The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Darth Maul's Ship?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Darth Maul's Ship? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggmoridin
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well phalanks first(200/4D) is an uncommonly accurate and expensive system that is designed to pick up things that are trying to hide and second the 3D+1 is in addition to those from silent running, third the stygium crystal cloaking device dose not protect the ship from visual detection they gust prevent sensor reflections.
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I wrote, a cloaking device hides a ship from sensor and naked eye as explained here : http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cloaking_device
For me, that means only sensor expert operator can find a cloaked ship just by finding that "something seems to be wrong in this space area" (because the area is totally empty for exemple).
So, I put up again this thread to have all your point of view.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutch as i respect the all knowing starwars wiki the nature of a star wars cloaking device is unclear and in star wars official cannon their is no mention of visual cloaking, and its limits are never spoken of. The stygium cloak is not shown to visually conceal darth mauls ship
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it is seen in use in at least one novel. One of Zahn's trilogy- don't remember which book.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, also, wouldn't go with the stygium making the ship invisible. I know they had visual cloaking in one of the Star Wars computer games (don't remember the specific name) but I believe that was a further enhancement of the pre-existing cloaking technology.

Likewise, there is evidence in the Empire Strikes Back that a ship the size of Darth Maul's couldn't have a cloaking device. When Captain Needa calls for the sensor team to track the Falcon, they say they lost it. Needa says something like "a ship that size can't have a cloaking device". Now that's a ship the size of the Falcon. Darth Maul's ship is substantially smaller. So I would be even less inclined to think that it was have any sort of visual cloaking field. Sensor cloak...maybe, but not visual as well.

Obviously, everyone's free to have whatever version of this that they want in their games. I really don't think revamping the "cloak" on Maul's ship to be even nastier than it already is makes it better. If anything, it makes it even less believable.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only things i concider cannon for star wars are the original movie trilogy (Up to the twenty fithy anaversary edition, after which thay start to mess with the dialog.) and original KOTOR.

The rest i concider alternate universe settings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: