The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Travelling the hyperspace in an A-wing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Travelling the hyperspace in an A-wing Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninja42
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Travelling the hyperspace in an A-wing Reply with quote

I am about to allow a player in one of my games to restore a salvaged A-wing starfighter to working condition, but I need a little clarification of the rules regarding its navigational systems before I let it fly.

The rules text says that the nav com is 'limited to two jumps', in my head that could be a lot of things. Can help me understand how exactly this works? And more specific, how hard will it be for the starfighter pilot to keep up with a freighter equipped with a fully functional nav comp?

I should mention that the party are a band of rogue traders travelling the outer rims, and that the rest of the party rarely limits themselves to only two jumps wherever they are going. How would you deal with a character wanting to be a fighter pilot under these circumstances? The easy way would of course be to deny him the starfighter he wants, but it would ruin a lot of the game for him.

Help?
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two jumps can mean: 2 jumps to get to where you want to go and can be easily reversed to allow you to get back home; or one jump there one jump back. Depends on how mean you want to be.

Now as to the rest of the party. They can beam him the coordinates when they drop out, and depending on how much faster his hyperdrive is, he could be in for a bit of a wait before he gets any back up or company. Also the enemy could intercept the coordinates as they are beamed to him. So gives you a little to play with.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have a few options:

the best in my mind: you can allow the crew to modify their cargo hold to allow an a-wing to dock. This will alow for that chr to participate in hyperspace RP (the least practice, and most expensive, but bets from an RP perspective - so you can give this to them for free / quest reward.)

Now, the A-WING can only STORE 2 jumps, so jumps have to be downloaded to it from a computer able to compute the jumps (EG the freighter) so the freighter can always beam this jump, and the next one to the A-WING, and update every relapse (just in case the next jump is a trap, he has one valid jump to take along the right rout.)

And lastly, a point on Orgaloth's post, when one has a hyperdrive of .5, you CAN always go slower, so he can match the freighters speed in hyperspace.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the A-Wing doesnt really have much of a cargo space to modify. 40 kilograms is about the size of a motorcycle helmet compartment, if memory serves me right.

I have a few alternatives you might wanna take a look at:

- Miniature docking bay on the main craft for the fighter
- specialized RAM that stores double the jumps
- calculating coordinates on the fly (always a possibility, though requires a specialized skill)
- plug in a hardwired R4-P unit, like in the Jedi starfighters
- Jump to one of two predetermined locations in empty space, then get "picked up" by the main vessel, transmitting you coordinates for the next jump
wolfe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Pc with a starfighter can cause various issues for the GM, not only are preprogrammed hyperdrive coordinates an issue, but the limited consumables will be one as well.
A docking port (not bay) can solve some of them.

Docking port with a-wing example
The players can jump once, allow the A-wing to dock, then continue on jumping, it's not as expensive or space taking as a full docking bay.
Players could get creative and make the dock port have a transfer system to allow fuel and air get transferred over as well.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2 biggest things i have had issues with for an A wing, is
1) their consumables.. They are not that much and without docking it is going to get rather unfomfortable in there for long hyperspace trips.
2) their hull.. A good shot from a tie can wreck one.

AS to the comming over the next set of co-ordinates, while that is good, unless you have someone with the comms skill on both sides who has already set up encryption, that transmission can easily be intercepted...
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfe wrote:

Sue me! I'm not a native speaker! =p
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 pre-programed jumps, as in A to B and B to C, or A to B and A to C, or A to B and C to D. I'd would be generous enough to allow A to B to work in reverse also, so B to A wouldn't count as a second one. 2 jumps between two specific systems. I agree that A-Wings were maxed-out in design so have little room for modefications

A-Wngs are cool starfighters for what they do, but probably not too good for the type of play you have in your game. I'd recommend a more practical fighter.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
wolfe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akari wrote:
wolfe wrote:

Sue me! I'm not a native speaker! =p

It had nothing to do with you, I was trying to differentiate the things between us..
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, wolfe you are forgiven... Wink

Anyway, if you aren't dead set on an A-Wing, you might try checking out the Star Viper, a fighter with extendable wings, 1 ton of cargo space, a passenger seat and quite respectable speed, armor, shields, sensors, weapons and maneuverability. Also a backup hyperdrive and a few other goodies.

Usually VERY expensive, but if you are refurbishing anyways...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think the coordinates going one way will work for going back.. TO me it is like how the star gate system works. you have your x axis, y axis, and z axis, plus point of origin. Reversing that won't get you home..
wolfe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I'd be that generous to allow just reversing it, is if it was one reeeaally short jump.
JediGamer
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy,

New guy around these parts, but only because I'm just getting back into the d6 system. But a long time Star Wars fan and used to GM the d6 system waaaaaaay back in the day.

That all said, the A-Wing does have some limitations when it comes to hyperspace jumps. Mainly because they were designed for either quick recon or hit & run missions or were carried on a cruiser as part of a larger battle group. So a refurb/refit would be necessary.

The Tramp Freighter Guide says a replacement Nav Computer is about 2,000 credits. Add in costs for installation, etc. The biggest thing is that since technically you'd not be replacing the computer, I'd ask what is he giving up to make "room" for the ship.

It really depends on if he is looking for a full Nav Computer or if he is looking for just a couple of extra jumps.
wolfe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A-wing might be able to place one in it's cargo compartment if the GM allowed it.
The Y-wing Longprobe replaced the rear gunner seat with both a full nav computer AND a X6 backup hyperdrive.

That's not alot of space to be cramming both systems into.
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How exactly does one travel a full week (or even a month!!) in a fighter cockpit anyways? Its like really cramped, its gotta reek like hell (as there are no toilets, or showers), and your butt is probably asleep more often then not, as you can't just get up and walk around.

I mean, my back hurts badly when I drive in a car for 3, maybe 4 hours without getting out, and my car is a lot bigger (ok, maybe not THAT much, but likely more comfy) then those fighter cockpits...

Or is the pilot put asleep or takes some sort of drugs to cope with that? (Or should I start a new topic with that?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: