The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Indexed NPCs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Indexed NPCs.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sif
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Indexed NPCs. Reply with quote

Being new to the 6d world, but a long time GM for various other systems, I began quickly on preparing material for our first Star Wars adventures. Here are some of the things I made sure were ready for our first game.

1) NPCs. Seeing as the group all agreed on wanting to play Fringe Bounty Hunter types (big shock) I sat down and created a good 30 NPCs and put them on index cards (with picture on one side, stats and belongings on the other side). After completing that task I had a good idea on some of the more active fringe types floating around the galaxy. I named them, gave them gear and ships (as I saw fit) and made little notes such as “this on is wanted by so-n-so for 50,000 in spice stolen” or “this one is a cold blooded bounty hunter who hates competition”. The collection has helped greatly in the three games we have played thus far.

2)A list of fringe-type bars, hangouts, establishments and contact locations that they may wish to visit. Each place has a listing of who runs it, what type of security can be expected (or unexpected) and the atmosphere of the place. I also have a side sheet for each place with a list of NPCs (the index card ones) who may be there at any given time. When they arrive, I roll for any NPCs present and if it says there are three NPCs there, I may sure they are around for one reason or another (delivery, bounty, seeking information or just hanging out).

3)I also have made a few notes on certain NPCs that may effect the party of players if they meet by chance.

“Your ship, that you are in dept to a crime boss over, was once owned by this Rodian and he wants it back. He travels with six others and is cocky when outnumbering his enemies”

Or

“This bounty Hunter is known across the galaxy as the “heartless one who swoops down from dark skys”. If anyone here has recently collected a bounty worth more then 5000, then he is angered that you beat him to it.

Or

“This guy is wanted by a few people in the Outer Rim and he is a tad paranoid since his bounty has reached over 5000. So he has purchased some protection in the form of the five Gamorians sitting at the other table. They do not appear to be with him, but they are watching out for him for a large sum of cash.

This way of setting up random encounters allows for things I didn’t see coming “Heh, who knew you guys and the Rodian Mafia would end up trying to kill each other on this big ball of sand?”

At times these sorts of “side encounters” become the forefront of a single adventure (or the better half of one) and having this collection of Fringe NPCs gives me a good idea of who is out there in my galaxy.

It also helps me keep things on the move. If something slows down the plot, or starts to drag, I can just reach into my little index box and pick a guy out of there to spice things up for the moment.

Its also cool to hold up a new index card with a picture of some new smuggler and say "this guy walks in".

I dunno, thought I’d share.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, you seem to be doing your homework very well, buddy.

Oh, if only I had the time to devote to the NPCs book I have in the works, I bet you could put it to good use.
Sif
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to get my hands on that NPC book your sitting on. Lets hope life allows you the free time to finish it in the "not too far future".

I'd love to finish a fully colored, fully detailed collection of cards in pdf format containing each race, NPC, ship etc. that could sit next to me during play. The cards would be pretty lil things with everything needed to just throw it into play quickly.

Maybe one day I'll create just that!

Who knows? Not me, not you, not all the GMs in the world. But I do think d6 cards for ships, gear, aliens and NPCs would rule if they were production quality and printed on nice card stock.
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the things i've done before a game is to write up a number of combat strategies and conversation reactions for general personality types and some specific npc's. i find that this helps the flow of encounters.
Sif
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one of my NPCs created and indexed for my game. The Vashmeres are of my creation and all seem to have a thick sweedish accent (sveedish, ya?). The pic I hand-drew up quick and colored in photoshop.

Lord Dafayo: is the head Noble of the wealthy family “Vashmere”. His con skill and abilities in trade have earned his family plenty of luxuries; including an estate completely run by expensive droids, a personal security force of over 30 human guards and 10 modified K4 droids and a parlor/club (The Vash’ma Hall) where he entertains many shiftless patrons looking to dabble in good times.

His connections in the business world are not all legitimate or legal, and his tolerance for those who snoop into such matters is very low. Putting your nose in his business is a quick way to find yourself on the illegal bounty list of the underworld.

The Vashmerian family has its fingers in a lot of pies; from smuggling, to slave trade, to illegal weapons trade. Those known to be familiar with such circles may find themselves welcomed at the Hall (if their reputation floats them enough).

Personality: A coward in battle, Dafayo would rather watch his enemies die from a safe distance. Hiring brutes to do his dirty work is far easier then doing it himself. He is also a advocate of gluttonies and indulgences that some may find to be unmentionable.

Stats/Skills

DEX: 2d
Blaster 3d

KNOWLEDGE: 4d
Planet Systems 5d
Aliens 5d
Value 6d
Street 5d

MECH: 2d

PERCEP: 4d
Bargain 5d
Con 6d
Persuasion 5d

STRENGTH: 2d

TECH:2d

Business connections: The Vashmeres have ties to the Hutts and seem to have earned the blind eye of Empire for some uknown reason. The Vashmeres have also been involved with many crime circles across the galaxy in the past decades.

Notes: Anyone making disturbances in underworld trade of illegal drugs or weapons may be earning Dafayo’s anger unknowingly.

For fun, here is a picture of Dafayo's nephew who serves as his head of guard in his modified "Death Dog" armor invented just for him.

cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you've got something far more elaborate than what I've got. I've got a dozen or so index cards put into my 3 ring binder. If I need an NPC on the spot, I usually grab something out of that assortment.
Sif
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the same thing I got here.

Never underestimate the power of a good bucket of random NPCs.
FightingCorsair
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an awesome idea. I don't know why I've never thought of doing it myself. Maybe laziness.

One of the things I enjoy most about gaming is the character creation. I think I've been inspired to go home and start creating.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with ya. A little nudge from the force goes a long way, eh?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: