The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

WEG SW - Revised from the ground up?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> WEG SW - Revised from the ground up? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi-Jon-Kaliburr wrote:
I'd politely venture to not entirely agree with the idea that PCs 'could' be immediately killed if ambushed; I'd stage it so the players would be wounded - it's enough of a lesson learned. If they keep falling stupidly into the same trap, then somebody's going to join the Force that day Smile If NPCs are accompanying them, why not kill off some of the NPCs, a way of telegraphing the danger and a warning to RETREAT without ruining a player's evening..

I have done the 'the npcs bite it' in the surprise round before as a way to try and show how much danger the players are in, but with many groups it seems once one goes down the others feel compelled to stay and avenge the loss... some go so far to include npcs in that.
Obi-Jon-Kaliburr
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only response is to inflict wounds on the vengeful players, try to give them a stronger prompt to turn tail. NPC allies can be employed to physically remove the angry PCs from danger.

If not, the GM either has to fudge the encounter so the players survive, reconstructing his adventure accordingly, or play it out with the enemy as originally empowered, and start dealing the PCs lethal blows. It's not a situation where both the GM and PCs can easily emerge in agreement.
AslanC
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed you said Marvel Super Heroes, the old FASERIP system I presume? ::drool:: Love it!

I hope this SW project moves forward it seems very interesting.

You mentioned having done other work, are there any links to your previous PDFs? Just love to take a look at your style Smile
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Ok. Second try. I'm sure you might have noticed you have two very similar threads at the moment. You wouldn't of thought it was possible to post a reply to the wrong thread and do a double post. But apparently you can. You only need to be me. To be honest, I'm not even sure this is the right thread now. I've got myself quite confused.

So, this is what I accidentally posted to the wrong thread... my that was difficult Embarassed

Quote:
If you are looking for a more open-ended Force system that allows Jedi to do anything and only restricts access to powers which should be restricted you can check out the rules I use:

Currently I'm working on a massive overhaul of the system which should be up and running on the web site some time next week but you can get the basic feel even now if you check out the following two pdf.

http://derriphan.110mb.com/Star%20Wars/Contents%20Page.html

http://derriphan.110mb.com/Pdf/Chapter%202%20Techniques/Common%20Force%20Power%20Techniques.pdf

http://derriphan.110mb.com/Pdf/Chapter%201%20Characters/Full%20Skill%20List.pdf

The new system uses the Force attribute in a way not dissimilar I think to what's being suggested here but it converts the Control, Sense and Alter skills into Control, Sense and Alter skill groups each of which contains a group of five or so skills that between them govern all the powers. You can do anything that you want (excluding a small group of advanced powers that have prerequisites) but you need the right skills and some very broad powers need a lot of different skills.

Interestingly it looks as though we are on a very similar quest to write a new edition of the game. I've been working on it for about two years now. Done a lot of play testing, tried out a lot of ideas and have recently started writing up a new version.

Some of the ideas currently on the website (the current specialization system), some of the clunkier character creation options, the over the top complexity in the engineering and design rules, have now been toned back a lot in order to increase the speed of the game. We tried them out to see if they made things more fun or balanced but discovered they were too clunky for the star wars feel. Others have stayed the test of the gaming table - the technique system has been very very successful and my players have added tons to the game (making them up so quickly one or two game sessions created more than a dozen).

Like I said, if you find it at all interesting, check out the site in a week or so because hopefully I'll have up a more concise system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: