The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Two Heads, Two Players
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Two Heads, Two Players Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the issue that *I* have is that I'm looking at the situation differently. I'm thinking of the Triog as a single character. As such, I'm looking at character creation as though it were being played by a single player, and the two player control idea is an oddity. Basically, the rules for playing with two players should be the same as playing the character with a single player... and I hesitate to give a single player both additional skill dice AND 2 actions before incurring a MAP.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not quite sure it's two actions before incurring a MAP each player gets one action, that's fine. After that they start getting MAPs in fact if one head tries to have five actions then the other head gets stung too... doesn't he?

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point isn't that each player gets 1 action before MAPs begin, it's that the character gets 2 actions before MAPs begin. I don't really see why character creation/gameplay rules should differ whether the character is played by one or more than one player.

Again, the perspective I've been approaching this discussion is from that of the character, not players. Given how the species entry is written, and how we've been running this species in the game I'm GMing, there is nothing suggesting that a Triog [/i]character[/i] should have any more Attribute or Skill allocation options than a Human character (other than the regular differences for Attribute Min/Max ranges that would apply for any alien deviating from the 2D/4D min/max pattern). Whether this one character is operated by one or two real people is kinda immaterial from my perspective.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
obidancer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu, in your game does each head has a different set of skills or do they actually the same stats, as per one unique character?
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the difference is if you look at it as two players or one character, I look at it as two players.

Lets say the two players want to play separate chars. One a con man, the other a tech. One takes 4D Perception, lowering another skill to 2D while the other raises Tech to 4D and lowers another to 2D. If they share a body, and all their attributes have to match, to get 4D per and 4D tech, two other attr would have to be lowered, giving both players a bigger weakness.

Also, any damage would weaken or knock out both players, which I think also reduces any advantage the two players would have.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree 100% with Delkarnu. I think they should only share those attributes and skills that would be obligatory, like Strength and Running. Otherwise, treat it as two characters trapped in one body.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obidancer wrote:
Ankhanu, in your game does each head has a different set of skills or do they actually the same stats, as per one unique character?

Same skill set. It's up to the player to roleplay that one head or the other is the one to possess a particular skill.

Delkarnu wrote:
Looks like the difference is if you look at it as two players or one character, I look at it as two players.

Lets say the two players want to play separate chars. One a con man, the other a tech. One takes 4D Perception, lowering another skill to 2D while the other raises Tech to 4D and lowers another to 2D. If they share a body, and all their attributes have to match, to get 4D per and 4D tech, two other attr would have to be lowered, giving both players a bigger weakness.

Also, any damage would weaken or knock out both players, which I think also reduces any advantage the two players would have.

So, if Vong wanted to play the Triog alone, would you still use the same ruling?

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe a Troig character should be "overpowered" if you compare it to a normal character. Two heads are better than one, that's what they always say, isn't it? But game-wise I think it must be regarded as two characters trapped inside a single body, which presents many tactical disadvantages.

There is precedent for species with two different sets of stats for the same character, like the "hulking" Dazouri or the schizophrenic Thakwaash.
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think having all attr and force powers the same, and 7D of skills matching, and giving 3D to each head. Each head can use the other's skills at base attribute level (since I am using the optional penalty for untrained skills). I think this gets balanced by the limitations of both being in the same body.

If it was just Vong, I'd probably not allow the Troig, since I haven't played with him before(although, since he is arguing for less power,I dont think powergaming is an issue). In the groups I have played with, I'd let them play a troig under the same rules, since I know their RPing ability.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
I believe a Troig character should be "overpowered" if you compare it to a normal character. Two heads are better than one, that's what they always say, isn't it? But game-wise I think it must be regarded as two characters trapped inside a single body, which presents many tactical disadvantages.

There is precedent for species with two different sets of stats for the same character, like the "hulking" Dazouri or the schizophrenic Thakwaash.

Dazouri completely physically change though, altering *only* their Attributes and losing access to many of their skills completely when in the rage form. The skill adds are the same in both forms, which can alter the basic level of the skills as the Attribute shifts, and as mentioned, completely loosing all non-physical combat oriented skills when in rage.

Thakwaash do gain two skill sets, but to access a secondary skill incurs a penalty against all other skill uses.

Triog present nothing but win for a player if treated as two characters in a single body, rather than two aspects of a single character. They get two complete skill sets to draw upon (requiring mild synergy), 2 actions before MAPs begin, the ability to use coordinated efforts alone, telepathic, silent communication, +1D to avoid being surprised, and free ambidexterity. Additionally, they suffer no drawbacks that they wouldn't encounter playing a normal character.
I think if those were the character rules for playing them, I would, as a GM, put them into the same category as Duinuogwuin and Noghri; not intended for Player use.

EDIT: I started this post hours ago and just finished it, and this post was made in the interim:
Delkarnu wrote:
I think having all attr and force powers the same, and 7D of skills matching, and giving 3D to each head. Each head can use the other's skills at base attribute level (since I am using the optional penalty for untrained skills). I think this gets balanced by the limitations of both being in the same body.

If it was just Vong, I'd probably not allow the Troig, since I haven't played with him before(although, since he is arguing for less power,I dont think powergaming is an issue). In the groups I have played with, I'd let them play a troig under the same rules, since I know their RPing ability.

From a GM's perspective, this is probably the sort of ruling I would run with myself.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
obidancer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my understanding that Delkarnu found the proper medium between Gry's and Ankhanu's perspectives:

By forcing the two players to actually have matching attributes is pretty much like having just one character anyway, right?
Then we're talking about a mere 3D to differenciate the uniqueness of each head in personnality and learning. I don't feel it's overpowering the character.
As a possible co-player I'd be totally fine with that, as the small bonus would only add to the depth of the character more than make it better.

Plus some species are just more powerful than others. tough. It's more a matter of how they are roleplayed. Both Vong and Ankhanu are experienced roleplayers (I'm playing in a campaign with them...), I'm sure they can handle the extra potential power without unbalancing teh other players or the game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: