The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Construction times and costs for starships
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Construction times and costs for starships
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronim Deji
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Construction times and costs for starships Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone out there knows where I can find information on the construction times and costs of starships. I am really interested in information pertaining to the construction time for capital scale ships. In our game we have space platforms for starship construction and are looking for some useful guidelines. Thanks.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding the costs of starships seems to be a lot easier than finding construction times. If no one else knows what the construction times are, maybe you should check those of real world cargo ships, yachts, luxury liners, warships, and commercial fishing boats and use them as a basis. As for costs, check the ships the Rancor pit lists as well as ships at the following sites:

Rebel Roleplayers Alliance

Star Wars Deckplans Alliance

West End Game System Stats

Wanted Poster
Ronim Deji
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I have been to those sites before and they are a great source of info. I had thought about comparing modern vessel prices with star wars equivalents but I am not sure how to establish a baseline between the realities so to speak. I am not sure what the difference is between a dollar and a credit (IE dollar = ? credits). Any ideas?
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you could always try using SW Monopoly as a basis. However, I don't think comparing the dollar to the credit is really possible. Though comparing construction times seems more likely.

Wanted Poster
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've always compared a credit to a 1950s-era dollar. Low inflation thanks to the stability of the Republic, and the forced economy of the Empire. In the New Republic, inflation would be a problem.

And I'm trying to remember where I saw comments about Sluis Van shipyards and how long it took them to build ships... I know that there's another statement about the same from Kaut Drive Yards...

But I can't recall where I read them. Sorry.
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may hate me for this, but the really crappy book Starships of the Galaxy for the D20 version of the game has all sorts of information on starship and starbase construction times. You want to know how much it'll cost and how long it'll take to construct a Super Star Destroyer? It's in there.

The D20 rules are useless, but the credits and times should still be easily importable to a D6 game.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ronim Deji
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. I will check the new D20 stuff and do some checks on the economy from the 50's perspective. I did find the price for a modern naval vessel, the aircraft carrier, for those interested. It's about 4.5 Billion dollars. Needless to say I'm sure it's all going to be expensive. Thanks again.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear that I remember a quote from one of the sourcebooks regarding the time it takes Kuat Drive Yards to produce an Imperial Class Star Destroyer. Can someone confirm this for me?
Rahl Jynco
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this will help. These are some of the "rules" (to use the term loosely) we use to make a custom ship. We sat around one day and took a bunch of ships apart to try and find some average sizes and tonage that we think the gutted ships would have. These are not highly detailed but they have worked for us. We just say on average it takes about 4 months to make a starfighter and about 8 or 9 months to make a transport. If there are actual costs or times in detail for the D6 system please let me know, I would love to see just how far off we were when we wrote this.

Length is used as the main measurement that all costs are calculated by, if width is larger use it.

Crew: Defined by ship layout normally 1 or 2.

Passengers: Depends on cargo allcolated to passengers quarters.

Cargo Capacity: Avg gutted ship was 10 tons/meter in length (wo/ Drive, Hyperdrive, weapons, shields ect...)

Consumables: Consumables [per month] x (Crew + Passengers) = Total allcolated tonage
Consumables storage equipment cost = Tonage x 100

Hyperdrive / backup: Prices in Galxy Guide 6

Nav Computer: 5000 Newest most up to date 1/4 ton
2500 Limited to 10 jumps 1/4 ton
Astromech Droid add 1000 for interface 1/2 ton

Maneuverability:
Starfighter 10,000cr per D (4D max) 1.5 tons per D
Transport 10,000cr per D (2D Max) 2 tons per D

Space: Individual Sublight Drives prices in Galxy Guide 6

Atmosphere: See specific drive above

Repulsorlift Generators: 200cr x Maneuverability Die code

Hull: 3 Stage proccess
1. Frame 750cr x ship length in meters
2. Internal coridors and walls 150cr x ship length in meters
3. Hull starts at 1D, adding 1 pip = 150cr x ship length in meters

Shields: Prices in Galxy Guide 6

Sensors:Low 1000 cr. 3 tons(Stock Ghtroc)
Passive: 15 / 0D
Scan: 30 / 1D
Search: 50 / 3D
Focus: 2 / 4D
Med1: 1500cr. 3 tons (Scout Ship)
Med2: 5000cr. 5 tons (A Wing)
High: 20,000cr. 12 tons(Imp Customs)

Weapons: Prices in Galxy Guide 6

After total ship cost is found multiply be scale. Starfighterx1 / Transportx1.5

I deal with temptation by giving in...
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always thought the Credit was more or less an imperial invention. There was no such thing as a unifying currency during the republic age, as you can see when Qui-Gon bargains for the hyperdrive in Episode I...
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters does have a chapter on modifications and repairs that does talk about costs for various ship components along with their instillation costs. And there is a thing early in the chapter that talks about instilation times based on how difficult it is to install an item. There might also be something on it in Pirates and Privateers.

Wanted Poster
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D6 Space Ships. You'd have to change the prices (Maybe cut by 35% or so, I haven't done the math yet.), and use the weapons and whatnought stuff from Tramp Freighters.

As for the Credit, the Old Republic (As mentioned in Knights of the Old Republic) created Basic and the Credit to be the Galactic Standard.

Think of the two as English (Combined with Spanish and French) and the Credit as the US Dollar. If you speak/have those, you'll usually get along in most places. But there's the odd place where it won't accept them at all. Then you need something "More Real".

Tatooine is a small "Backwater" in Hutt Space, think of it as a small country in Africa or South American that's run by an overly corrupt regime (Not to say that *ALL* countries in those areas are corrupt, mind.). The "Boss" hates America/Republic, and gives *REALLY* stiff punishments to folks who accept it, so folks use either the local currency, or something else that the "Boss" doesn't have problems with.z

Gold and Silver are still accepted in places in the world (Worse case, you'll have to hit a Money Changer.). It's said that Han's Reward was paid in precious metals (Hense the "large" boxes he was moving onto the Falcon.).

The Empire FORCED people to use the Imperial Credit as a standard, with stiff punishments (Read: Drop a Star Destroyer or five on the system to "Encourage Trade".).

The New Republic has a problem with it's currency. Mainly due to it's attempt to do so through Diplomatic Means, rather than the semi-force of the Old Republic Economic Force and the full military force of the Empire.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: