The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

D6 and D20 differences
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> D6 and D20 differences Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me be clear me and everyone i know find the starwars d20 rules set to be cumbersome and the pidgeon-holing of the "Character class" to be unrealistic and not in the feel of the starwars universe, every other negative comment i could make has already been made. I'm sorry but i have nothing good to say about d20 starwars accept the artwork is nice, and i don't take that as a commentary on my personality but rather o the state of the d20 system.

As for what i think of the d6 system just assume positive responces instead of negative.
mastereji
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing i like about d6 is that there are not "experience points" where the PCs know how many exp they need to make another level. To me its like, "Hey guys, we only need to kill 3 more fire giants and we all get to level" for DnD and for sw d20 (higher level pcs), "Hey guys, all we need to do is kill 1000 more basic stormtroopers and we all get to level". To me the rewards from the d6 system make you think about where you want to spend your points and you can actually strive to build your character the way you want, in what skills you want, not the "Gee, i cant up this skill very easily because it is a cross-class skill." Plus you can make up your own skills (which i believe has been talked about somewhere else). I also totally agree with what was said earlier about a very very very veteran character not being way tougher just because they are skilled. The system is really easy to learn and its just plain fun. I have played a plethora of systems, some still around most not around anymore, and d6 is by far my favorite system plus how many of those many other systems that are not around anymore have their own site dedicated to it with so many dedicated fans? (Though since i dont care about many of those systems im not sure if there could be or not be a site devoted to them?). I have pretty much converted many in my multiple gaming groups to the d6 system -- so hooray for the good guys. Anyways just play the system and you will then see how much smoother d6 is.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, d20 is weird. Even non-combat folks like scientists become good fighters just through leveling. Doesn't make sense.
Orpheus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the new Saga Edition rules aren't all that bad and I must admit that they are slightly tempting. Embarassed

I never got a chance to get a good look at the old d20 Star Wars rules, but I understand that they were quite cumbersome. The Saga rules are very streamlined though, and I wouldn't mind playing with them some except for one glaring problem: there aren't any really good published adventures for it! Evil or Very Mad

Sure, sure; I could just make my own. I just think that one of the best ways to get folks involved in the game and with a new system is to have great adventures ready to go in order to give them a helping hand. I have virtual stacks of adventures for our favorite old Star Wars system sitting on my hard drive just waitin' to go, and that alone is enough to keep me safely in the d6 fold.

I suppose that one could convert them, but why bother?

I'm married, have a child, and I'm currently studying for the GMAT with my eye on graduate school this year. Like I have any time. Very Happy
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: D6 vs. d20 Saga Edition Reply with quote

Hiall,
by chance i'm just in the phase of reading the d20 SE rules.
As a beginner d6 master i wanted to check if there were some good ideas over there.

Let me make clear im not a d6 expert, but i like the "set a difficulty number and roll" mechanics.

This is the first d6 advantage, imho.
Since i'm nuch beyound the 30ies, i don't have much time nor energy to study over rules. This is the reason why i find d20SE nice, but too complicated.

Both systems (and many more, MERP included) share another flaw (imho), it's the way the rulebook is organized. As a GM first i want to know some basic game mechanics, then i want a practical example of charachter creation (but with every related rule just intermixed with it), lastly i want a detailed game mechanics and rules section. In the end i want stats for creatures, objects and the like.

I never found a manual that fit this precise order (d6 is no bad but not perfect).

I just wanted to raise a scondary issue here: there are many similarities in terminology and items/species/characters, and the rest between d6 and d20 Se official products. I'm pretty sure this comes from LucasArts strict "control" over content of SW related products. Still i have the suspect that some ideas from WEG slipped into WOTC SW team.
Any comments?

*Edited for misspelling

Last edited by Rasputiza on Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: D6 vs. d20 Saga Edition Reply with quote

Rasputiza wrote:

Both systems (and many more, MERP included) share another flaw (imho), it's the way the rulebook is organized. As a GM first i want to lnow some nasic game mechanics, then i want a practical example of charachter creation (but with every related rule just intermixed with it), lastly i want a deailed game mechanics and rules section. In the end i want stats for creatures, objects and the like.

I've actually got a character creation and advancement guide in the handouts section of my 4shared account. You can find them in the link below. The file name is New Player Handout.pdf (or doc, possibly).

Quote:

I never found a manual that fit this precise order (d6 is no bad but not perfect).

If you're looking for creatures, weapons, droids, vehicles, etc. Gry Sarth has a number of good guides compiling all official stats. They're posted all over the boards. I don't have those in my files section because I frequent a board that doesn't look so kindly on mass releasing official stats, and I like to keep the link in my signature.

Quote:

I just wanted to raise a scondary issue here: there are many similarities in terminology and items/species/characters, and the rest between d6 and d20 Se official products. I'm pretty sure this comes from LucasArts strict "control" over content of SW related products. Still i have the suspect that some ideas from WEG slipped into WOTC SW team.
Any comments?

Rodney Thompson has been pretty transparent with the fact that he's taken a lot of things from WEG. He's been a long-time fan of the D6 system, and when he was more active at the SWRPGNetwork, he would release stats in d20 and D6. Since WotC is all d20, and he doesn't have time to post D6 stats, he has kind of let that fall by the wayside.
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for pointing me that link.
Yes, i knew about excellent Gry's fanbooks (and i downloaded them all). My point was about how a Base manual should be organized. If it's well organized, the chances of a newcomer becoming confused tend to be smaller, imho.

And thanks about the info over d20 system's heritage... Smile
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rulebook layout is one of the toughest thing for a game designer/publisher these days. You have to find a balance between just enough detail so as not to overwhelm a newbie and lots of detail to satisfy the veteran gamers.

It's a tough thing to do, and hats off to anyone who can pull it off. I've noticed a lot of rulebooks today are set up with a "light" version and "advanced" options. That seems to be a good way to balance things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: