The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Clone Wars Cartoons...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Clone Wars Cartoons... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Clone Wars Cartoons... Reply with quote

All right folks, what do you think? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

I'm soon going to be running a group at the Start of the Clone Wars, and do like the fleshing out of the war. (Although, I do miss Samurai Jack.). And more gear and info is always good in my book. ("Free Republic Hypercomm, the voice and music of the Republic Armed Forces!").

But with no official WEG stuff... Crying or Very sad
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit it: I like the cartoon overall. I'm happy to get a new 30-minute Star Wars fix every week.

On the downside, the character designs are a little jarring, visually.

I really like the stories. And I think the opening "newsreel" instead of the crawl is a good device for television.

I'm still a little weirded out about the clones as the good guys. And having them develop their own separate personalities and styles is also making it hard for me to picture them as Palpatine's faceless Jedi-murdering pawns.

Bottom line: Good.

"Esjs" == "Jess"
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Clone Wars Cartoons... Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
But with no official WEG stuff... Crying or Very sad

Oh, c'mon. We're playing a system defunct for 10 years, since when has lack of official info stopped us?

First of all, anything Wizards releases, we'll convert. Their Clone Wars Campaign Guide is just around the corner. And anything they don't release, we'll do ourselves.

I like the show very much. From 2009 it has aggravated me a bit with glaring plotholes and lazy storytelling, but I'm confident they'll bounce back.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that gets me about converting that book is that people are going to want NPC conversions. Grievous is going to be an opponent, they'll want clones, etc.

I mean... we can do that... I just hate the thought of all that time converting a couple of NPCs. *bleh*

But seriously, with the conversion guides that we're doing, I don't see what it's implausible to do a Clone Wars campaign. Let's not forget that someone has already put a LOT of work into a Clone Wars Sourcebook for D6. It's not as good as anything Gry does, but it would at least be a start.

If you want the book, check out the link in my tagline, be smart, and follow the links. If you can't find it, post and I'll give you the direct link.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the work that's been done for the Ep2 and Ep3 sourcebooks, we already have lots of Clone Wars material, most of it really. To cover everything seen in the show is just a matter of filling in some blanks and doing variations on stats.
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Clone Wars Cartoons... Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
From 2009 it has aggravated me a bit with glaring plotholes and lazy storytelling, but I'm confident they'll bounce back.

Really? Are my standards just low? What plotholes are you talking about?
I'm not saying they aren't there, because it's more likely that I just missed them.

"Esjs" == "Jess"
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Clone Wars Cartoons... Reply with quote

Esjs wrote:
Gry Sarth wrote:
From 2009 it has aggravated me a bit with glaring plotholes and lazy storytelling, but I'm confident they'll bounce back.

I'm not saying they aren't there, because it's more likely that I just missed them.

And are they big enough to fly a SSD through? Because I missed 'em as well.

The lazy storytelling, well... It's TV, what else did you expect?
Yak Face
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say I enjoy them, though I do hate that Jar Jar keeps showing up. Worst SW character ever. When I'm able to look past that bozo I'm pretty well entertained.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Clone Wars Cartoons... Reply with quote

Esjs wrote:

DOOKU CAPTURED
- Anakin's capture serves no purpose to the story and makes no sense, it doesn't help them get to Dooku in any way.
- The webcomic shows Anakin with a saber at the time of capture, yet the episode clearly state he was captured unarmed.
- Obi-Wan simply floats towards Dooku's ship, enters it by pressing a button, finds Anakin and strolls up to Dooku's room with no resistance.
- How did the Kowakian Lizard-Monkey manage to lift not just one, but two sabers right out of Dooku's belt without him noticing it? Dooku was even conscious about keeping the sabers a secret.

GUNGAN GENERAL
- Previous episode shows the Jedi evading the drugged drink, yet this one starts with them waking up in a cell, stating that they were drugged by their drinks.
- The webcomic shows them getting drugged through the air, which not only is inconsistent with the episode, but is contradictory to Ep1, where Obi and Qui-Gon can simply hold their breath and avoid poisoned air. Plus, Anakin and Obi had already evaded three attacks by the pirates, yet they stick around to fall for the poisoned air.
- The pirates had Dooku securely held in the "energy field cuffs", yet when they capture two more Jedi, which should present even greater risk, they decide to put them all together in a normal cell with just cuffs and a cord tying them together.
- After they escape twice, instead of raising security, the Pirates only decide to quit using the cord tying them together and just keep them in cuffs.
- How can a Naboo Senate Representative actually hold rank in the Army to supercede a Clone Commander? What does a junior senator knows of leading troops?
- How do those fat rhinos manage to overtake the pirates' speeder bikes? Even if they were slower due to the spice, they still had plenty of lead time.
- Whan the pirate captures Jar Jar, he doesn't point a blaster at him, he doesn't tie him, he doesn't do anything, he just asks him to hop on unsupervised.
- And finally, my favourite one. Obi-Wan suddenly produces his lightsaber out of thin air! A saber that wasn't even on that planet, since both him and Anakin went on this mission unarmed.

You really hadn't noticed any of these? And I'm only listing those that completely baffle me, not the ones I can come up with some lame excuse for, like why Dooku has to use a knife to open the cell door, but afterwards he simply opens it with the Force. Right now I just want to put these last couple of episodes behind me, and hope the series can regain its past quality. Jedi Crash looks like an awesome episode, PLEASE don't disappoint me again...
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Clone Wars Cartoons... Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:

GUNGAN GENERAL
- Previous episode shows the Jedi evading the drugged drink, yet this one starts with them waking up in a cell, stating that they were drugged by their drinks.

i caught the others but i thought the scene had them switching their drinks with the people sitting next to them. then EVERYONE in the bar falling unconscious hinting that they drugged all of the drinks. the reason that you didn't see the jedi go down was that they were effected last and the scene cut before they fell. that was just my interpretation, i may be wrong. or maybe i didn't pay much attention.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the last scene does show a couple other Weequay on the ground or a bit wobbly, but so did several other previous scenes in the banquet. Some guys were drinking themselves silly, it's part of the scenery. But the last scene shows the majority of the pirates happily having their drinks, walking around and dancing.
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the GLARING plot holes and everything else thats just irritating, I got to say that I really like the show... My six year old son also loves them... its about time, I've been trying to convert him to the dark-side since he was born. He can't wait until Fridays to see a new episode!

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Clone Wars Cartoons... Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Esjs wrote:

DOOKU CAPTURED
- Anakin's capture serves no purpose to the story and makes no sense, it doesn't help them get to Dooku in any way.
- The webcomic shows Anakin with a saber at the time of capture, yet the episode clearly state he was captured unarmed.
- Obi-Wan simply floats towards Dooku's ship, enters it by pressing a button, finds Anakin and strolls up to Dooku's room with no resistance.
- How did the Kowakian Lizard-Monkey manage to lift not just one, but two sabers right out of Dooku's belt without him noticing it? Dooku was even conscious about keeping the sabers a secret.

GUNGAN GENERAL
- The webcomic shows them getting drugged through the air, which not only is inconsistent with the episode, but is contradictory to Ep1, where Obi and Qui-Gon can simply hold their breath and avoid poisoned air. Plus, Anakin and Obi had already evaded three attacks by the pirates, yet they stick around to fall for the poisoned air.
- The pirates had Dooku securely held in the "energy field cuffs", yet when they capture two more Jedi, which should present even greater risk, they decide to put them all together in a normal cell with just cuffs and a cord tying them together.
- After they escape twice, instead of raising security, the Pirates only decide to quit using the cord tying them together and just keep them in cuffs.
- How can a Naboo Senate Representative actually hold rank in the Army to supercede a Clone Commander? What does a junior senator knows of leading troops?
- How do those fat rhinos manage to overtake the pirates' speeder bikes? Even if they were slower due to the spice, they still had plenty of lead time.
- Whan the pirate captures Jar Jar, he doesn't point a blaster at him, he doesn't tie him, he doesn't do anything, he just asks him to hop on unsupervised.
- And finally, my favourite one. Obi-Wan suddenly produces his lightsaber out of thin air! A saber that wasn't even on that planet, since both him and Anakin went on this mission unarmed.

You really hadn't noticed any of these? And I'm only listing those that completely baffle me, not the ones I can come up with some lame excuse for, like why Dooku has to use a knife to open the cell door, but afterwards he simply opens it with the Force. Right now I just want to put these last couple of episodes behind me, and hope the series can regain its past quality. Jedi Crash looks like an awesome episode, PLEASE don't disappoint me again...

Ok... I think it's safe to say that my standards must be pretty low... but that's not surprising. I tend to like a lot of so-called "bad" movies as well.

I can't speak to the webcomic inconsistencies because I don't read the webcomic (didn't even know about it). However, isn't that like complaining about the differences between a book and its movie adaptation?

I'll give you the whole "drugging" discontinuity between episodes. When I watched that episode ("Gungan General"), I guess I just rationalized it away as a Weequay immunity a la Dread Pirate Roberts. I know it doesn't make sense, looking back on it... but that's kinda the way I watch these things: I suspend a lot of disbelief. I enjoy TV and movies the way they are meant to be enjoyed: with my brain off Wink

"Esjs" == "Jess"
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Clone Wars Cartoons... Reply with quote

Esjs wrote:
I can't speak to the webcomic inconsistencies because I don't read the webcomic (didn't even know about it). However, isn't that like complaining about the differences between a book and its movie adaptation?

Not really, the official website presents the webcomic as an integral part of the episode, an introduction to it, usually made by some of the same people who are workingo on the show.

Esjs wrote:
I enjoy TV and movies the way they are meant to be enjoyed: with my brain off Wink

I try to avoid turning my brain off unless I absolutely have to. The darn thing is so unreliable that often times it takes weeks to get back up to speed again after a shut down.
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Clone Wars Cartoons... Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:

I try to avoid turning my brain off unless I absolutely have to. The darn thing is so unreliable that often times it takes weeks to get back up to speed again after a shut down.

Sounds like my car...
"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: