The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Incom Y-4 Transport (Scouting Model)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Incom Y-4 Transport (Scouting Model)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Incom Y-4 Transport (Scouting Model) Reply with quote

Here is a ship I made for my home campain, based on the Y-4 "Raptor" transport in Cracken's Threat Dossier. Please feel free to offer constructive criticism.

Craft: Incom Y-4-SCT (SCT stands for scout)
Type: Scoutship/Light Freighter
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 28 Meters
Skill: Space Transports: Incom Y-4 Transport
Crew: 1 to 3
Crew Skill: Varies
Passengers: 11
Cargo Capacity: 300 Metric Tons
Consumables: 1 Year
Cost: 196,000 (New), 49,000 (Used)
Hyperdrive; x2
Hyperdrive Backup: x10
Nav Computer: Yes, Astromech Droid Adds +1D to Astrogation Roll
Manuverability: 1D+1
Space: 6
Hull: 5D+2
Shields: 1D+2
Sensors:
Passive: 30/0D+2
Scan: 70/1D
Search: 90/1D+1
Focus: 4/2D+2
Weapons:
2 Double Laser Cannons
Fire Arc: 1 front, 1 turret
Crew: 1 or Pilot
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 0D+1
Space Range: 1-8/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1.2/2.5 km
Damage: 4D+1

Capsule: A design dating form 20 years before the Cone Wars Incom's Y-4-SCT Long Range Scout Ship, in addition to being a subperb scouting vessel, is also a study of the inefficiency of the later Old Republic's legal system, as well corporate competition, and the results of industrial espionage and Patent Law Gone wrong. Designed by either the Incom or Kuat Drive Yards Corporations (Incom claims Kuat Drive Dards stole the design from them, and vice versa: the records are unclear as to the veracity of either claim, though it was likely Incom who first developed the design) this is a superb design that, due to corporate sabotage and espionage, the design specs for which fell into both parties hands, begining a 15 year legal battle between both corporations, during which niether side could sucessfully serve an injunction to stop the other from producing the design and as a result, hundreds of thousand were produced by both Kuat Drive Yards and Incom over those 15 years. Ironically the court battle did not work out as either side wanted: As both parties were unable to prove who had developed the design to the ship to the Republic High court, which declared the vessel design "open-source" (I.E. Public domain). What this meant was that anyone could produce the design without repercussions or paying to license the design from either party. Ironically 65% of all Y-4-SCT Scoutships were made by everyone BUT Incom or Kuat Drive Yards as the basic design lent itself to being produced using locally sourced componants....... still Incom made a considerable amount of credits supplying componants for the vessels made by other, independant, manufacturers...... Incom Would later redesign the Y-4 (enough to be consided a new design, while still sharing the same basic spaceframe and engines though lacking the ease of repair and modification of the previous incarnation) into a military troop transport know as the Y-4-MTT for the Old Republic during the Clone Wars, able to carry 40 Clonetroopers plus smaller walker, ground, and repulsorlift vehicles into battle.

The Y-4-SCT was designed to fill the booming market for scouting vessels of that era, and is a sturdy, easily repaired and modified vessel type (+5 to Repair and Modifiction rolls) designed with extreme modularity and easy access to it's systems for any kinds of repairs in even remote, backward locations in the galaxy, with space for a large cargo and a vehicle complement for surveying far afield on newly discovered planets. The vessels also were equipped with large, spacious cabins for the crew and passengers (Neccessary for a vehicle designed to be deployed for the periods this ship was suposed be), a top of the line Anomid-Designed auto-chef system, a fairly sophisticated (but small capacity) med-bay, a full service, but compact machine shop/technical bay and a small laboratory for analysis. As an incentive to Scoutship purchasers to buy their vessels from Kuat Drive Yards, KDY provided a number of specially designed and/or commisioned in house manufactured droids and vehicles in the package with the ship to assist buyers in their scouting duy, as a result the KDY models were fairly popular. As well all Y-4-SCT Models (Different manufactures use different names for the ship) feature Solid fuel Converters (see Galaxy guide Tramp Freighters for these) as standard equipment. Additionally to being popular with scouts, the ships are very popular with Free Traders and smugglers due to their large cargo capacity and their ease of repair and modification..

Last edited by Falcon79 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:11 am; edited 12 times in total
hanker
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

I've never understood why a scout should have such a big cargo capacity (I think the SFS "Lone Scout" has, too). But maybe that's just me.

I don't know the original stats and the era the ship was built, but I always thought that scouts had to travel far using hyperspace. Considering this, a x1 hyperdrive would be a better (but perhaps illegal or very expensive) choice.

René
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at Cracken's:
Cost should be 250k for civilian version, and it should have no weapons.

Now to criticise... it seems a too powerful, IMHO. I mean, it has basically the same hull and shields as the Millenium Falcon, is only 2 Space slower, and has 3 times the cargo.

Just my 2 centicreds....
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanker wrote:
Hello!

I've never understood why a scout should have such a big cargo capacity (I think the SFS "Lone Scout" has, too). But maybe that's just me.

I don't know the original stats and the era the ship was built, but I always thought that scouts had to travel far using hyperspace. Considering this, a x1 hyperdrive would be a better (but perhaps illegal or very expensive) choice.

René

Hello to you to! Smile Most of the scout ships in Galaxy Guide: Scouts don't have particularly fast hyper drives either.

jmanski wrote:
Looking at Cracken's:
Cost should be 250k for civilian version, and it should have no weapons.

Now to criticise... it seems a too powerful, IMHO. I mean, it has basically the same hull and shields as the Millenium Falcon, is only 2 Space slower, and has 3 times the cargo.

Just my 2 centicreds....

Thanks for the assistance. In my star wars game the Y-4 Scout Model predates the Clone Wars and the Y-4 Military Transport Model (in My game the military troop transport version is a result of Incom altering the design for the switch to military production for the clone wars war effort) by 20 years. The scout model was designed to cary a larger group, then the Lone Scout-A Scoutship and have a extensive vehicle compliment for planetary suveys as well as room for lots of mineral/biological samples to be taken from surveyed worlds. Additionaly as well as being popular with Old Republic, Corporate and Independant scouts, was also popular with Free traders and smugglers due to it's large cargo holds.

I downrated some stuff, decreasing shields and sensors and increasing cost, but it's supposed to be tough and and fairly fast in real space for a transport. I Know The civilian versions of the Y-4 Military Transport should be unarmed, but this is an exploration vessel and I felt it should be armed against any nasties it may encounter in Wild Space or the Unknown Regions.

Should I downgrade some more stuff on it? What should I down grade some more? Neutral I'll get to work on that.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happier with the downgrade. I still don't like the high maneuverability- 5d+2 hull and 300 ton cargo shouldn't turn that quick.

Better. I can breathe better now..... Very Happy
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I'm happier with the downgrade. I still don't like the high maneuverability- 5d+2 hull and 300 ton cargo shouldn't turn that quick.

Better. I can breathe better now..... Very Happy
LOL.... I know but but the ship I based this on could and they are based on the same spaceframe with the same engines, so I decided to keep that the same.
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me, especially when compared to the Raptor Transport...

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doomhead wrote:
Looks good to me, especially when compared to the Raptor Transport...

Thanks Doom! Smile
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Falcon... I might even borrow it for a current campaign I'm planning!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doomhead wrote:
No problem Falcon... I might even borrow it for a current campaign I'm planning!

Cool, feel free to! Very Happy Are you gonna run that campain on the Rancor Pit Forums? Will it be a scout campain? Smile
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hopefully going to run it with some guys at work and I haven't decided what type of campaign its going to be. I have some ideas, but nothing definite.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: