The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Official Change to the YT-1300
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Official Change to the YT-1300
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orion
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Official Change to the YT-1300 Reply with quote

While I realize that many things that Lucasfilms does aren't very popular with the fanbase, I am rather surprised that there has been no discussion of their change to the official length of the Millennium Falcon, and by extension all YT-1300 ships. Sometime in 2008 DK Publishing produced Star Wars Blueprints: The Ultimate Collection, one of which was, of course, the Falcon. Apparently every blueprint of the Falcon up until this one had to use cheats to get things to fit inside as it was physically impossible at 26.7m. Using an original 1976 scale drawing, by visual effect art director Joe Johnston as a starting point, that showed the Falcon to be about twice the length of a Y-Wing, which would put in the neighborhood of 32m. After doing all the number crunching they arrived at a length of 34.75m (114 ft) which means the 'full size' model done for Empire was in fact a 75-80% scale model. This up-scaling of the YT-1300 class will definitely make it easier to draw custom deckplans for it.

Here is a link to the article I read about this in:

http://www.starwars.com/vault/books/feature20081026.html?page=1
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as i'm concerned the size of the falcon was visually apparent in TESB and thus that is it's size end of story.
Orion
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lostboy wrote:
As far as i'm concerned the size of the falcon was visually apparent in TESB and thus that is it's size end of story.

Which visual are you referring to? Let me quote from the article to clarify my question.

Quote:
Hindering attempts at defining the Falcon's true specs were the flexible requirements of filmmaking, which often favored cost-saving cheats rather than to-the-rivet accuracy in the ship's various depictions. Even the most basic question did not produce a simple answer: how big is the Falcon?

If one were to use the studio interior sets seen in Episode IV and Episode V as a foundation of scale, it became apparent that they simply could not fit comfortably within the Falcon's exterior dimensions as defined by the ILM models. If the cockpit indicated a certain size, than the hull height meant Han, and especially Chewie, would have to crouch to walk around the crew compartments. Furthermore, the full-sized Falcon exterior built for The Empire Strikes Back was, in actuality, about 75-80 percent of its intended true size, if one were to make an imaginary blow-up of the ILM miniature to the appropriate dimensions.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, some 8 extra meters is not such a traumatic change. I've always thought of the YT-1300 as "around 30 meters", so now it's just a bit more instead of a bit less.

It's not like the Super Star Destroyer suddenly gaining 11 kilometers!
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That article is a good read. There are a lot of upset people out there over the size of the Falcon, I hope this solves a lot of problems.
Orpheus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can sleep tonight.
Orion
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Gry. I agree that it's not a huge difference, but it should be enough to make deck plans easier to make, especially if those plans account for the 3rd dimension.

@ jmanski. Glad you enjoyed it also and I believe it will.

@ Orpheus. Always nice to help someone alleviate their insomnia Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: