The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rules in pBem or pBps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> PbP Overview -> Rules in pBem or pBps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obi-Jon-Kaliburr
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Rules in pBem or pBps Reply with quote

Hello There,

I've only recently joined this fine message board, and am enjoying reading what threads are already out there. I'm still (pleasantly) surprised that D6 survives to this day, but maybe we have the clunky D20 edition to partly thank for that! Smile

Back on topic:

I am interested in running some SW pBem games. I've had a lot of experience with Judge Dredd and D&D (Mystara). Early on, I ditched the rules systems as the idea of being sat alone, rolling dice and consulting tables on behalf of players who had no idea what I could be doing, seemed hilarious. I now surmise the situation, examine its parameters and the relative abilities of all characters involved, roll a couple of 2d10s and adjudicate by common sense - hey presto, it's resolved in seconds and the story speeds along unimpeded. We don't roll up characters, and instead are free to write essays about their characters, backstories etc, this style encouraging storytelling over tactical 'power' gaming. There are no experience points - the 'carrot' is the pleasure of crafting stories that eventually become novellas in a fun, collaborative environment.

I am interested in the various methods my fellow non-tabletop gamers use to adjudicate text-based adventures. Do you go freeform (in the rules sense, not story), or have you customised the D6 rules, or have you invented an entirely scratch-built rules system?

TIA.
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rules in pBem or pBps Reply with quote

Obi-Jon-Kaliburr wrote:
Hello There,

I've only recently joined this fine message board, and am enjoying reading what threads are already out there. I'm still (pleasantly) surprised that D6 survives to this day, but maybe we have the clunky D20 edition to partly thank for that! Smile

Back on topic:

I am interested in running some SW pBem games. I've had a lot of experience with Judge Dredd and D&D (Mystara). Early on, I ditched the rules systems as the idea of being sat alone, rolling dice and consulting tables on behalf of players who had no idea what I could be doing, seemed hilarious. I now surmise the situation, examine its parameters and the relative abilities of all characters involved, roll a couple of 2d10s and adjudicate by common sense - hey presto, it's resolved in seconds and the story speeds along unimpeded. We don't roll up characters, and instead are free to write essays about their characters, backstories etc, this style encouraging storytelling over tactical 'power' gaming. There are no experience points - the 'carrot' is the pleasure of crafting stories that eventually become novellas in a fun, collaborative environment.

I am interested in the various methods my fellow non-tabletop gamers use to adjudicate text-based adventures. Do you go freeform (in the rules sense, not story), or have you customised the D6 rules, or have you invented an entirely scratch-built rules system?

TIA.

Hello, personally I don't like free form and prefer the PBP Game keep the original table top rules as intact as posible, but to each his own. Wink PBP with Rules is actually enjoable to me as I enjoy at least SOME of the tactical aspect to be in effect and PBP gives me time to think on my Character's actions.... Smile
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I would love to give it a try, but I must admit I have not done such a game before. sounds straight forward Smile

I will start thinking of a good character concept.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Obi-Jon-Kaliburr
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello There,

I'm starting up a SW pBem game sometime in the next fortnight, set between ANH-ESB, featuring a squad of Rebel commandoes. I've never really tried a military-themed SW adventure, with all the players generally similarly skilled and outfitted. The adventures will not be entirely combat, but feature elements of survival, espionage and travel, plus trying to get along with the innocent locals - and not kill too many of them! I've got two players so far, both experienced pBemers. I've got room for a few more.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So kind of a Wraith squadron thing?

Are you going to do this on this board, or do it via e-mail?

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an interesting character idea and i'm willing to give a SW pBem a try.
Obi-Jon-Kaliburr
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello There Vong,

I'm running the pBem via e-mail. It only requires 5-20 minutes per day commitment, and I'm easy about weekends (if you want to take a two-day break, fine by me). I shall be starting the first mission on 2nd March.

Yes, there's a basic similarity between the team I'm assembling for the pBem and the Wraiths. The main difference? The team is primarily ground-based. I don't have any more restrictions, and welcome players to throw ideas of their own into the pot, help shape the group's dynamics.

There is a commanding officer (played by Ian), a second-in-command (no players as yet assigned... might even end up as a NPC), then a half dozen escapees from an Imperial prison ship. Players may elect to be escapees, but among the less immoral quotient, those not likely to slit the Alliance officer's throats.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool,

I will start delving into my brain to find an enjoyable character.

Will we have a freighter, as mechanic / slicer templates are usually fun for me to play.

I may attempt to do something a bit different though, we shall see Smile

Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may give it a try... but was hoping for a more space based game... Would a former Pirate be ok? OK how does this work?
Obi-Jon-Kaliburr
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Vong, Falcon 79,

At present, the team will utilise a different way to get to its destinations each mission, so there's no signature vehicle (but you get to run the gamut of fighters, freighters, cruisers, etc). There will be lots of travel involved, making the best use of new and old vehicles along the way to reach various locations. There's no space combat in the first mission - this is because it is intended to be slightly more of a character-driven exercise, introducing us to the movers and shakers (you players). There is plenty of action, however - it wouldn't be SW without it Wink

The twist is that you won't know what your mission objective is until you have landed in or near to the objective zone and found the hidden hologram containing your briefing. This is a tactic devised by your commanding officer to prevent turncoats from learning of it beforehand and trying to derail the mission in order to stage an escape.

There's an interesting group dynamic in play. The Rebel officers don't know how much they can trust the non-commisioned members, but trust each other. They are however in the minority as far as strength of numbers is concerned. The escapees don't entirely trust the Rebels (but they have the upper hand ... for the moment) and certainly don't trust each other.
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi-Jon-Kaliburr wrote:
Hello Vong, Falcon 79,

At present, the team will utilise a different way to get to its destinations each mission, so there's no signature vehicle (but you get to run the gamut of fighters, freighters, cruisers, etc). There will be lots of travel involved, making the best use of new and old vehicles along the way to reach various locations. There's no space combat in the first mission - this is because it is intended to be slightly more of a character-driven exercise, introducing us to the movers and shakers (you players). There is plenty of action, however - it wouldn't be SW without it Wink

The twist is that you won't know what your mission objective is until you have landed in or near to the objective zone and found the hidden hologram containing your briefing. This is a tactic devised by your commanding officer to prevent turncoats from learning of it beforehand and trying to derail the mission in order to stage an escape.

There's an interesting group dynamic in play. The Rebel officers don't know how much they can trust the non-commisioned members, but trust each other. They are however in the minority as far as strength of numbers is concerned. The escapees don't entirely trust the Rebels (but they have the upper hand ... for the moment) and certainly don't trust each other.
K. Fair enough do we make up characters using standard D6 and Send to you how are skills handled?
Obi-Jon-Kaliburr
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Falcon 79,

The game is freeform, so there is no rule system for players to worry about. The GM uses dice and common sense to arbitrate, using a simple, swift method that won't stall play.

You'll find the experience quite different to tabletop SW. It empowers the players to think outside of the rules and craft characters exactly as they want them. Because the rules are simplified, the story is allowed to breathe, and there is much more of a sense of collaboration between GM and players. The latter are invited to contribute to the story's direction, rather than merely reacting to the GM's scenarios.

If interested players can PM me the e-mail addresses they want to be contacted through for the mission's duration, I will send them the pBem Primer. Following that, I will distribute a sample character sheet so you can see how freeform SW character profiles are formatted. Once I know exactly how many players are on board, I will request character profiles and produce character illustrations (if required).

- John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> PbP Overview All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: