The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New guy into existing group/...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> New guy into existing group/...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: New guy into existing group/... Reply with quote

I cannot remember if i have asked this before so here goes.

What do you all do when you get a new player joining an existing group?
DO you start him out as normal, or give him a bump up..
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my last few campaigns CPs I've handed out as well as an average of how many were spent on skill rolls. I've gotten a good ballpark idea of how many CPs the new player should have, and then given the newbie a bump.

When I didn't used to keep track, I would try to eyeball things and give them a bump.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally wait for a new campaign to start up before including new people. But I don't think I'll be including new people for a while, the last one wasn't that great.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bump them up, but never quite to the level of the other PCs. New PCs shouldn't start out at a point others had to earn their way to, but then again it is rediculous to have them way behind the others because then it becomes too unbalanced and the new guy feels worthless.

The last time I played as a player was at Origins Game Fair this Summer, and I played a new starting-level PC in convention adventures with characters that had put literally dozens (if not hundreds) of CPs into their characters, and it was absurd. I ended up being the official initiative roller for the group because I couldn't do much else.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that with the sparks group?
mdlake
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In principle, I have no problem with bumping, but I rarely find the need. Our campaigns rarely last more than forty sessions, and often less than thirty; new players arriving early in a campaign aren't significantly outstripped, and those arriving late are likely to wait a few weeks and start fresh with the new one. Add that I favor rules-light systems like OtE when I'm GM and that my group doesn't go in for lots of combat, which is more sensitive to power balance than other RPG staples, and the question rarely arises.

When it does, however, I'm unabashedly in favor of as big an xp bump as necessary to make everyone feel like a useful participant.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdlake wrote:
When it does, however, I'm unabashedly in favor of as big an xp bump as necessary to make everyone feel like a useful participant.

Yes.

mdlake wrote:
In principle, I have no problem with bumping, but I rarely find the need. Our campaigns rarely last more than forty sessions, and often less than thirty; new players arriving early in a campaign aren't significantly outstripped, and those arriving late are likely to wait a few weeks and start fresh with the new one. Add that I favor rules-light systems like OtE when I'm GM and that my group doesn't go in for lots of combat, which is more sensitive to power balance than other RPG staples, and the question rarely arises.

I guess I should have clarified that it is only after a long ways into the campaigns that I would need to bump anyone up a bit. I've had some campaigns go two years so if someone is added later on, they are significantly behind. But if they are added soon after the campaign starts, then there would be no need to bump them.

garhkal wrote:
Was that with the sparks group?

I believe that is what they are called. Some good things I can say about them are that the three adventures I played were well-written, and some of the longtime, experienced players were great role-players and a joy to play with. These people love Star Wars D6, no doubt.

But it doesn't make a lick of sense to have characters with 6D as their average skill that they've raised, and then also have starting-level PCs in the same adventuring group, IMO.

Also, many of the adventures are a part of a chronology but scheduled out of order, and the adventures are repeated over the years, so convention PCs can each individually play them out of order. Multiple PCs could have each played the same previous adventure but at different times, which means the plot of the adventure happened multiple times, and previous NPC hat were killed have been brought back to life to do it all over again multiple times. Some of the CPs that any PC may have earned before the adventure at hand may have been awarded from playing an adventure that happens in the future of the current adventure.

In one game session I actually witnessed a conversation between two experienced convention players discussing a new, mysterious NPC in a current adventure, and that they knew her from a previous adventure they had each played at different times. Then they realized that the adventure took place in the future of the current adventure, so they hadn't met her "yet". But both of their PCs had CPs earned from that adventure that hadn't happened yet. All that only makes sense if the convention PCs are travelling back and forth through time and paralles universes, but they offer no such explaination. It's a mess.

Sorry, that was a tangent more than just the topic of experienced PCs mixed with starting level ones. Embarassed
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will pass on your 'discussion points' to the sparks council. ANd thanks for the cudos on our love of D6!~
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I will pass on your 'discussion points' to the sparks council. ANd thanks for the cudos on our love of D6!~

Thanks! Please let PM me any of their responses (since you do not seem to have any yourself). All the long-timers I met were all great, friendly guys so I'm looking forward to hearing from the council. But the whole thing was just a logical nightmare for me.

And back to the topic of this thread, I'm not sure why any GM (or council of GMs) would think it is a good idea to mix starting-level PCs with very experienced PCs that have 200 CPs worth of advancements into their characters. How is that game balanced or fair? How can the players of the noob characters have much fun? The only fun I had was vicariously through watching the experienced players play their characters.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To them since we have tiering in effect for most baddies (well above mook status), it should be up to the gm whether the baddies get tiered or not when it comes to mixed groups.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that adding new players into an established and experienced group can be difficult if not impossible to pull off well. If one gives the new player enough skill points, sorry CPs (1st Ed. Flashback!) to catch up, then those points were not earned and may cause tension between players.

One also cannot simply toss a shiny new character into the fray and see what happens. At best, the newbie will be ineffectual and the player will feel left out. At worst, the newbie will become quick target practice for any adversaries and could endanger the entire party, although the latter provides a bounty of roleplaying opportunities.

What about a mix of some CPs and unique skills? Perhaps not totally unique, but some skills or abilities lacking in the other party members, but necessary to advance the campaign. Sort of filling a niche and rounding out the party. I've had some success with that over the years. I found it very engaging and enjoyable to all involved.
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we would have "Guest Players" I would usually give them a ballpark number of bonus Skill Dice and let it be that. We were running a Rebellion-era game where the PCs were Rebel Operatives, so bringing in new characters was easy enough just by having him temporarily assigned to the group.

I also pulled what I call the "Lando Trick" a couple of times. In that I introduced the new player along the lines that Lucas introduced Lando, with the new Character being a friend of one of the old who could help them out of a tight spot.

Let me make you a picture!
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to keep track of total cp a character earned. a new guy would have 1/2 as many cp as the guy with the least cp. i did like this in d and d with xp also to calculate noob levels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: