The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starfighters as PC ships?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Starfighters as PC ships? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y-Wing Carrier... I love it! lol

These are all very good suggestions guys, keep 'em comin'!

Thanks
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Starfighters as PC ships? Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
My gaming group is asking about playing Star Wars d6, and I'm thinking about allowing the PCs to have a starfighter in addition to the traditional Stock Light Freighter.

Does anyone else have any experience doing something similar? My goal is to be able to allow for more diverse starship combat than "Light Freighter is making a break for the hyperspace jump point." I want to be able to have some true dogfights going on.

My initial thought is to go with a Stock Light Freighter and a Y-Wing with its proton torpedo launchers removed. (or maybe launchers intact, but all torpedos gone.)
Try giving your party a Citidel-Class civilian Cruiser (Made by the same folks as the Y-wing) it has 2 docking hard point (complete with pressurized universal airlocks) that allow it to carry two fighters with it into hyperspace.... It is almost perfect for your needs with a few mods.... you find the D6 stats for it in Gry's Starships PDF and the D20 and Saga Stats for it in Starship of the Galaxy, and Starships of the Galaxy (Saga Ed.) respectively.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that ship
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Starfighters as PC ships? Reply with quote

Falcon79 wrote:
Try giving your party a Citidel-Class civilian Cruiser (Made by the same folks as the Y-wing) it has 2 docking hard point (complete with pressurized universal airlocks) that allow it to carry two fighters with it into hyperspace.... It is almost perfect for your needs with a few mods.... you find the D6 stats for it in Gry's Starships PDF and the D20 and Saga Stats for it in Starship of the Galaxy, and Starships of the Galaxy (Saga Ed.) respectively.

Oh wow, I had seen that ship when I was looking through Gry's book for options, but I had assumed it was Capital scale. It's quite nice!

One question tho... it doesn't look like it's designed to go planetside with those big vertical stabilizers. Can anyone confirm/deny this? It would kinda limit its use if it can only dock at orbital or special facilities.
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Starfighters as PC ships? Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
Falcon79 wrote:

Oh wow, I had seen that ship when I was looking through Gry's book for options, but I had assumed it was Capital scale. It's quite nice!

One question tho... it doesn't look like it's designed to go planetside with those big vertical stabilizers. Can anyone confirm/deny this? It would kinda limit its use if it can only dock at orbital or special facilities.
Yes it can land the stabilizers rotate and fold up to allow it to do so.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lostboy wrote:
In one adventure we had two y-wings mag clamped to the outer hull, one top, one bottom. We had pilots in the cockpit at all times they worked in shifts and had to board with a vac suit but having them on alert zero all the time saved us on more than one occasion.

I found the Manta Starfighter which specifically mentions in the description that it has mag clamps to hop on the back of a larger ship for hyperspace trips.

(plus, it's a two-seater... pilot and gunner)
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
Lostboy wrote:
In one adventure we had two y-wings mag clamped to the outer hull, one top, one bottom. We had pilots in the cockpit at all times they worked in shifts and had to board with a vac suit but having them on alert zero all the time saved us on more than one occasion.

I found the Manta Starfighter which specifically mentions in the description that it has mag clamps to hop on the back of a larger ship for hyperspace trips.

(plus, it's a two-seater... pilot and gunner)
I'd say go with the citadel and a coulple of Y-Wings.... I'd even let them have full proton torp loads..... But... I'd make ammo expensive so they learn not to waste it. 8)
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon79 wrote:
I'd say go with the citadel and a coulple of Y-Wings.... I'd even let them have full proton torp loads..... But... I'd make ammo expensive so they learn not to waste it. 8)

I might limit it to just one Y-Wing. It'd take 6 PCs to fully crew each ship and I only have 5 players. (Unless it's two Y-Wing Longprobes, but still, I don't need to go crazy giving the PCs three starships, two will be enough.)

Besides... HOLY COW on the price tag for that thing! 200k+ credits and that's not including the cost of the Y-Wings. Laughing
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
Falcon79 wrote:

I might limit it to just one Y-Wing. It'd take 6 PCs to fully crew each ship and I only have 5 players. (Unless it's two Y-Wing Longprobes, but still, I don't need to go crazy giving the PCs three starships, two will be enough.)

Besides... HOLY COW on the price tag for that thing! 200k+ credits and that's not including the cost of the Y-Wings. Laughing

Well you can give the ship "character" that brings it's price down a bit too... plus add and remove systems. and say it's used.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon79 wrote:
Well you can give the ship "character" that brings it's price down a bit too... plus add and remove systems. and say it's used.

I like how you think! Laughing

Reminds me of an adventure idea I have to drop (crash-land) the players on the planet Korad in the Elrood sector. It's a big trash heap, junk planet and make em salvage together a ship to escape.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon79 wrote:

Or a bounty on it from say the ISB.
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Falcon79 wrote:

Or a bounty on it from say the ISB.

Nah.. that's going a bit to far... I like PCs to get bounties put on them through their own actions.... Laughing Wink
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tangential to the main point, but my next Star Wars campaign will be piracy centered, and I'm thinking a medium to bulk freighter full of Headhunters will be nice. Since we generally stick to borderline legal areas of the Star Wars universe, those old classics tend to show up a lot more often than the newer fighters. Their age and ubiquity tends to make them stick out not quite so much in civilian uses, although they obviously don't have comparable firepower.

One of my players even tracked down one of the Z-95 die cast toys for me for Christmas, apparently they were a rare chase item or something.
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could easily subtract a D here or there from the stats to start off with. say only give them 3D hull; "the hull appears to have some work done. upon closer inspection it looks like someone had tried to install an extra turbo laser battery but stopped and patched the hole. you'll have to fix that later." or you could take points off of maneuverability and have some of the maneuvering thrusters damaged.
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have problems randomly happen while piloting the ship, not everything is so noticeable. "Oh, it looks like that TIE fighter nailed part of your wing...the wing wasn't welded that great ... (-1D hull power)"
etc

"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: