The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Conversions - The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Conversions - The Clone Wars Campaign Guide Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, usually the multiplier can be converted as scale. No multiplier is character or speeder scale, x2 is walker and starfighter scale and x5 is capital scale. Roughly speaking, but it usually works. So 9d10x10 should be more than 9D capital-scale. I'm leaning towards 11D-12D.

This ship, the Malevolence shows up in the Malevolence trilogy (Rising Malevolence, Shadow of Malevolence and Destroy Malevolence), though you can see its capabilities more in the first 2 episodes.

You might be confusing something, cause there's only one such ship listed in the book. Maybe you're looking at the Providence-class?

I think the real issue here is the blast radius. However we cut it, this ion cannon must do an insane amount of damage, so it's on how to evade the blast that the interest lies. The book is very generic on its handling of this, what it says is: "A single ion cannon targets all starships with 5 squares of the ship carrying the weapon, the gunner makes an attack roll against each ship within that area."
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Well, usually the multiplier can be converted as scale. No multiplier is character or speeder scale, x2 is walker and starfighter scale and x5 is capital scale. Roughly speaking, but it usually works. So 9d10x10 should be more than 9D capital-scale. I'm leaning towards 11D-12D.

This ship, the Malevolence shows up in the Malevolence trilogy (Rising Malevolence, Shadow of Malevolence and Destroy Malevolence), though you can see its capabilities more in the first 2 episodes.

You might be confusing something, cause there's only one such ship listed in the book. Maybe you're looking at the Providence-class?

I think the real issue here is the blast radius. However we cut it, this ion cannon must do an insane amount of damage, so it's on how to evade the blast that the interest lies. The book is very generic on its handling of this, what it says is: "A single ion cannon targets all starships with 5 squares of the ship carrying the weapon, the gunner makes an attack roll against each ship within that area."

Hmm, how about a Piloting roll to power out of the way of this beast as it cycles up to fire (and it's fairly obvious from watching the episodes, from what I remember, when it is)? This should apply to smaller craft and have a certain dificulty..... Anakin does exactly this in those episodes...
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, the "two of them" meant the ion pulse gun itself. It appears as though the ship should only have one ion pulse gun instead of two ion pulse guns. But I've not seen the episodes.

Maybe we can say that it hits every ship within a certain space distance unless they can make a Very Difficult or Heroic piloting roll to escape the blast radius.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that ships speeds are portrayed differently in the RPG. Mostly in the films and in the TV show, capital ships are VERY slow, practically stationary, while starfighters fly rings around them. In the RPG, the speed rating is not all that different, at most, starfighter are twice as fast... So it's hard to explain, in the RPG, why a BTL-B Y-Wing is able to move away from the ion blast while a Venator Star Destroyer is doomed, being that they both have Space: 6.

And Chesh, the ship clearly has two huge Ion Guns, one to port and one to starboard.
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the cartoon, I recall the ion beam being fired from either the port or starboard side of the Malevolance and moving straight out. Targets in the beams path were able to move out of its way before it reached the end of its effective range, but it was indiscriminate in the ionic damage it did to anything it did catch.

Maybe give the beam a range, and speed (to allow those lucky few a chance to escape), and treat it as a template weapon, or moving wall, if you will.

E
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ejacobs wrote:
In the cartoon, I recall the ion beam being fired from either the port or starboard side of the Malevolance and moving straight out. Targets in the beams path were able to move out of its way before it reached the end of its effective range, but it was indiscriminate in the ionic damage it did to anything it did catch.

Maybe give the beam a range, and speed (to allow those lucky few a chance to escape), and treat it as a template weapon, or moving wall, if you will.

E

Excellent Idea I think! Very Happy
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, and what are the mechanics of a moving wall?
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Treat the effect as a cone that moves at a set speed (like missiles/torpedos in D6) in space units, then dissapates at a certain point. That should work. Wink
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly!

And did the ionic disc increase in diameter as it got further away from the Malevelance, or was the ship just that big?

E
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I designed an ion wave wepon, once when activated it would send out an ion pulse in an expanding sphere that had a space range of 3 and the ship was at the eppicenter. Ill check my notes but i think this is right:

Ion Pulse web:
Fire arc: All
Crew: 10
Skill: Capital ship gunnery(Ion Pulse web)
Fire control: 3D
Range: 1/2/3
Damage: 6D/5D/4D (blast diminishes as it travels)

This weapon strikes anything that is within 3 space units at the time it fires, a reflexive dodge roll is allowed only if the pilot is expecting an attack from this weapon the dodge effectivly brings the ship out of the blast radius.

Hope this helps.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ejacobs wrote:
Exactly!

And did the ionic disc increase in diameter as it got further away from the Malevelance, or was the ship just that big?

E

That's one I've been trying to find out. The ship IS big, almost 8km, so it's hard to tell if the wall is expanding or not.
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon79 wrote:
Gry Sarth wrote:
Treat the effect as a cone that moves at a set speed (like missiles/torpedos in D6) in space units, then dissapates at a certain point. That should work. Wink

But torpedoes still operate on the same doge difficulty as a turbolaser or blaster cannon. You roll a starship dodge based on the fire control + starship weapons roll.

I'm not sure how this mechanic can translate into a speed-based dodge roll of a starship unless it has some sort of standard difficulty to move out of the effective range.

Geez this is a mess.
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest a starting difficulty number based on range from Malevelance to respond in time to start moving away from the "avalanche". Then, it becomes necessary to do some fancy piloting (starship/fighter dodge rolls maybe) to get in the clear, so some piloting rolls would be in order. All the fancy flying in the galaxy isn't going to help you though, if you don't respond in time. And even then, it's going to be a nasty weapon to avoid once fired.

As Bruce Lee said (I'm paraphrasing) The best way to avoid a punch is not be there in the first place.

E
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like where you're going Ejacobs. depending on where you are in the weapon's range, it's more difficult to dodge out of it.

And how about this: Starfighter-scale ships subtract their Space code from the dodge difficulty. So smaller and faster ships stand a better chance at dodging the blast, while capital ships are more helpless.

I think wer're almost there. Now it's just a matter of adjusting the numbers. The difficulties should be overall pretty high...
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, now I'm getting on board with this.

I still don't like the ship. But I'm liking the conversion.

*grumbles something about people exercising their stupid creative license on TV*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: