The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Anyone interested in a new campaign?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> PbP Overview -> Anyone interested in a new campaign? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting proposal.

I am assuming that with this rule we would not have access to each-others skills?

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a sourcebook for two headed species, so I'm going by what makes sense to me. So separate heads could have different knowledges, mechanical ability, and technical aptitude, but they share one body for things like dodging (single dodge, both get the MAP). If it was one player for both heads, I'd probably rule differently to prevent munchkinism

You wouldn't have access to each other's skills, except when both are working on something as a combined action.

I know you've gm'd a troig before, so if there were other ways to balance the two-heads one-body dynamic, I'd love to hear it.

Are you two going to discuss your actions, or will one head be more dominant for controlling the main body?
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth has some stats in his Alien Species pdf (in the Fan Made Sourcebooks thread in the Tools section). As he has them written, the heads are virtually independent, but not completely so. They can communicate with one another with a limited form of telepathy, which breaks their independence.

I have a player playing one of these in a game I'm running on my messageboard, and have had to make a few judgement calls with a couple of their special abilities; such as not allowing a Full Dodge and a second action in a round. I'm not sure that, as a GM, I would allow separate Attribbute allocations... though I can see the argument for it, particularly for Knowledge and Perception. Obviously Strength and Dex would be shared. Skill sets are a little less clear cut as well... but I'm not sure that 10D EACH is appropriate. I probably won't allocate all 10D.

I'll post the stats here.

Troig
Home Planet: Pollillus
Attribute Dice: 12D
DEXTERITY 1D/3D+2
KNOWLEDGE 1D+1/4D
MECHANICAL 1D+1/4D
PERCEPTION 2D+1/5D
STRENGTH 1D/3D+2
TECHNICAL 1D/3D+2
Special Abilities:
Ambidexterity: Troigs are naturally ambidextrous, and suffer no off-hand penalties.

Hard to Surprise: Because a Troig’s heads are constantly looking out for one another, they are difficult to surprise. As such, they gain a +1D bonus to all search skill checks to detect ambushes.

Multitasking: Due to the fact that their two heads share two arms, Troigs can do two things at once and suffer no penalties. Each head performs separate actions in combat, as well. The two heads can combine actions, as well (refer to the rules for combined actions, SWD6, pages 82-83).

Two Heads: All Troigs have at least two heads, and each head houses a separate mind and personality. The two heads share a limited form of telepathy, and they can understand one another perfectly even if one is speaking a language the other does not know.
Move: 10/12
Size: 1.9-2 meters

Donate to Ankhanu Press
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[edited out due to ankhanu beating me to the punch by a few seconds..]

And we are going to discuss our actions, but since we both chat with each other on IM that wont take place on the forum itself.

I have not GMd a Troig but Ankhanu has. I will let him comment on the balance of it as a GM, but my GM senses are tingling letting us both have full attribute/skill dice dice.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php

Last edited by vong on Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delkarnu wrote:
Are you two going to discuss your actions, or will one head be more dominant for controlling the main body?

Um, the dominance of a given head will probably shift throughout gameplay from situation to situation. But yeah, we'll be discussing our actions via IRC before posting. Given our contact time on IRC, I don't see it extending the time between posts at all for us.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will start a thread on the house rules forum for this since it seems like an interesting discussion
obidancer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about I play a Kiffar Guardian, that has to go undercover to track down a smuggling network, or some sort of underworld related trafficking, or simply investigate on the matter?
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good, though you just gave everyone player knowledge that you might be spying against them Wink

Kiffar are not in any of my sourcebooks, so use Gry's:

Kiffar
Home Planet: Kiffu and Kiffex
Attribute Dice: 12D
DEXTERITY 2D/4D
KNOWLEDGE 1D+2/4D
MECHANICAL 1D+2/3D+2
PERCEPTION 2D/4D+2
STRENGTH 2D+1/4D+1
TECHNICAL 1D+1/3D+1
Special Abilities:
Psychometry: Force-sensitive Kiffar characters start with the Postcognition power for free, even if they have no dice in Sense and lack the pre-requisite powers. They get a +1D bonus to Sense to use this power.
Move: 10/12
Size: 1.6-1.9 meters
obidancer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone interested in a new campaign? Reply with quote

Delkarnu wrote:

10cp to start (can use to raise skills only after first CPs issued)
can also know 1 skill at attr level per 2d in attr.
other untrained skills will be more difficult or not useable

I'm not sure I understand it all: can some of those 10cp can be placed into skill at character creation? or is it to start the game with, then use them has fitted later?

Do you not use the templates? (skills listed on templates are trained skills, even if at attribute level, rest is untrained)
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used templates, and the 10cp can't be used for skills until after the first in game cp awards, just for adding to die rolls for now
obidancer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. any guidelines for starting equipment?
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on your final character build, once you design your character, just send me what equipment you want, as long as it is reasonable and fits the character, it shouldn't be a problem. Background and skills should fit with requested items.

2,000 credits to each player, and I'll handle the starship.
Herglic_w/o_a_head
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have enough room for another player, becuase I am interested.
I have not done pbp gaming before but I do play d6 star wars almost every week in a group and I am just wondering if pbp is just like that rule wise just that you post your response to what your character is doing??
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always room for another player. Check the house rules thread (This will be my first pbp, so I'm still building some custom rules for the game) in that forum for changes to the rules, but most of the rules are the same, post or pm your character's actions, then the gm rolls the dice and posts the results and any npc actions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> PbP Overview All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: