specializations for Tactics are listed as "Type of military unit - squads, fleets, capital ships, ground assault."

If "starfighters" isn't allowed when "capital ships" is, then I don't know what the criteria is supposed to be for "military unit". Confused

Rerun941 wrote:
I think one of the reasons that WEG didn't release rules for modifying Starfighters is that military-grade starfighters are such a tight design. Freighters have much more "fudge factor" to play around with.

Well actually they mention that there would be forthcoming rules for starfighter modification. That book just never materialized. Even tightly designed ships can still be modified, there's just a penalty. Check out Pirates & Privateers. One of the tramp freighters in that book has a super tight design and the book says so and then says it bumps the difficulty level up one on any attempts to modify it. Smile

Mind you this is just my general opinion, and has nothing to do with the Clawcraft.

obidancer wrote:
Well, i agree too with Akari, the fighter is overbalanced. The books clearly state which ships are state-of-the-art, according to different area of play. The A-wing, the E-wing or the X-wingXJ are all examples and stats should be based on those designs, not a combination of the best of all (even the E-wing that came out after the A-wing, isn't as fast!!) niether be superior to any of them ( the 5D+2 is REALLY too much!!!)

I think I agree. My first reaction was "5D+2 Maneuver?! WTF?!!" Again, I got this from an SWRPGNetwork conversion. It's not an official source at all in any way. In fact, I'm coming to rather distrust the conversions and such listed over there. Especially if this is indicative of their usual work.

The Clawcraft, from what I recall, was simply comparable to a heavy interceptor capable of going head-to-head with the Vong. That might mean it's slightly improved from the latest A-Wing designs. Maybe even significantly if you want to showcase how superior Chiss military technology is.

But I think this particular conversion is suspect and way over-the-top. I mean, if my character got behind the control column, she'd basically have the piloting acumen of Soontir Fel. A starfighter piloting dicepool of around 13-14D.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: My Clawfighter Redesign Reply with quote

My new proposed stats for the Clawfighter based on the latest X-Wing design I could find (the New Republic stats from the Thrawn Trilogy sourcebook):

Incom T-65B X-wing starfighter. Starfighter, maneuverability 3D, hyperdrive multiplier x1, navcomputer: astromech droid (10 pre-programmed jumps), space 8, atmosphere 365; 1,050 kmh, hull 4D, shields 1D. Weapons: four laser cannons (fire-linked, fire control 3D, space range 1-3/12/25, atmosphere range 100-300/1.2/2.5 km, damage 6D), two proton torpedo launchers (fire control 2D, space range 1/3/7, atmosphere range 30-100/300/700, damage 9D).

RedFox's Chiss Clawfighter Proposed Blueprint. Starfighter, maneuverability 4D, hyperdrive multiplier x1, navcomputer: yes (limited to 4 jumps), space 9, atmosphere 385; 1,250 kmh, hull 3D+1, shields 1D. Weapons: four laser cannons (fire-linked, fire control 3D, space range 1-3/12/25, atmosphere range 100-300/1.2/2.5 km, damage 6D).

As you can see, I increased the maneuverability and speed while giving it slightly less of a hull code (due to its TIE-like design) and given it an integrated navcomp with double the jump capacity of the old B-Wing.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry... I just had to comment on the word "overbalanced." I'm sure that "overpowered" was intended but I still chuckled at the thought:

"That is way too balanced! Something less balanced wouldn't be able to compete. The level of balance is almost inconceivable!"

Again, just had to poke a little fun. Smile
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedFox wrote:
I thought I mentioned in the initial post that it's a New Republic game.

The New Republic covers a large span of time. So I guess the question is when after ANH does the adventure begin.

Wanted Poster
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
The New Republic covers a large span of time. So I guess the question is when after ANH does the adventure begin.

The GM only mentioned that it was some time after the Vong invasion began.

I have Star Wars stuff!
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: My Clawfighter Redesign Reply with quote

RedFox wrote:
As you can see, I increased the maneuverability and speed while giving it slightly less of a hull code (due to its TIE-like design) and given it an integrated navcomp with double the jump capacity of the old B-Wing.

Yes, that would make it a lot easier to swallow for a GM... no Proton Torpedos and no Astromech though, so you have to find somebody else for maintenance... A sleek, fast fighter with good dogfight abilities. I'd even give it a slightly higher speed code, probably 10 or 11 to clarify its role as an interceptor.

I'd also adjust sensors to those of a TIE Interceptor as I think this is what the design is based upon. It just has slightly higher maneuverability, shields, jump capability.

Personally, for beginning pilots I always recommend a craft that can take a beating, rather then a craft that is superior at dodging... =p
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedFox wrote:

The GM only mentioned that it was some time after the Vong invasion began.

Ok, so it's set during the NJO era then. As you said in your initial post that your character is a Chiss and here you say the GM said shortly after the begginning of the Vong invasion, I'd guess sometime around Ruin as that was when the Chiss first started appearing in the NJO.

Wanted Poster
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, okay. I suppose so. I'm not too familiar with NJO or a lot of EU stuff. I read the Thrawn trilogy and 2-book follow-up, and I read Delta Prime (yech) but that's about all so far. Oh, and I have the first graphic novel of Dark Empire.

My GM has about comparable knowledge, I think.

I have Star Wars stuff!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: