The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New GM starting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> New GM starting Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, wookiepedia is a fantastic resource for building campaigns. A lot of the dark jedi that Pal had under his command were jedi that survived the execution order but were later captured and turned. You almost can't have a jedi in a campaign without an Inquisitor showing up.
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, the idea of Darth Vader having a secret apprentice isn't that far fetched to me. I mean, every sith is in it for themselves, the apprentices look at their masters as tools for powers, and the masters look at the apprentice's as tool to carry on the their legacy and teachings. Eventually, Vader would have killed Palpatine and taken his own apprentice, but instead of killing Palpatine first he took Starkiller as his apprentice when he saw the chance, he wasn't just going to let a force-sensitive strong in the force get away because he hadn't killed his master yet. That would just be stupid Wink
"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthMortis wrote:
I don't know, the idea of Darth Vader having a secret apprentice isn't that far fetched to me. I mean, every sith is in it for themselves, the apprentices look at their masters as tools for powers, and the masters look at the apprentice's as tool to carry on the their legacy and teachings. Eventually, Vader would have killed Palpatine and taken his own apprentice, but instead of killing Palpatine first he took Starkiller as his apprentice when he saw the chance, he wasn't just going to let a force-sensitive strong in the force get away because he hadn't killed his master yet. That would just be stupid Wink

Vader, I believe, is a bit of a different case. While, yeah, he would have eventually killed Palpy (or tried), but he was of a different sort of perspective. He served, and he served loyally and willingly. He sought power, but he sought it to help others. While he learned to be cruel he never truly let go of his morals; which held him back as a Sith.

It's pretty plain to see that in action in Return of the Jedi during the battle with Luke and killing the Emperor. The degree to which he was torn by the prospects of killing his son and killing his master, his hesitation, his uncertainty... These traits are not traits of a Sith. Palpatine sought him for his potential and his usefulness as a tool... but in doing so he effectively bent Vader to his will, and he jumped into loyalty full bore. Vader is a straightforward character, duplicity is not in his nature (which makes him a poor Sith); this makes the whole secret apprentice thing somewhat unbelievable.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
DarthMortis wrote:

Vader, I believe, is a bit of a different case. While, yeah, he would have eventually killed Palpy (or tried), but he was of a different sort of perspective. He served, and he served loyally and willingly. He sought power, but he sought it to help others. While he learned to be cruel he never truly let go of his morals; which held him back as a Sith.

It's pretty plain to see that in action in Return of the Jedi during the battle with Luke and killing the Emperor. The degree to which he was torn by the prospects of killing his son and killing his master, his hesitation, his uncertainty... These traits are not traits of a Sith. Palpatine sought him for his potential and his usefulness as a tool... but in doing so he effectively bent Vader to his will, and he jumped into loyalty full bore. Vader is a straightforward character, duplicity is not in his nature (which makes him a poor Sith); this makes the whole secret apprentice thing somewhat unbelievable.

Vader did later learn that was he was tricked by Palpatine and he hated him for it but it was too late (he thought) to turn back onto the path of the lightside...so what was he going to do? Kill himself? Naw...instead, if he sought power to "help others", perhaps that is what he was going to teach his apprentice as well.
"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: