The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

orbital nightcloaks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> orbital nightcloaks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darius
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: orbital nightcloaks Reply with quote

Hi, may seem like a wierd question, but does anyone have any idea of the value (credits) of an orbital nighcloak? Especially one big enough to cloak a planet (like Zsinj did with Dathomir). Thanx
Jedi AlanRocks
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cloak a PLANET????

If you have to ask how much it costs, you probably can't afford it. I think it would take years, if not decades, to develop a cloak for a planet- and Billions of credits.

I honestly can't imagine the technology being able to do it. How would you hide the planet's gravity?
For many years West End Games ruled justly until the evil Empire defeated them. The Empire now rules with an iron fist and the d20. There are some who resist and continue to live by the old ways and d6.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually they're already cannon in the EU

Wookieepedia wrote:
The Orbital Nightcloak was a siege weapon deployed by the Galactic Empire. It consisted of a network of hundreds of satellites orbiting a targeted planet. When placed in orbit around a world, the satellites would prevent all sunlight from reaching the surface, creating utter darkness and eventually turning the world to solid ice, killing all life.

Cloak is a bit of a misnomer it doesn't actually hide the planet it shrouds it in darkness gradually freezing it.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Actually they're already cannon in the EU

Wookieepedia wrote:
The Orbital Nightcloak was a siege weapon deployed by the Galactic Empire. It consisted of a network of hundreds of satellites orbiting a targeted planet. When placed in orbit around a world, the satellites would prevent all sunlight from reaching the surface, creating utter darkness and eventually turning the world to solid ice, killing all life.

Jedi AlanRocks wrote:
Cloak a PLANET????

If you have to ask how much it costs, you probably can't afford it. I think it would take years, if not decades, to develop a cloak for a planet- and Billions of credits.

I honestly can't imagine the technology being able to do it. How would you hide the planet's gravity?

you are both right! the cannon exists. and hte price is high enough that it is a plot device more then a weapon a PC can hold. if as a GM you want you or the enemy to have it then they do. otherwise its not available for sale!

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect he'd like an aproximate cost for his risk style Star Wars game.

Perhaps something like, it would cost about the same as a Star Destroyer.

I certainly hope he's not planning on using them in a live action game as he's our GM and I know we've irritated a great many Imperials. Twisted Evil

Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine something like this would cost much more than a Star Destroyer. It's basically a large fleet of craft, I'm sure each of these highly specialized satellites would cost about as much as a starfighter... and it would probably take a couple thousand to properly cover a planet.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it costed as much as the SSD Executor for a full standard size planet worth of satellites..
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From memory the last time the game was run they cost the same as two and a half wings/squads of TIEs

I believe a wing is 144 of the various types of TIEs

Nefasius
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that its more likely to be in the SSD range, as Garkhal said
Jedi AlanRocks
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I totally botched it. My Bad. Orbital Nightcloak, casts a shadow on the planet, now I remember.

No idea how much they cost, but a big piece of metal should do the trick. Why do you want to know the price, I mean, where would you buy one from? Walmart?
For many years West End Games ruled justly until the evil Empire defeated them. The Empire now rules with an iron fist and the d20. There are some who resist and continue to live by the old ways and d6.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he is wanting to make a paper trail the PCs can follow leading to them discovering the Empire building this..
Darius
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian is correct, I want to scale the price of the orbital night cloak with the other vessels in my risk styled Imperial Warlords game. The previous time that we ran the game, Esoomian played Warlord Zsinj and he emulated Zsinjs actions from the books but for completely different reasons.

But if Zsinj though that it was economically feasible enough for him to cloak Dathomir, which other that the Nightsisters etc, was a backwater planet, it must be cheap or easy enuff.

And yes Esoomian, in our star wars campaign, you have upset a lot of Imperials. So much so that your brother is playing the Imperial armada that is hunting you down.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I suspect that a single Nightcloak would cost about what it costs to manufacture a single TIE fighter as they're both quite simple (comparitively) however as you don't need to train a pilot there would be no additional cost in terms of trained pilots.

However a single Nightcloak can't achieve anything so it'd depend on how large the planet is as to how expensive it'd be for a fleet.

Now I think about it you wouldn't have to cover the whole planet, just the light side of the planet. Still it wouldn't be something just anyone could afford.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: