The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Droid Starfighters "walking" mode
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Droid Starfighters "walking" mode
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Droid Starfighters "walking" mode Reply with quote

My characters are going to fight a droid starfighter in it's walking mode. Has anyone stated it with any skills other than starfighter piloting and gunnery? Would it use the same blasters that it uses in space combat to blast the characters on the ground?

With all due respect to Gry, the stats in his Starships pdf for the droid starfighter look a bit tougher than I would have imagined them to be.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No effense, it IS too tough. Since the last publication of the Starships PDF I have revised those stats, in light of the newest Saga publications. This is the current state of affairs:

Quote:
Droid Starfighter
Craft: Baktoid Armor Workshop Vulture-class Starfighter
Affiliation: Trade Federation / Separatists
Era: Old Republic
Source: Secrets of Naboo (page 8 ), d20 Rulebook (page 229), Starships of the Galaxy - Saga Ed. (page 78 ), Saga Edition Core Rulebook (page 181)
Type: Autonomous starfighter
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 3.5 meters
Skill: Starfighter piloting
Crew: 0 (droid brain)
Crew Skill: Starfighter piloting 4D+1, starship gunnery 4D+1
Cargo Capacity: None
Consumables: 2 days
Cost: 19,000 (new), 5000 (used)
Maneuverability: 2D
Space: 10
Atmosphere: 410; 1,180 kmh
Hull: 2D+1
Sensors:
Passive: 20/0D
Scan: 40/1D
Search: 60/2D
Focus: 3/3D
Weapons:
2 Blaster Cannons (fire-linked)
Fire Arc: Front
Skill: Starship gunnery
Fire Control: 1D+2
Space Range: 1-5/10/17
Atmosphere Range: 100-500/1/1.7 km
Damage: 4D
2 Medium Concussion Missile Launchers (3 missiles each)
Fire Arc: Front
Skill: Starship gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1/3/7
Atmosphere Range: 30-100/300/700
Damage: 8D

Although that still doesn't quite make it all that Walker-mode friendly, but you can go from there.
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I think it should be possible for the droids to stomp on or kick away human-sized opponents. Does the Saga rules allow for this? Or is this something we have to houserule?
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gry. Those stats are much more in line with what I was thinking. Another thought that occured to me was that is it possible that there is a second set of blasters on these things? In flight I see them shooting from the wings. However somewhere(Clone Wars: Duel of the Droids?) I remember seeing one shooting in walker mode and the shots were coming from the "chin" of the fighter? If anyone else can verify this I wonder if it wouldn't be out of line to add some speeder scale blasters to the stats. While we are at it maybe some programming to use them such as vehicle blasters.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hisham wrote:
You know, I think it should be possible for the droids to stomp on or kick away human-sized opponents. Does the Saga rules allow for this? Or is this something we have to houserule?

We could equate MAN for DEX and BODY STR for STR and adjust or scale.

Or we could covert the vehcile's 34 Str score in SAGA to a d6 STR score using Chesire's conversion chart for DEX/Maneuverability and get 6D+2.

No matter how you do it, in d6 these things are going to be deadly against characters, if they ever manage to hit one. Even 6D+2 gives it a kick like a medium repeating blaster.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
hisham wrote:

That's basically what I did when I made a conversion of the Macross VF-1 Valkyrie to d6. I haven't really play tested how it works out, but it makes logical sense.

As for stomping/kicking character scale beings, I can't see it coming up too often, except for in extenuating circumstances. These guys aren't good at walking and their legs aren't very dexterous. I can see them moving around to get a good blast angle with their blasters, but not chasing people down to stomp them. Seems inefficient and outside of their probable programming. But in the event that it happens, it'd hurt, and the above could work as a mechanic.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
atgxtg wrote:
hisham wrote:

That's basically what I did when I made a conversion of the Macross VF-1 Valkyrie to d6. I haven't really play tested how it works out, but it makes logical sense.

As for stomping/kicking character scale beings, I can't see it coming up too often, except for in extenuating circumstances. These guys aren't good at walking and their legs aren't very dexterous. I can see them moving around to get a good blast angle with their blasters, but not chasing people down to stomp them. Seems inefficient and outside of their probable programming. But in the event that it happens, it'd hurt, and the above could work as a mechanic.

They are supposed to be to patrol in a sort of sentry mode. They probably do have some "melee/brawling" skill, but yeah, it does seem more efficient (not to mention more likely) that they'd just go airborne and use their blasters and missiles.

MA-3PO wrote:

Would it use the same blasters that it uses in space combat to blast the characters on the ground?

Not according to the New Essential Guide. Apparently the blasters are covered by the wings while in "walker" mode and can't be used.

Of course you could have an upgraded model with repeating blasters installed under the chin for use when on the ground. Something vehicle or character scale. Just keep in mind that this thing is pretty much a tank and can soak a lot of punishment (8D+1 Body Strength at character scale!), and can dish out a lot if/when it finally hits something. Chances are that by the time the PCs can take it down with blasters, it will have connected and hit someone. I'd avoid a straight out fight like the plague. Too great a chance o killing a PC.

I suggest giving the PCs a lot of cover, and maybe put a crate of thermal detonators or a blaster cannon across the room that they can use to take this puppy out with one shot- once they can get across the room.. THe PCs can move from cover to cover, using suppression fire and not really giving the droid a clear shot. You could turn it into a game o cat & mouse, with the PCs using AATs for cover (and maybe trying to find one that isn't locked up).

I'd also suggest coming up with an in game rational why the droid can't fly and use it best attack forms. Perhaps it is damaged, or is undergoing an overhaul and the repulsorlift or ion flight system isn't operational.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The characters are trying to escape from a damaged Trade Federation battleship. This thing will be patrolling in the hanger. The Jedi has enough dice he *might* be able to cut it down if he gets close enough. More than anything I intend this to be an obstacle to avoid while they attempt to steal a shuttle.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:

Of course you could have an upgraded model with repeating blasters installed under the chin for use when on the ground. Something vehicle or character scale. Just keep in mind that this thing is pretty much a tank and can soak a lot of punishment (8D+1 Body Strength at character scale!), and can dish out a lot if/when it finally hits something. Chances are that by the time the PCs can take it down with blasters, it will have connected and hit someone. I'd avoid a straight out fight like the plague. Too great a chance o killing a PC.

While that may be, with only 4d+! gunnery, and a 6d scaling diff between character and fighter, it stands little to no chance of ever hitting.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

While that may be, with only 4d+! gunnery, and a 6d scaling diff between character and fighter, it stands little to no chance of ever hitting.

Yeah. but as a 2D grenade once taught my STR 6D Wookiee, little to no ins't none. With it's 1D+2 firecontrol you are up to 6D. That is only a 3 or 4D difference. With two wild dice things can happen. Now, I'm not entirely fond of the scaling rules. I just don't believe that something that can track and fire at starfighter than is kilometers away and accelerating at 2-4km per second is going to have that much trouble targeting some guy less than a hundred meters and accelerating less than 10 m/second.

But, hey, this is Star Wars-if the bad guys could hit, Han, Luke and Leia wouldn't have gotten out of the Death Star.

I, by some fluke of mathematics, this thing should connect, the 10D damage is probably going to kill a PC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: