The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

My house rules on Capital ships
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> My house rules on Capital ships
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi AlanRocks
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: My house rules on Capital ships Reply with quote

I saw a thread like this below but it hasn't been active in months so I figured I would start my own thread and you can tell me what you think.

While I don't have capital ships battle very often, when they do I still like to have the players roll for them- even if the PC's aren't directly involved in combat. To figure out initiave I have the opposing Admirals roll their Tactics D and the winner gets to move and shoot first, or they can let their opponent move first if they so choose.

I give each ship a certain amount of D in what I call "crew skill." ( I used to call it Reactor Power) This is a number I come up with based on how well trained and motovated a ship's crew is, not necessarily the handful of stats given under "crew skill." These D can be split up (or not) into the following areas- Shields, Fire Control, Maneuver and damage. I figure this simulates the captain on the bridge yelling "Full power to shields!" or "Evasive maneuvers!"

So for example an ISD with a well trained and motivated crew might have a crew skill of 3D. At the start of combat the player decides how many D he wants to put where. Lets say they all go to shields, so the ship will have 6D in shields that round. Other ships in the fleet might divert a D to shields and 2D to Fire Control. The players roll once, this roll represents a salvo and if the roll "misses" it just means that some guns did land on target but didn't cut through the shields. Certainly we're not going to roll 20 times to simulate EVERY GUN.

I also use a system like this to simulate wings of fighters, a squadron of X wings might have a crew skill of 4D and this can be split up like I mentioned before. If the ISD fires on the squadron we only roll once against the modified X wing stats and light damage sends 1D fighters back to base (and -1D to crew skill), moderate damage destroys an additional 1D fighters (and minus an additional 1D to crew skill) and heavy damage forces the squadron to abandon their attack and return home.

This has been play tested and really works well for me.
For many years West End Games ruled justly until the evil Empire defeated them. The Empire now rules with an iron fist and the d20. There are some who resist and continue to live by the old ways and d6.
Nefasius
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My regular group uses a similar system as we all play Imperial captains, I'll have a look and see if I can't find the stats and whatnot and post up any major differences.
Yak Face
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the concept you describe - I think it would work quite well for large scale engagements. It avoids bogging down in the details. You mentioned that you don't have your PCs involved in the combat very often, but do your PC's ever get involved in ship command? If so, do they alter the available dice, or have other tangible effects?

The old Rules Companion had a chart to magnify FC and Damage for mutiple guns firing - have you ever used such a system to simulate the weight of fire from lots of batteries?

I've used a somewhat more elaborate system, blending most of the rules I could find from various sources ranging from the original Rules Companion to Star Warriors, but it was really only good for battles with, at most, a hand full of capital ships and fighter squadrons (unless we had a lot of time to kill). With a system like yours something grander could be simulated.
Jedi AlanRocks
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yak Face wrote:
You mentioned that you don't have your PCs involved in the combat very often, but do your PC's ever get involved in ship command? If so, do they alter the available dice, or have other tangible effects?

The old Rules Companion had a chart to magnify FC and Damage for mutiple guns firing - have you ever used such a system to simulate the weight of fire from lots of batteries?

My PC's have always been Tramp Freighter types so they don't command Capital Ships. The few times I have had Capital ships go at it the PC's were either on board and watching the battle, and one time they were planet-side while the battle raged overhead. I like 'small fry' PC's who are doing their own thing in their little corner of the Galaxy, but are contributing to the fight against evil.

I might consider using the Captain's Command D as the "crew skill" D if it's not outrageously high. I would probably limit this to about 6D because anything much higher would probably upset the dynamic of the game. I thought I saw something like the table you described once, but I have been combing my sourcebooks and can't seem to find it.

I can't believe you're really supposed to roll 20 times for each gun on an ISD nor could I figure out a way to simulate a squadron of X Wings attacking without rolling for every fighter. I came up with this system because I was so frustrated with how thick the hide is on an ISD, with 7D in the hull and 3D in the shields there's really NOTHING that can hurt them. So I came up with this system which isn't really all that different from the one used in the Star Trek RPG (where I got the basic idea from).

Not to mention I like the idea of the Captain on the bridge shouting orders and this translates into something happening in the game.
For many years West End Games ruled justly until the evil Empire defeated them. The Empire now rules with an iron fist and the d20. There are some who resist and continue to live by the old ways and d6.
Yak Face
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe you're really supposed to roll 20 times for each gun on an ISD nor could I figure out a way to simulate a squadron of X Wings attacking without rolling for every fighter. I came up with this system because I was so frustrated with how thick the hide is on an ISD, with 7D in the hull and 3D in the shields there's really NOTHING that can hurt them.

I agree - rolling lots of times is utterly impractical. That's why I resorted to that table in the Rules Companion that I mentioned earlier, for both capital ship guns and for starfighters in groups. (I'm at work as I write this or I'd provide the page number) One role to hit, one to determine damage, and done. The one adjustment I made was that if the to-hit difficulty was missed by 5 or less, I assumed that 1/2 of the guns firing still hit the target and reduced the damage modifier appropriately. The damage modifier helped the starfighters to be a threat to capital ships.

For dishing out damage on starfighters, I took the raw damage result and multiplied it by the number of guns firing and the damage "level" (1-light, 2-heavy, 3-severe, 4-destroyed) inflicted. For every 4 points in the score I wiped out a fighter. Not realistic on a per ship basis, but I figure it reflected a reduced group effectiveness from having damaged ships in the formation. If a PC was in the formation I just assumed he was better skilled than the others, or simply a George-Lucas-Token-Survivor, and let it go at that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: