The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

WEG SW - Revised from the ground up?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> WEG SW - Revised from the ground up? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recomendation is to cheak the official rules an house rules section of the rancor pit and compile a list of thing that you think need to be addressed.
Obi-Jon-Kaliburr
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I've published rpg pdfs before, based on existing intellectual properties. Like those, my Star Wars stuff would be 100% non-profit, entirely electronic, totally free. In the past, publishers and readers do tend to get confused because of the pdfs' quality, assuming I'm an insidious fan trying to jump on in their (hard-earned) bandwagon. I've actually had a phone call from the chief of a certain European comic book company on his learning I was publishing a rpg version of one of his properties. Once I made clear my purely innocent motives, and stressed that my downloads would be lucky to reach an audience of a couple of dozen readers, he was fine with it. I've absolutely no intention of being sued Smile

Because of ill health I can't work professionally, so I'm turning my untapped enthusiasm to entertaining other fans. Even if I were really out to make some financial profit, my physical condition would ultimately defeat me. Stress is definately something I can live without.

I'd be happy to create an entirely new rules system, come to think of it.

I'd be equally enthusiastic about creating a non-profit, revised TSR Marvel Superheroes rpg with lots of new sourcebooks, but that's for another board entirely.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best of luck with your project. We can always use some more hard-working creators around here.

Keep us posted and let us see your work.
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, cool, so it will exist in the same limbo as everything else created by the users of this site.

As a few said, about 70% of the rules can stay as is, with minor tweaks to balance and fit with new stuff and modifications. Combat and Force use probably need the most changes/additions to keep up with the newer material. I would also to see a lot better detail on the knowledge and technical abilities.

Have you seen D6 Space put out by WEG? While it is a generic space universe, some of the things in the book (like the ship design section) could be useful starting points for those sections.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delkarnu wrote:
ok, cool, so it will exist in the same limbo as everything else created by the users of this site.

Hee hee... too true.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is a point at which I fully disagree. One of the the best aspects of WEG Star Wars is that combat is freakin dangerous... your best plan is to not get hit, rather than soak up as much damage as possible. I LOVE the fact that even a long term hero could be killed by a punk kid with a shiv in an alley.

I am with ya there Ank.. People sometimes hate the fact i allow a 'hero' pc die from mere mooks shooting them (stormies etc). But to me that is one of the better parts of star wars is that you always have to worry about even the mooks. I always love the introduction line to the combat section of the book// COMBAT IS DANGEROUS!
Obi-Jon-Kaliburr
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back ten years to when I used to publish another series of SWRPG magazines, I remember attempting to create a system to make lightsabre duels more interesting, faster and more fluid. I can't remember if I had any success, but the books are in storage upstairs so I'll dig them out. I may have just been attempting to add dramatic flavour to the duels.

I'll certainly check out the new D6 material. I want to make some sort of start on the new SW rulebook this month, so hopefully will have all the source material I need asembled sooner rather than later.

I have most of the books as pdfs, but am buying up hardcopies wherever I find them (easier to search through, but not too many still circulating at reasonable prices in the UK). I was horrified to find out I've lost all the Adventure Journals, Planets of the Galaxy, and several adventure supplements (Elrood, Kira, DarkStryder, etc, all pdfs). It's going to be a job locating replacements.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

I am with ya there Ank.. People sometimes hate the fact i allow a 'hero' pc die from mere mooks shooting them (stormies etc). But to me that is one of the better parts of star wars is that you always have to worry about even the mooks. I always love the introduction line to the combat section of the book// COMBAT IS DANGEROUS!

I actually don't think the current (2nd R&E) is too dangerous, but it certainly doesn't need to be less. I think it's just right. Of course, since one of the first adventures I ran in the last campaign involved smuggling bacta and bacta supplies, my opinion could be based on the ready availability of it on ship (a tank was taken as partial payment for the job).
Obi-Jon-Kaliburr
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also the responsibility of the GM to stage adventures considerately and consciously given the lethality of any rules system - if he knows that in any given situation, odds are the PCs are going to be whacked out through no fault of their own but the rules dictate this is going to be the eventuality, he should make certain that scenario never arises. Giving the PCs plenty of cover and room for maneouvrability helps even the odds.

Back to the proposed revised SW rules: I wonder if anybody has ideas what to call it?

*STAR WARS, EPISODE D6? Smile
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not true it's not the dm's job to keep the players alive it's not the dm's job to ensure that people have fun, if they do somthing stupid and act like idiots they they must suffer the consuquenses of their actions.

But if they are ambushed and don't see an attack coming perception roll then they can be killed through no fault of their own, but to give them warning for no reason exept that they are player characters is unfair, to do otherwise would limit cheapen the tactics skill or the danger scence force power.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it is the gm's job to ensure people have fun.

Typo. He He.
Obi-Jon-Kaliburr
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd politely venture to not entirely agree with the idea that PCs 'could' be immediately killed if ambushed; I'd stage it so the players would be wounded - it's enough of a lesson learned. If they keep falling stupidly into the same trap, then somebody's going to join the Force that day Smile If NPCs are accompanying them, why not kill off some of the NPCs, a way of telegraphing the danger and a warning to RETREAT without ruining a player's evening.

It's very tempting to hit players with lethal ambushes and the like (gives the GM a short-term buzz), but the players soon get annoyed at having to create new characters over and again, and it only serves to fuel some players' false preconceptions of the GM's role, that he is 'against' the players rather than creating a supportive gaming environment.

If we are aiming to remain true to the pulp space operatics of the SW movies, we aren't running realistic combat simulations. It's more about keeping the players' adrenal glands firing - not removing them from the abdominal cavity with a blaster bolt... Smile NPCs can bite the dust by the hundreds, sure, but the PCs deserve special treatment - they're the stars of the show.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reluctant to give the pc's much special treatment because they come to rely on it allways assuming the gm wont let them die or on the few times he/she would they are capable of fighting their way out. Perhaps i have to much experiance with power gamers.
Obi-Jon-Kaliburr
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I sympathise entirely with you. I've been VERY fortunate in very rarely ever having to deal with power-gamers (I quickly wipe them out, usually by waiting until their bluster and overconfidence in their characters' abilities creates an opening, then... BAMM! Twisted Evil ). It is a lot easier running pBems when this type of gamer manifests because you never have to meet them (and risk getting punched in the craw).

My players were usually more interested in creating interesting personalities than walking, talking war machines. I believe SW is partly about the triumph of human (or alien) hope and spirit over brute force and arrogance.

Not to say I have no sympathy at all for the powergaming mindset. Sometimes it masks a lack of creativity or lack of self-confidence on that player's part. As long as they are willing to expand their player-character horizons, it can be a fun and rewarding experience to convince them to 'power-down' as an adventure in its own right.
enderandrew
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually had the same idea, of an unofficial 3E of the WEG rules. I'm going to start a new campaign with players who have never used D6 rules, so I wanted to take the opportunity to perhaps put my own spin on the rules.

I was planning on making a very similar post and see if anyone else was interested.

I think for starters, the BIG question is whether or not to revise core mechanics in any way, and then go from there. It is hard to debate changes or additions for ancillary rules without first solidifying core rules.

I'm going to start a new thread with some proposals for core mechanics.

This thread should perhaps serve as a larger overview for the project.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: