The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Powered armor question, and some GM advice needed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Powered armor question, and some GM advice needed.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ravenarchon
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Powered armor question, and some GM advice needed. Reply with quote

Hey all. I have a player who wants to use powered armor (sort'a, see below), and I can't find the rules for it anywhere in the RE core book. The only mention I can find about powered armor at all is in the skills section where it talks about using the powered armor skill as a reaction. Am I missing something? The index tells me nothing.

Secondly the aforementioned player wants to play a Squib, but he wants the squib to use a custom built suite of armor. That's human sized. As a mech. Ala Men In Black or the Asguard from Star Gate Atlantis.

I don't really have a problem with him doing this (he's my only player actually. Doing a solo campaign with my brother). I'm just not sure HOW. Do I make it a vehicle of some kind? Change the scale? Or just make it powered armor? (Which was my first thought, and why I need the powered armor rules.)

Thanks in advance for any help!
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd use the POWERSUIT OPERATION skill:

Powersuit Operation allows a character to move and maneuver while wearing a powered suit of armor, Characters would use this skill instead of dodge when trying to dodge while wearing power armor. In many instances powersuit operation behaves like starfighter piloting does -- the skill is used to "pilot" a suit of power armor, since power armor is a form of personal vehicle. Powersuit Operation is a Mechanical based skill.

You can also add weapons to the armor, these would be used under ARMOR WEAPONS, a Dexterity skill.

The best description that I've found for Power armor was in the Star Wars Adventure Journal No. 3, pages 237-252.

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gundark's Tech Guide also has a section on powersuits.

However, there are no rules on how to build a suit of powerarmor. Basically, it's just a regular suit of armor with servos to boost str and various attachments.

Important considerations: Jetpack included? Rocketpack included? Is the suit sealed (airtight)? is the suit zero-g capable? Does it have any Dexterity penalties? (most suits do)

Blaster repair would be used to add weapons to the suit.
Armor repair or Armor Engineering (A) would be used to build the suit itself. I'd use the space transport modification rules in Tramp Freighters as a benchmark on cost and time (x% of the original suit cost, etc.)

Most suits can be "custom-fit" to remove the dexterity penalty for one particular user. (Time and cost are GM's discretion.)

Also, Jetpack operation or Rocketpack operation is the skill used to manuever while flying.
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget that he's a Squib. This means that his powersuit is probably a gutted droid with other misc parts.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nova-Tech Powersuit is an ideal startpoint for any custom suit of power amour.

It's already got no dex penalty, a built in blaster (with fire control) and it's a space suit too. All that and it's got a decent amour rating too.

A steal at only 1000 credits.

Gry's source books have the full stats (Or it's on Gundark's Fantastic Technology Pg 59)

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Ravenarchon
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks the replies so far.

I'm still a little confused tho. Some of the power armors in Gry's PDF are normal armor with the standard Strength bonus to resist damage and dexterity penalty. They just also have added features. On the other hand some of the powered armor is more like a vehicle or something. With a hull code for example.

I'm not sure which to use.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice would be to first find a suit (or suits) that best conform to what you're trying to achieve and then go from there.

I don't recall any suits with hull codes but I'd treat them as being more like a vehicle than a suit.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Jedi Schrute
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I got a good suit for ya.
SoroSuub NLZ5-11 Dragon Armor

It's a suit designed by SoroSuub for Sullustans, so beings in the shorter range would find it easier to use. +3D phys, +2D energy, -2D Dex. It's got a built in blaster, twin flame throwers and a mini-missile launcher and lots of other little goodies.

Since your bro's a squib, maybe he got into some elaborate convoluted deal in which he acquired it from someone, since the prototypes and plans supposedly disappeared when SoroSuub allied with the Empire. I bet it'd be awesome to RP it out, acquiring the suit through some crazy adventure.
Full stats in Gundark's, pg. 53. It's in Gry's equipment stats too.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see it comiing into play through RP, eg being spoils of a capture or other endeavor. But not at the start of play.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm still a little confused tho. Some of the power armors in Gry's PDF are normal armor with the standard Strength bonus to resist damage and dexterity penalty. They just also have added features. On the other hand some of the powered armor is more like a vehicle or something. With a hull code for example.

Power armor is pretty much like a vehicle- your own miniature spacesuit vehicle.

Regular armor is just protective gear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: