The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

GM startin' all over again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> GM startin' all over again Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zorg
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: GM startin' all over again Reply with quote

Hellu

I ve been GMing a group of 4 ppl for about 3 months now with the first edition rules, but now i got my hands on the second edition revised and expanded so we are going to reset the whole thing.

I am looking for a startup adventure for everyone to get a hold on the new, sweet rules. I usually write my own stuff, but now it seems appropriate to use a "proper" adventure. Anyone got a good one to recommend?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, several.

What are you running? Tramp freighters? Jedi? Clone Wars campaign? Just give us an era and a group makeup and we can help out.
Zorg
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok

They havent made their new characters yet, i will write again when i have more info.
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some great starters if you're doing a tramp freighters kind of campaign.
McKinley
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I've got some great starters if you're doing a tramp freighters kind of campaign.

I'd like to see some of those.
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to organize them into neat little PDFs. I probably will later, though.

What I would love to do is to take some of those adventures, and put them into neat little books to publish on the net. The problem is, that two of the mini campaigns feature one official WEG adventure.
Orpheus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to organize them into neat little PDFs. I probably will later, though.

What I would love to do is to take some of those adventures, and put them into neat little books to publish on the net. The problem is, that two of the mini campaigns feature one official WEG adventure.

Well you could just reference the official adventure with a little "Adventure X Goes Here" page or something, then embellish it with whatever personal changes you've made mentioned. I'm sure that most of us have a ton of those old adventures in pdf format so I'm sure that it wouldn't be a problem. Wink
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the better ones i have seen of the printed modules for a starter group is starfall.
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orpheus wrote:

Well you could just reference the official adventure with a little "Adventure X Goes Here" page or something, then embellish it with whatever personal changes you've made mentioned. I'm sure that most of us have a ton of those old adventures in pdf format so I'm sure that it wouldn't be a problem. Wink

I'll probably re-work those particular adventures, especially because one is The Lambda Heist. THe Lambda Heist was originally published on WEDGE, but later sold to WotC as a d20 adventure in one of their magazines.

It shouldn't be too hard to re-work it though. Perhaps I'll be able to do that this summer if we can stay ahead on our conversion schedule.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire,

If you even do go the PDF route with your campaign, it really won't take that much more work to come up with some replacement adventures to replace the official ones. Anything that isn't crucial can be discarded, and anything that can't be discarded can be revamped.

For example, there are lots of lambda class shuttles, and you could have a mission where the players steal a different shuttle.
Zorg
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now i have more accurate information. We have a group with four, possibly five people. They have planned it so that they have most of the important skills covered.

First we have Dalen "Gunner" Armande: He is an ex-mandalorian who deserted from his clan with his brother. After traveling around a bit as merceneries his brother was killed. After that he tried being a smuggler, but he lost his ship and is now poor and his skills are dulled.

He is an allround fighter with some skills in flying, but usually uses blasters and other sorts of guns(No s*** Sherlock).

Then we have the tech-dude, Tuk Chuk: Tuk is a Dazouri who is specialized in technical stuff, especially military droids and cyborging. He never made it as a legal droid technician or cyborger. He has been traveling around and taking all the jobs he can find, but tries to stay away from the larger criminal organizations. He is constantly trying to rush the others into destroying some droids so that he can scavenge it for spare parts.

Tuk is a techguy who is skilled in droid skills and first aid/medicine. When he goes into rage form he is really raging and killing people in his way and breaking stuff. He cant help in battle unless he is hurt, then he mows people down like a crazed truck.

And then we have the pilot, Ug Mog: Ug has been interested in space traveling for as long as he can remember. He grew up in a loving family. A bit poor perhaps, but there were always happy. When he grew up he began working as a space "trucker". He his life is kinda dull but thats the way he likes it. Now he has lost his job and is poor and homeless. Nowadays he does almost anything for a few credits, but doesn't want to get involved in illegal activities.

Ug is a skilled pilot, he knows very much about pretty much every aspect of a space craft. He knows how to handle a blaster and can hopefully cover his own @$$ in a fight.

And finally we have the last dude, Diesh Halb: Diesh is a vurk, he has always been a bit of a ruffian. He is extremely strong and nimble, he uses melee weapons. He has grown up in the streets and always had to take whatever jobs he could find. Very little is known about his past (meaning that he never cared about writing down his background) but recently he has been trying to get a few more decent jobs. He is force sensitive.

And there you have it people, the grand adventures of this little group is about to begin. The adventures starts when a war is raging between the empire and the brave rebellion. I dont really care about which time period to use, and my players dont care about how precise things will be if you compare it to the movies. The empire rules, and the rebels tries to take them down. The death star is probably somewhere out there, Vader and the sith peeps could be out there, but no one knows anything about them yet.

I will probably later throw in some old jedi/sith holocron which will give Diesh a chance to become a jedi if he just wants it bad enough and starts to search for a way.

So, did anybody have a few suggestions of cool startup adventures or is it anything else you need to know to be able to recommend them?

Phew, long post...
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I take it that these folks are on the fringe of the war, and not a part of the rebellion or empire?
Zorg
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, they start out as "neutral". If they want to join one side or another its up to them to do it later.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's the starter. Give them a junker ship, I've used an old (and modified) Gozanti Cruiser:

Quote:

Starfire
Craft: Gozanti-class Cruiser
Affiliation: General
Era: Old Republic
Source: Starships of the Galaxy – Saga Ed. (page 90)
Type: Cruiser transport
Scale: Starfighter Length: 42 meters
Skill: Space transports: Gozanti Cruiser
Crew: 3, gunners: 2
Passengers: 12
Cargo Capacity: 75 metric tons
Consumables: 1 month
Cost: 150,000 (used)
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x3
Hyperdrive Backup: x12
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 1D+2
Space: 4
Atmosphere: 138; 400 kmh
Hull: 5D
Shields: 1D+2
Sensors:
Passive: 15/0D
Scan: 30/1D
Search: 55/2D
Focus: 4/4D
Weapons: 3
Laser Cannons Fire Arc: front Crew: 1
Skill: Starship gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1-3/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1.2/1.5 km
Damage: 3D
1 Quad Laser Cannons
Fire Arc: Turret Crew: 1
Skill: Starship gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1-3/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1.2/1.5 km
Damage: 4D

(Note that this is modified from the original stat block and is toned down a bit to fit within Imperial regulations. The original can be found in the Starships of the Galaxy Conversion book on page 6.)

The ship is falling apart, but they own it, and there are no crime lords to pay off for the loan. The real problem is that the ship is constantly in need of repair, and finding the right parts takes scrounging, modification by your techie, or both. That way you can keep them in the need for cash.

The characters are trying their luck on the Galloway Station in the Na'brek sector. They've had hard luck in their last jobs, but they've come to a new sector looking for new opportunities. They've got a little bit of money, and only a few organics in the hold that they can hope to sell off as "exotic" in this new sector.

Once they manage to get a little cash for their supplies, they look for trading opportunities. It's not easy in the new sector. On the Galloway station there are several businesses that have contracts with freighter companies... but there are always a few people looking for some new independents to recruit.

One such character looking to recruit an independent looks like someone who has recently come into money, and is enjoying spending it... and not necessarily tastefully. (Think of a stereotypical pimp, and try to polish him up just a bit to ALMOST pass as someone who might be a respectable business person.) His job is simple... deliver a box. Don't look in the box. They get half the money up front, and they'll get the rest once they make the delivery and return. (And make sure it's a pretty good sum of money for a few-day run... 3,500 would be sufficient.) If they ask what's in the box... the only reply is "organics."

In the middle of their hyperspace run, they run into trouble. The ship starts to shake -- dangerously. The tech insists that they have to drop into real space to make some minor repairs. It's an easy fix, but they can't do it in hyperspace. They come into real space into an ion storm, and the ship gets knocked about. Only superficial damage, but some of the light flicker, systems fail for a moment or two, and the ship is buffeted. In the storm, the box is damaged and the contents are clearly visible... it's a cryo unit with someone in it. What's worse, is that the cryo unit is failing. They cannot stabilize the equipment and can only bring her out of cryo, or let the young female Twi'lek inside die.

The Twi'lek has been a slave, and she doesn't know anything about her new destination. Now the players are left with a choice... deliver her to the new owner, or set her free and find a place for her to live.

Taking narrative license
The backstory on this is fluid. Don't state any of the following backstory options until you know what their choices are. We're tweaking things to make the most interesting story, and not staying rigid to a single idea.

If they do the right thing
If they decide to let her free, you can spend the rest of the time trying to find a decent place on a nearby planet to get her established. When I ran it, the characters found a restraunt with a ma and pa situation where the food was terrible... however the Twi'lek was an EXCELLENT cook, and was happy to work for the people for a reasonable fee. The ma and pa were good folks and were happy to have a good cook and were happy to help her get established in a life on the outside... adventure ends, but with a couple of major problems. 1) They took the money and ran. 2) What they don't know is that the girl's buyer has honest intentions. The buyer was hired by the slave girl's brother to buy her and set her free. The buyer wants the girl back to he can reunite her with her brother. Naturally he doesn't trust the shippers because he doesn't know their intentions in taking the box and running. Both the buyer and the seller are looking for the players... but the difference is that the buyer wants them alive.

If they do the wrong thing
Perhaps they want to just give the girl to the buyer and take the money. The buyer turns out to be a typical slime who wants another slave. The girl begs not to be given over to him, but the still land on the planet and hand her over. The buyer is a little irritated that she's not in cryo, but no harm done. And the buyer insists on treating the players to a night at his luxurious mansion on a remote island on the planet. So, they stay the night.

What they don't know is that the slave girl was actually an assassin sent to kill the buyer/crime boss. In the morning, they find that he is dead, their freighter is gone, and the buyer's ship is disabled. The staff is (naturally) suspicious of the people that have brought their boss a human weapon. They'll have to fight/persuade their way out and find a way to restore the disabled ship to working order, and then try to get their ship back.

Just an idea... I've got another adventure starter if you want a different idea for a neutral campaign.
Zorg
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot!

Sounds like a cool startup adventure! My players will be crying tears of joy that they even have an old rustbucket to fly Razz

Ill try to get them together and play this adventure on next sunday. After that i will update this with how they did.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: