The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Sourcebook Section
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Sourcebook Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QMaverick
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Sourcebook Section Reply with quote

I'm not entirely sure if Rancor Pit has the available space/bandwidth to do this, but it'd be sweet if we had a download section on the main page that included all of the fantastic fan-made sourcebooks/guides that have been made by the regulars here.

Or at least, the best of them... Very Happy

I know Rancor Pit couldn't host anything copyrighted, but there's lots of good fan-made supplements out there....

Thoughts?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome idea... though I'm not sure that's something that's going to happen. Loc Taal has limited bandwidth, and you should see the traffic these things get just at my little dinky mirror site.

Second, there's the issue of copyright. These things are fan-made, and they're intended to be used under "fair use." Though, I personally wouldn't risk my own site on hosting them. It's a lot less risky for letting the place being a conduit to discuss them.

Let's just say that some lawyer at Lucasfilm dislikes what I're doing in distributing the conversion guides. We are, after all, using Uncle George's intellectual property to piece together the books. This could go to court and be debated whether we're stretching "fair use" too far or not. (I'm not sure who would win.) In the mean time, my download site gets a C&D an it gets shut down until I win my court battle, file for an injunction, I run out of money, or just give up and take everything down permanantly.

If that happens to my dinky mirror site... no biggie. If it happens to the rancorpit...well... that gets to be a bit more of a biggie.

Granted, this might just me being overly cautious (which is my nature), but it might be safer not to host them here.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're better off just using other means. The Pit used to have links to everything, fan made or not, and it stopped for safety purposes. It's probably wise to keep the two separate. Links to the fanmade books are already in the Tools section and that's probably as far as the Pit should push it. Hosting gets into all kinds of other risks, best to not take them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: