The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

House Rules and Skills for Online Character Generator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> House Rules and Skills for Online Character Generator
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apocalypse910
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: House Rules and Skills for Online Character Generator Reply with quote

Hi-
I'm working on a online character generator / character management program. It is nearing completion and I was hoping to get a bit of outside input before I finalize the design.

I was wondering what house rules people are using for character creation. I'd like to make the program as flexible as possible so input from anyone using variations on the standard rules would be very helpful.

Thank you very much for your help. I'm sorry for the somewhat vague question- I'd just like to get a general idea of what's out there. I will obviously be making changes and fixes after the program goes live- but if there is anything major the needs to be done I'd like to do it before people start to add characters to the database.

Thanks Again - I really appreciate your input!
(edit for brevity)
FightingCorsair
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to move Martial Arts into the DEX category depending on the style of fighting the player wants to emulate.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, mostly with character creation and such, my house rules don't come into play. It's mostly on ho I do initiative and things of that sort where I start speeding things up with homebrew rules.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
FightingCorsair
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the online feature. Being on a Mac means there isn't much out there to help me with things like this in any game system.
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, we have a tendency to combine brawling and brawling parry, melee parry and melee. our other rules don't come into play until the game.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to split climb and jump, as well.
apocalypse910
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the help! The program should be able to accommodate all of the rule variations posted so far.

I'm putting the finishing touches on so I should have something live to show within the week. Currently I'm tweaking the print version of the character sheets and patching up some minor security holes (the downside of doing this as a web app).

Quote:
I like the online feature. Being on a Mac means there isn't much out there to help me with things like this in any game system.

I'm glad to hear that a web interface will be helpful. Smile
I really wanted to make sure that it was usable to as many people as possible. I also selfishly want to be able to retreive my character sheet online when I'm an idiot and forget to bring it with me to gaming.

I was about 75% of the way through with this project when I saw Vong's very awesome character creator. I hope the focus of this is different enough that I'm not reinventing the wheel.

Thanks again for the input- I'll post a link to the beta in a few days.
apocalypse910
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grr - Beta version is uploaded but the actual character page is crashing due to what appears to be a configuration error on the side of the hosting company. I swear this isn't vaporware, really it isn't!

ScreenShot
Warning- Large Image
apocalypse910
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beta is up

I made a thread in the tools forum to discuss..
http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2376

The tool currently allows you to enter your skills as you see fit and just auto suggests based on the 'default' list. I may replace or double up on skills that are in contention based on feedback - I'm still trying to figure out the least confusing way to implement it.

Thanks again for your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: