The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Character Points as a Damage Level reducer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Character Points as a Damage Level reducer Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AWAD
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Character Points as a Damage Level reducer Reply with quote

I was reading a few threads here and also seeing some in my group complain they should have taking a higher STR to survive more, and I for some of my medium to higher level baddies and came up with an idea. (sorry if presented before)

Instead of burning a character point to add to STR resistance, make it where it reduces the wound category. D6 Wild CP is a double edge sword; you may use one and go from Dead to Stun, or burn 3 of them and get only to Mortally Wounded.

Let them burn a CP to reduce the damage level by one to a minimum of Wounded. If only wounded and you really really need to avoid it, you can reduce that to Stun.

Gives the PC a more heroic feel, and me to keep some baddies alive when I have a bad set of rolls.

Just throwing some meat out there to see how it is digested.

AWAD
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's what works for you, go ahead, but I really don't like these house rules. They make CPs too powerful and the outcome of any combat to easily controlled by the players. With such rules, no one would die or even deal with severe injuries unless they really WANTED to. The fun thing about CPs is that even spending your precious points is no guarantee you will get any substantial aid. Frustration is an important part of the game, and we've had lots of fun seeing a player infuriatingly burn loads of CPs on useless 1s.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Frustration is an important part of the game...

I'm with Gry.
Like it says right in the core rule books, combat is dangerous, as well it should be. Running into battle should rarely be a goal for a character, the risk of death is very real, and the d6 system does a good job of conveying that. I'm not a big fan of rules that reduce the lethality of combat.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to avoid dying in combat is to avoid combat.
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A compromise could be allowing players to roll willpower to play through the pain, and ignore the wound level for the remainder of combat, easy to ignore a stun, moderate for a wound, and difficult for twice wounded.

A wounded character still has the wound, getting wounded again would make you twice wounded and require a new willpower check. Fighting through the pain aggravates all wounds, and you suffer an additional wound level when failing a willpower check or combat ends.

The players get a chance to survive longer, but with consequences.
Wu-Jon
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
If that's what works for you, go ahead, but I really don't like these house rules. They make CPs too powerful and the outcome of any combat to easily controlled by the players. With such rules, no one would die or even deal with severe injuries unless they really WANTED to. The fun thing about CPs is that even spending your precious points is no guarantee you will get any substantial aid. Frustration is an important part of the game, and we've had lots of fun seeing a player infuriatingly burn loads of CPs on useless 1s.

Well said.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that combat needs to be lethal to have any meaning in a game and i think you should concider that the power "reduce injury" already exists it's a force power and thus has to be earned. Implementing your CP system cheapens the force users ability to reduce injury from rare and fantastic to mundane and ho hum.
AWAD
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!!! The piece of meat was shredded and rejected quickly.

Someone mentioned force powers and that is part of the problem. I have a Jedi in the group and he can cover himself pretty well, but not others. The combat stud with armor I can wound but really smacking him is hard. It is the pilot and tech guy that get the brunt of the @$$ whooping, read, both of them have been mortally wounded once and incapacitated a couple of times. So I see a little bit of the frustration and also the fact they are burning through more CP than the other 2. So they are asking if they should scrap their PC and take at least a 3D or better STR.

So I was just kicking a few things around to see how it works. Thanks for the feedback, gives me some ideas.

AWAD- One of the PC quotes is "O the Bacta tank again, combat must be over and we must be on our ship."
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that when a Jedi uses Reduce Injury, they receive a permanent injury of some sort, making it pretty costly.

If you're finding that the players with low strength and no armour are really suffering in combat, remember that your adversaries might concentrate their attacks against the stronger combatants, rather than evenly among everyone. You could reduce the attacks coming their way.

Additionally if those unarmored, low strength characters are continually getting injured, they may consider changing their tactics. Low Strength, damage vulnerable characters are quite viable in combat, but they do require a different approach to how they go about it. Make use of cover/terrain, learn to avoid attacks, use different attacks that incapacitate multiple enemies rather than attacking a single attacker (ie. glop grenades and the like).

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And have a higher dodge!!
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
Remember that when a Jedi uses Reduce Injury, they receive a permanent injury of some sort, making it pretty costly.

If you're finding that the players with low strength and no armour are really suffering in combat, remember that your adversaries might concentrate their attacks against the stronger combatants, rather than evenly among everyone. You could reduce the attacks coming their way.

Additionally if those unarmored, low strength characters are continually getting injured, they may consider changing their tactics. Low Strength, damage vulnerable characters are quite viable in combat, but they do require a different approach to how they go about it. Make use of cover/terrain, learn to avoid attacks, use different attacks that incapacitate multiple enemies rather than attacking a single attacker (ie. glop grenades and the like).

I usually recommend my players have 3D str and armor to be able to survive an encounter with an imperial blaster rifle.

If the players have low strenght then they should have high dodge. if they have low dodge too, they shouldnt be in combat Razz you can add more combat in the "chase" scenes where theplayers are in a skiff or ship. so their str isisnt directly affected when they are hit Wink

Personally i agree though, no use of CP to reduce injury level.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
theplayers are in a skiff or ship. so their str isisnt directly affected when they are hit

That depends if their ship/skiff etc gets hit and blown up or seriously damaged.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, true.

But there is no setting where the PCs are fully safe from death.... at least any good ones Wink

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
AslanC
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't they just add CP dice when they make their initial STR roll to resist damage? Or is that not allowed in the rules? I forget Smile
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. I think the OP is simply proposing a system that is less controlled by the whim of the dice... more consistent bang for the CP use.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: