The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Conversion - Galaxy at War
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Conversion - Galaxy at War Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mortar Launcher
Model: Czerka CD-12a Grenade Mortar
Skill: Missile weapons: mortar launcher
Ammo: 5 or 1
Cost: 2,500
Availability: 2, X
Fire Rate: 3 or 1
Fire Control: 1D
Range: 20-75/400/750
Blast Radius: 0-2/4/6/10
Damage: 5D/4D/3D/2D
Game Notes: The Czerka mortar launcher can either be loaded by dropping the shell into the mortar tube one at a time, or it may be loaded in a five-shell magazine. A single-drop load may fire once per round, and the five-shell magazine may fire three shells per round. Czerka mortar tube comes with a ballistics software that aids in targeting, accounting for wind and other environmental factors.
Source: Galaxy at War (page 39-40)

There are two things I'm unsure about. The first is the skill. Two other mortar launchers have blaster artillery as the skill, but those weapons seem very different than the standard mortar tube.

The second is the fire control. The flavor text seems to indicate that there is software that aids in targeting. However, the cost is 1,000 less than the closest similar mortar launcher. I'm wondering if this model is too overpowered by the fire control. I've already adjusted the range in order to help justify the cost, as well as adjusting the fire rate.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Tactical Tractor Beam
Model: Olgarius Tech LeverPoint 82c
Type: Tractor Beam
Scale: Character
Skill: Blaster Artillery: Tractor beam
Cost: 8,000
Availability: 4
Range: 1-5/10/20
Damage: 9D
Game Notes: The tactical tractor beam operates similarly to starship tractor beams, though it allows the controller to push objects away as well as pull them towards the tractor beam. The damage code operates as though it were a lifting skill roll in order to reposition heavy objects. It is generally used to quickly construct barricades and other artificial barriers, though can be used in desperate situations as a weapon by picking up nearby objects and using the tractor beam to hurl it at enemies. To determine difficulty and damage, consult the chart below:
Object size Lifting Difficulty Damage
Small__________Easy________4D
Medium________Moderate_____6D
Large__________Difficult______8D
Huge__________Very Difficult__10D

This item requires a generator to operate and must be tripod or vehicle mounted. One of the crew must spend an action regulating the generator. If only one person is available to crew the generator and tractor beam, that crewman must do both (and multiple action penalties apply).
Source: Galaxy at War (page 42)

First thing first, I realized I neglected to make mention of the fact that this is a tripod or vehicle mounted weapon, and that it needs a generator. That's going in next revision.

Okay, I tried to find some way to make this work with WEG's stuff. First, the skill makes me wonder if there's a better alternative, though the closest thing I can find is a Tensor rifle, that uses its own unique skill. However, I thought that a blaster artillery item would be similar enough.

As far as the operation, having this thing work like a lifting skill was the best thing I could think of, especially since Wizards said that it could throw objects. I thought back to Domain of Evil and throwing the boulders onto the rancor. I copied that chart directly.

Another thing is that I'm not sure if this is clear, but this isn't intended to be exactly like a starship tractor beam. I.E., I don't want to leave the impression that you could slap this onto a hull, do the scale conversion and have that count as a starship-scale 3D strength tractor beam. (Though it hardly matters since you can buy a 2D tractor beam for about as much.)

Any suggestions, or is my intent clear and my follow-through okay?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe instead of size being S,M,L,H

Make it Character, speeder, walker, starfighter?

Or give it different weight limits for each of the sizes.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hesitant to doing it by scale. If you look at the Telekinesis weights and scale damage it looks like it wouldn't work all that nicely.

Setting weights to each of the designations that were established in Domain of Evil could be doable. I guess I could look at the lifting difficulty and compare that to a chart in the 2nd ed or R&E and see if I could come up with some weights there. Though, mechanically speaking, is the actual weight all that important? Isn't the main thing the difficulty it would take to lift the imaginary object and do an amount of "D" in damage. In game, the characters would know that a object this big will do more damage than one that big.

But if it makes you feel better I can attach values to those.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only because the "sizes" is a little too open for me. Maybe doing it by lifting, you could also backwards convert from the lifting skill to the random difficulties for damage codes.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do it, and at a first glace I would have agreed with you, but how is it open? Is it that you don't have a concrete number to assign to the mass or volume of the object? Why is the concrete number necessary when you have a general idea, a concrete difficulty and a concrete damage?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you have a point. in the end it's up to the GM.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got it put in as a side not with the approximate value. I used the 2nd edition since it had a very handy chart. Not that I think many of us can eyeball how big a 300 kg rock would be as opposed to a 650 kg rock.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Limpet Mine
Model: Norsam VLX-1010
Type: Anti-vehicle adhesion mine
Skill: Demolition
Cost: 300
Availability: 3, X
Blast Range: 0-1/2/3
Damage: 6D/3D/1D
Game Notes: A limpet mine is designed so that a character may place it on the hull of an enemy speeder or very large droid. Once the limpet mine is placed, it is sealed into place and sets an electronic fuse that will detonates after one round, providing the character placing the mine adequate time to move out of its small blast radius.
Source: Galaxy at War (page 42)

cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Katarn-class Commando Armor
Model: Katarn-class Republic Commando Body Armor
Type: Commando armor
Cost: 30,000 (Not available for sale, 250,000 on the black market)
Availability: 4, X
Upgrade Slots: 3
Game Notes: Armor Protection: +2D physical and energy, -1D Dexterity and related skills.
Comlink: Tongue-activated helmet comlink.
Retractable Vibroblade: Concealed in right gauntlet, does STR+1D+2 damage, uses melee combat skill. May be set to automatically spring out every time the user punches a target, in which case it uses the brawling skill.
Environment Sealed: The armor’s seals allow the wearer to survive in extreme heat or cold, toxic environments, underwater, or in the vacuum of space for up to 24 hours.
Auto-Bacta Injectors: When the wearer suffers a Wounded or worse injury, the system automatically injects bacta on
the affected area. This does not actually heal the wound, but reduces the injury penalty by 1D (and keeps an
Incapacitated character awake, as if he was only Wounded Twice). Unit has a single charge; multiple bacta injections
grant no further benefits.
MFTAS: Multi-Frequency Targeting Acquisition System; adds +2D to Perception and search checks in low-visibility situations, +1D to ranged weapon skill uses against targets moving more than 10 meters per round; polarized lenses
prevent flash-blinding.
Viewplate: Macrobinocular imaging set (50-100/200/500 meters range) with UV nightvision (See MFTAS, above).
Utility Belt: High-tension wire, grappling hooks, spare blaster power packs, ion flares, concentrated rations, spare
comlink, water packs, 2 medpacs, additional supplies pouches.

Source:Source: Galaxy at War (page 44)

This is one bad piece of armor. It's the kind of thing that people would kill for. And if I ever use it in an adventure, it WILL be the kind of thing that people would kill for.

Anyhoo... it looks like Gry's fan-made stats were pretty darn close. There were a few things that were a bit different, but I took inspiration from both with the conversion. There's also a matter of the common-sense approach since some of the technology available in the Stormtrooper armor.

The one big thing that I'm wondering about is the bacta injection. Gry's stuff seems a bit more balanced than what is in the book. Essentially the bacta injectors allow you to do a bit of self treatment and give you a treat injury +10. Really, in D6 it would just equate to a +1D+2 on your first aid roll (since there is a -5 penalty to treat yourself in d20 and there isn't in D6). But it seems as though it would be too much if you could actually heal yourself like a video game right there in the middle of an adventure.

Opinions?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it.

It's good enough to seem appropriate with the Republic Commandos, but it's not "too good". I don't see it as really being that broken. It's slightly better than normal Stormtrooper armor.
wolfe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Katarn suit doesn't seem off kilter at all to what it has been described at doing IMHO.
The bacta injectors doesn't seem out of place and it's not like it's an insty heal for anyone (non video gamish as you were thinking)
It sounds not much more then a nice dose of morphine.
It would be what I would allow.

About the tactical tractor beam the Squib are able to use their tractor beams on their ships to "parry" incoming shots with collected refuse or to hurl it at their foes (Scavenger hunt).
Wish there was more details to help you with there (the one first edition adventure they didn't remake for second edition Laughing )

The only other tech like you seem to be going for can that recall was pressor beams/fields but don't recall any actual stats on those.

The mortar using blaster artillery shell is just a stupid thing that WEG did.
Just how does Blaster artillery give folks the ability to perform plunging fire artillery? No blaster artillery has arcing fire.
I would go with either Missile weapons (as grenade launchers use), or better yet the Artillery skill like the Golan M102 Fire Arc ( a walker scale howitzer found in Rules of engagement) lists, unfortunately I don't recall any skill description for it anywhere for you to look at).

That mortar seems to be based on a real Mortar system the Soviets created a few decades ago (2B9 Vasilek 82mm) and the US army is now playing with, we call it the "Scorpion" but it is nothing more then a Vaselik mounted on a HMMWV.

The limpet mine could also have one of the shaped charge rules added to it to signify it's difference over a regular explosive charge as you do say it has a reduced blast radius which suggests it is a shaped charge.

There is one version in the Rules of Engagement pg 68. :
Successful use of shaped charge (in this case limpet mine)increases the explosions damage +2D.

another is a shaped charge in AJ #3 Aug, 94 pg 184:
when set reduce the strength of the target by 1D.
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I should have been more clear, the damage has already been adjusted for the shaped charges and the limpet mine.

I can double check to make sure it has been increased enough, though.
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anti-Rad Dose
Model: Nilar Med/Tech Corporation Anti-Rad Dose
Type: Radiation Inoculation
Skill: First aid
Cost: 50
Availability: 2
Game Notes: If an anti-rad dose is given to a character before entering a high radiation zone, that character receives a +2D to strength rolls to resist the effects of radiation. The dose may also be used to treat a character after radiation exposure. If used after exposure, it adds +1D to first aid or (A) Medicine rolls to treat a character suffering from radiation sickness.
Source: Galaxy at War (page 45)

The actual dice values if converted directly would be 2D+2 and 1D+2, but what do you expect from something that's just 50 creds?
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Comm Scanner
Model: Courier Communications Scanner
Type: Comm detector and scanner
Skill: Sensors and communications
Cost: 2,500
Availability: 2, R
Game Notes: Allows user to detect and tap into com
transmissions.
Source: Rules of Engagement – The Rebel SpecForce
Handbook (page 42), Arms and Equipment Guide (page 89)

This is the official stat block. However, it's horribly vague. Dare we tack on converted rules as to how it works, or should we just leave WEG as it is?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: