The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Wild Die
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Wild Die Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats some good stuff. I too think 1 in 6 is a little too often. I might try 1 in 36- just often enough to keep the anxiety level elevated.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have missed something earlier where there was a 1:6 possibility of complication. We've always played a 1 followed by a 6 was a complication. A 1 normally just reduces your total, increasing the chance of failure, but not something spectacular Razz

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rule book pretty much says roll a 1 GM chooses the result, count normally, minus highest, or complication, so I think a lot of newer GMs use the complication or mishap too often.

The first games I played in, we pretty much had a mishap on every wild 1 for actions, minus highest for damage, almost killed the d6 system for me until I convinced the GM that it was unrealistic and he changed it.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We play it simple. A very low roll is a mishap and a very high roll is an extraordinary success. Rolling 1s and 6s in the Wild Die will affect how high or low your total is (by subtracting higher or rerolling) but in itself it will not automatically mean an extraordinary event; what you roll in the other dice is also very important.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Gry. Not always, but most of the time, when one rolls a 1 on the Wild Die, we simply subtract the highest die from the roll; it hurts, but doesn't necessarily spell disaster. When rolling a 6 on the Wild, we allow a reroll on that die, with another reroll if one rolls another 6, etc. We're playing HARP now, but when my group plays D6, we've never had a problem with it. Occasionally, we forgo that when the GM (me or the other guy I share Gm duties with) has something specific in mind as a "complication", but for the most part, the "drop highest on 1, reroll (open-ended) on 6" works for us.
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not particularly consistent when it comes to how I play a 1. I usually base it on the situation. Usually I opt for the "plot complication" route. That doesn't mean that the player's roll doesn't succeed, just that when they succeed at what they were doing, it might have had some unintended consequences.

Of course there are other times I'll do the "take out the highest and lowest" route, and other times I'll just say, "leave it in there and calculate normally." However, that's usually when there isn't a complication that seems dramatically appropriate.
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing that I consider is the relative challenge of the task, someone with a D or 2 in (A) Medicine, is lot less likely to get a complication on a moderate first aid roll than someone with only 3D first aid working on the higher end of their skill set for the same roll
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time i will definatly make the 1 on the wild die a complication, is if all the others are also a 1... That to me is a pinical moment of complication.
jmanski

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For clarification: when I said "complication", I meant a reduction in the roll. I think 1 in 6 is too often to even affect the roll. I may change to 1 in 36 (or two straight 1's) for a reduction (-1d) and 1 in 216 (3 straight 1's) for a complication (unless I'm feeling evil Twisted Evil of course)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that is lienient. I take it you also do the same for 6's??
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half the fun is dealing with (or coming up with) the complications Wink

And I say this as a man who rolls a lot of 1s followed by 6s.

The chaos that the wild die represents is such a delightfully (classic) Star Wars theme. There's always something going catastrophically wrong in the (original) movies... I've got a bad feeling about this... Likewise, they're full of unexpected spectacular successes (... don't get cocky!). Reducing the chances of these themes reduces the Star Warsiness of it all (imo, of course).

Long live the Wild Die and 1 in 36 chance of catastrophe (or just something to make things more interesting)! Viva la complication!

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most well known complication i have is if they do an astrogation jump with one, EVEN if they make the number, they fry the nav comp so have to get a full repair and reload......
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
The most well known complication i have is if they do an astrogation jump with one, EVEN if they make the number, they fry the nav comp so have to get a full repair and reload......

The last Jedi in my first did that on my Con Artists ship...oh man, was he pissed (I mean come on, I used that ship so much, I had a specialization in it that was like 8D+2 or 9D)
"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
adamlumina93
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think over my 13 years in playing this game I believe I have come up with a system that seems to please most players I have played with. For 6s on the wild die keep the same rules. For 1s I would propose the following: subtract the one and the highest other dice in the roll, not a catastrophe just a minor hiccup. Now if the majority of dice including the wild die are 1s then it is a major complication. To be honest at that I think its justified that their character just didn't put their best foot forward.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthMortis wrote:
garhkal wrote:

The last Jedi in my first did that on my Con Artists ship...oh man, was he pissed (I mean come on, I used that ship so much, I had a specialization in it that was like 8D+2 or 9D)

Yup. I cannot remember where i saw it, but i did see figures for replacing a full nav comp at 15% of a ships full cost (even if you bought it used).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: