The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

WEG SW Revised (3E?) - Core Mechanics
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> WEG SW Revised (3E?) - Core Mechanics Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obi-Jon-Kaliburr
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some funny complications Very Happy I can imagine the power pack woes coming straight out of the movies (Han Solo comes to mind as the perfect stooge).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen some players freek out when that happens...
Obi-Jon-Kaliburr
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been sat here laughing just thinking about the 'loose blaster powerpack' scenario. It sounds just like one of those authentic, George Lucas 'slapstick' moments (Jar Jar stepping in Bantha poodoo, etc). If it were a more serious, 'dark' rpg, the players might revolt, but Star Wars lets us get away with it... just Wink
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enderandrew hasn't posted recently and i was thinking the 3d ed core rules system he was working on is a good idea, so if he is not going to finish it then i would not mind compiling a list of any and all failings of the current system as well as suggestions to improve it.

Is everyone okay with this.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may also be willing to write up the new 3d ed rules compendium as well, but i'm going to need someone else to put them into PDF for me. After iv compiled everything that is.
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was actually Obi-Jon-Kaliburr that started the project in another thread, enderandrew just kinda hijacked the discussion
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than scaling isn't everything pretty much house-ruled?
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Other than scaling isn't everything pretty much house-ruled?

I think that's kinda the point Wink
With a good revision of the most commonly house-ruled aspects of the game, the house ruling won't be so necessary.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering R&E has been playtested now for 12-13 years, plus all the new material, it is about time for a new compendium of rules, taking the best of the house rules that exist, and balancing the various new components.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Obi-Jon-Kaliburr is responsible for this discusion then i guess i should ask his/her permission.

So Obi haw about it.
Obi-Jon-Kaliburr
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello There,

Do whatever you like, Lostboy; not certain why anybody has to ask me for permission. We're all fans, admirers of WEG's game, all in the same boat.

I'd like to see hundreds of different versions of the rules - even entirely new rules systems - to keep the game fresh! The rules that others might create don't have to impact on anything I might produce, and I know that whatever I come up with won't please every other roleplayer.

There'll never be a definitive version of the rules because (joyfully) there are endless ways of approaching (and interpreting) them. The way in which I want to reinterpet them is to strip them down and make them more pulp, more freeform. This will mean ditching some rules, reorganising stat blocks, adding new mechanics. It is a system that will work well for me, not so much for others.

This is why we need lots of rules variants. GMs can try one, a few, or all of them, or steal bits and custom-build their own systems. I'm trying to echo the ideology of the Rebel Alliance (strength in diversity) over the Empire's monopoly (one rule for all - kill the dissenters Very Happy
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I was thinking about for this project is actually compiling a selection of the house rules for different scenarios. Have rules to speed things up or be more detailed.

Example: You are playing an uber lightsaber wielding jedi.

1. When taking on mobs of basic stormtroopers, I'd want to employ some simplified combat rules so you don't have to roll fifty times to take down simple enemies. Let you feel the power of your advanced character.

2. When taking on more skilled enemies, use the more normal rules, make it time to think and employ strategy.

3. When you encounter an inquisitor of equal skill, I'd like to employ more detailed lightsaber combat rules, so you don't take him don't or get taken down in one round by a lucky roll.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all three of your suggestions esspecialy the last one, i have a rule for that it improves light saber duels but i dose ad a bit more book keeping. I need to find the original to get specifics but it's basicly it's, the damage of a successful saber blow cannot excced the difference between the defence and attack rules.

I think that's how it went, yeh that sounds right.
Obi-Jon-Kaliburr
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do find that rules can be simplified in almost all instances by letting the players dramatise how they accomplish an action, rather than having the rules dictate them through every step. Have one roll represent several sequential actions ('Macrotise! Macrotise!'). As you've mentioned, rules concerning a Jedi wading through a dozen stormtroopers can become laborious, and hurt the sense of pacing. A solution might be to break the massed enemy down into 'sets' (in this instance, three sets of four 'troopers) and then have the Jedi deal with each set as a single character, augmented slightly by the number of personnel within that set.

The trick is knowing at which point to limit the rules' complexity in these encounters. The temptation for GMs and players who enjoy detailing rules systems is to add all kinds of modifiers according to what species are found within a set, how they are armed, presence of jetpacks etc... the result is a complete dog's dinner, more a war game than a roleplaying adventure.

Now, my entirely personal ruling in this scenario would be to treat each set as a single trooper, but capable of causing weapons damage equal to the most common firearm x the number of troopers. Likewise, the set can sustain four times the injuries of a single trooper. The Jedi can therefore hypothetically kick the @$$ of four Imperial Stormtroopers with a very few swings of his lightsabre, but he's in trouble if he botches his rolls...

The result would be less dice rolling and more opportunity for the player to verbally dramatise the battle, standing up and swinging his arms about, having some healthy, cathartic fun Wink
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think WEG almost always made the rules for the middle case, but for every group that wants to speed through starship combat because they picked more ground based characters, there is a group that wants detailed dogfights, choosing maneuvers to out think the other player, lining up the shots, etc. so you might have 10 rounds of maneuvers before either person manages to get a shot off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: