The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsaber abilities
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Lightsaber abilities Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I meant regular in context of heroes. Starting characters are not "regular" in the galaxy, they're already far more powerful than regular people. In the context of the discussion, "regular" meant non-Force users.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Amra
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I appreciate all the feedback. This is something I'm still tossing around and have yet to implement. As for the Feats... No beginning character is going to be able to pull them off. It takes 10 VD-H base numbers for success then down to a high D to low VD base number. That's going to take a while to build up to, at least, in a reasonable campaign where you get reasonable CPs, not treasure troves.

The idea is that after you hit 7 or 8D in your primary skills, you're pretty much going to do what you're trying to do, unless it's some off the wall stuff. Jedi can still work on Force powers, but their non-Jedi companions can do little else but boost Attribute dice or skill dice.

This new mechanic isn't to buff new players, it's to give veteran players something to work toward and on with their character.

The young Jedi that plays in my campaign has tried the Lightsaber throw Feat and hasn't even come close to the Heroic roll for it. He has 1D in Alter and 5D in Lightsaber throw. Trust me, this is not a game breaking device for new players.

The Ex-Senate Guard that I play has 7D in vibrosword and he can only hit the Heroic roll to deflect blasers by burning CPs. If Kir Kanos can do it... lol.

It's not as bad a device as one might think.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amra wrote:
It's not as bad a device as one might think.

It's a functional rule set (I'm a Marvel Superheroes player myself)... I'm just of the opinion that it's not setting appropriate.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Amra
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the alternative is to merely have a player increase the base skill or attribute of whatever it is they're trying to do. I'm defintely not a fan of "if it's not in a sourcebook, you can't do it." I like to reward creativity and investment into character - not saying that others opposed to this idea do not.

And I also like to look for opportunities to add little personalizations and flourishes to the characters. "Look at what my guy can do/What can your guy do" is one of the largest draws of RPGing for me.

I believe I'm going to implement this system as a trial, but there won't be any immediate results to report as this is built on longterm investment, rather than short term payoff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: